To those who are currently living in NYC or have lived there as a 1st yr analyst...how did you go about finding an apt and do you have any specific tips to share?
- Current budget for 3 ~$4500 looking for a flex3BR
- Looking to live Midtown East/Gramercy/LES/Murray Hill/Hell's Kitchen
- West side is okay but basically anything above FiDi and below 42nd that's near a metro
Any recommendation on specific apartment/buildings? Brokers?
Broker vs No Broker for Finding an NYC Apartment
Finding an apartment in NYC can be difficult. Inventory is in short supply and turnover happens quickly. Working with a broker can help, but you'll have to pay high fees even if you find the apartment yourself online first. There are lots of other threads on WSO about searching for apartments in NYC. Check out Recommended Reading below.
Here are some other recommendations for trying to avoid broker fees:
- StreetEasy (this site is a bit more geared toward buying/selling homes, many rentals are from brokers)
- Naked Apartments
- Craigslist (but it may take a bit of searching to find a quality apartment)
- Walk in to luxury buildings in the areas of interest and ask about availability