Where do you go for food shopping? I heard that most people borrow a car and go up to Costco once a month?

"Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, for knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind. And greed, you mark my words, will not only save Teldar Paper, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA."

Gekko21:
Where do you go for food shopping? I heard that most people borrow a car and go up to Costco once a month?

If you ever get a chance to do any of the greenmarkets either in Union Square or other places in the Village, do it. You won't find everything you are looking for, but there lots of good produce. Trader Joes is also good. I personally like Whole Foods, because it has everything. It's a bit on the pricy side, but like someone else said, with the pay, groceries will be one of your least expensive expenses.

Best Response

haha im not the best person to answer these questions actually, sorry!

grocery shopping -- I usually eat out, so when I need groceries I just go to a store in my area. In the city, trader joes is known as relatively cheap...but there can be huge lines! If you are in IBD, food will not be your biggest expense so I wouldnt go out of my way to save on groceries.

Roommates....haven't had that experience as I live with college buddies. My guess is that it would be best to find someone you know at your uni that's going to NYC, im sure a lot of kids are having the same issues.

Financial District sucks at night. If you want to go out, you'll basically need to take a cab every time. That said, I've been living in soho/west village and kind of contemplated moving to FiDi because you can get a sick place in a high rise for the price of my prewar walk up. I would only do it if your office is in Financial though, otherwise it's way too much of a hassle. If you do find an apartment there, before signing the lease I suggest you walk around the building at night to find the closest bar, corner store, liquor store, etc. to make sure you know when things close.

BabyBuster:
Im starting as well (BB IBD). Have a roommate, we're trying to figure out where to live. Any advice?
Best location in terms of life quality for our age is downtown - Soho, Noho, Nolita, East Village, West Village, Lower East Side. If your office is in midtown, consider living closer. I think murray hill is quite popular with analysts. Midtown looks nice and clean, but nightlife is basically downtown with very rare exceptions (i.e. nikki beach, etc). All a matter of preference...

I will be starting as well . Just want to echo mango123 - can you explain the different methods for finding an apt? I'm used to college, where you have to find a spot months or even a year in advance. What are the benefits of using craigslist, using a broker, etc.?

Apartments -- good question. What I usually do is get a broker and look myself online simultaneously. When I was looking for my current apartment, I had 3 brokers running around and probably looked at 30+ apartments, but the one I actually signed I found on craigslist! Don't be afraid of fucking over brokers. If you have a lot of time and they don't show enough places per day, get another company (in addition). They charge ~12% of annual rent which is very pricey. Some people use a broker to find the place, then quietly reach out to the landlord and rent directly bypassing the fee (this doesn't always work though, obviously)

So if I were you I would do both. Look at as many places as you can, especially if you've never lived in the city just to get to know the market. Some places are very overpriced, others are underpriced. But you wouldn't necessarily know if you only look at like 5 places.

Also, I'd advise against living by yourself in the first year. At $70 base, you can't really afford it and you'll get fucking lonely. NYC is a very solitary place, it helps to have someone to go with for a casual midnight pint after you come home. Otherwise you would often literally not speak to a single person outside your group on the weekdays, and it can get depressing. Ideally room with some marketing guy so you can go out with his hot coworkers :)

bleheh 10:
do not move to Murray Hill. The entire I-just-graduated-college-and-I-still-think-i'm-in-college population moves there. Go somewhere downtown near union square, unless you work midtown
I personally do not have any opinion/experience of Murray Hill, but why the hell would being surrounded by young out-of-college kids be a bad thing?

would you rather live on upper east side with grandmas or with slutty "college" girls?

that said, I agree that downtown would be better. Union Square is a nice area I used to live there

Dolores non qui rem dignissimos libero quasi. Rerum dicta in qui omnis necessitatibus qui odio.

Corporis commodi cupiditate aliquam facilis voluptas totam. Illum quis veniam voluptas ea repudiandae. Aperiam qui ut magni aliquid necessitatibus odio quasi.

Officia exercitationem enim deleniti ut. Impedit voluptas officiis odio voluptatibus est voluptatem aliquam.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”