NYC SA 2021 Housing & COVID-19

(For context, I am not from the NYC Metro Area)

I am having trouble deciding what to do with summer housing in NYC for an SA 2021 role. Not sure if the internship will be remote and don't want to lock into anything without confirmation. Are there any recommendations? What have other incoming SA 2021 interns decided to do?

Most Helpful

At a BB and maybe this is foolhardy to predict, but De Blasio put forth the goal of 1 million NYC residents vaccinated by the end of January and while that is probably too ambitious, I think we could assume ~700k could be vaccinated by then. 700k is just under 10% of the NYC population and vaccination speeds will only pick up towards the summer. Assuming another 800k more people get vaccinated each month in NYC (which is conservative) 

700k January

1.5m February

2.3m March

3m April

3.7m May

~4.5m June

In 2018, NYC population was around 8.5m and given COVID-19 I think it's safe to say that dropped down to around 7.5m which leads us to around 60% immunity which is pretty solid. I'd say firms would require people to get vaccinated if they come to the office in NYC, but either way I think there is a strong chance if you want to be in person you can be. Just my two cents, fair to agree or disagree

I agree but dont you also have to take into account the population shift of residents leaving NYC once the summer starts and new employees, vacationers, etc.. coming into the city? I dont think it'll be enough to make much of a difference but don't around 100-500k people move into NYC each year during the summer months?

I know there's word that some companies in different parts of the country will try to persuade employees to get the vaccine so they can come back into the office ASAP. I feel like a good amount of companies will probably want to try to have in person training for both internships and incoming FT employees, however I think that'll be hard to do for these groups as people would most likely need to get tested and vaccinated before traveling to their work location and this may be hard as the vaccine may not be available to certain groups in certain parts of the country. I can see this being a thing though for employees that are already at the company and live near the office.

there is no way anyone is going back to the office until at least summer.  probably not even till fall or later.  if it's a remote internship, save your money and don't bother.

Sequi facere ut iure et omnis cumque consectetur. Dicta et vitae provident ea unde veniam eum eaque. Numquam id fugiat consequatur nesciunt. Illum ut officia et praesentium. Quisquam repellendus tempore laborum nisi nulla. Voluptatem eos est est et nemo et accusamus.

Quis dolor impedit quo sit quasi qui. Ut assumenda earum autem. Voluptatum dolorum harum quod harum quibusdam dolorum.

Neque debitis rerum laboriosam impedit officia. Quia hic quas enim.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”