Obama Budget Caps Retirement Accounts at 205k/yr Annuity

Essentially, the Obama Budget wants to cap the amount that can be kept in any tax deferred retirement account at at 205k annuity amount. Today that would be about 3mil in an account. In 2006 it would have been only 2.2mil. Obama justifies this by saying that it only effects a very small amount of the population (which is true) but that number is a bit misleading considering that basically anyone under 45 is not going to have that much in a tax deferred account no matter how much they make. So we are essentially just discouraging tax deferred savings in the long run. Anyways, here's the link: http://blogs.marketwatch.com/encore/2013/04/10/obama-budget-would-cap-i…

Thoughts?

Best Response
<span class=keyword_link><a href=/company/trilantic-north-america>TNA</a></span>:
This is old. But I respect Obama. I didn't think I could despise him any more than I already do, but he just upped the ante. Respect.

I heard about it but I never really understood what the proposal was. Okay, so they cap it at $2 million or whatever. Does that mean that, if enacted, someone like Mitt Romney would have to distribute all but $2 million of his IRAs to get under the "cap"? Or would it be like a penalty assessed on amounts over and above the $2 million, in a similar manner as excess contributions are?

Or, is it only for future earnings? For example, if you're IRAs are at $1.99 million and it gains another $100,000, do you have to take a distribution in order for the IRA balance to be under the $2 million?

It just sounds like bad policy all around. Plus it only get like, what, $8 billion over 10 years? That's reduces less than 1% of our current deficit, over the span of 10 years. Stupid.

This would be an interesting one to see them implement. What about illiquid, hard to value assets? What if you had a blockbuster year and your 401(k) doubled from $2mm to $4mm? Are you then forced to liquidate the assets because your account over-performed? I can only imagine that this would be one very complex piece of legislation...

Also, I imagine any tax savings would likely be a one-time occurrence as the Mitt Romneys of the world transfer assets around. Going forward, anyone with that kind of wealth would place and grow their money differently.

CompBanker’s Career Guidance Services: https://www.rossettiadvisors.com/

CompBanker:
This would be an interesting one to see them implement. What about illiquid, hard to value assets? What if you had a blockbuster year and your 401(k) doubled from $2mm to $4mm? Are you then forced to liquidate the assets because your account over-performed? I can only imagine that this would be one very complex piece of legislation...
Yes, exactly, this is the heart of what bothers me about this: the gov't is thinking in "defined benefit" terms and not "defined contribution" terms. Putting a fixed dollar amount cap is impossible to implement without endless complications, least of which the cap not being adjusted for inflation. If the contribution is defined in terms of a financial ratio, then the numbers are more relevant.
Get busy living

wtf... I thought this was only for IRAs. They're doing it for 401k's too?? Okay, this definitely won't pass - Not worried since most of congress is millionaires.

Also, anybody wanna mind-fuck me and tell my why Obama is tackling the deficit by going after "only a very small amount of the population"? $100 to whoever says something that isn't completely retarded.

BTbanker:
Also, anybody wanna mind-fuck me and tell my why Obama is tackling the deficit by going after "only a very small amount of the population"? $100 to whoever says something that isn't completely retarded.

The Democrats lose votes if he goes after the little guy. Going after the big guy won't hurt them politically in any way.

"You stop being an asshole when it sucks to be you." -IlliniProgrammer "Your grammar made me wish I'd been aborted." -happypantsmcgee

D M:
BTbanker:

The Democrats lose votes if he goes after the little guy. Going after the big guy won't hurt them politically in any way.

That would imply that Democrats only care about getting reelected, which is most certainly true, but you can't tell me that's not retarded.

BTbanker:
wtf... I thought this was only for IRAs. They're doing it for 401k's too?? Okay, this definitely won't pass - Not worried since most of congress is millionaires.

Hah it would be funny to see Congress reduce their own benefits. If the upper end of earners start paying more into the system and reduce their benefits, it's easier to sell the rest of the country on doing the same: lead by example. Taking a shot in the dark here, but "do as I say not as I do" doesn't work well in America.
Get busy living

BTbanker:

I believe it's only for IRAs, not 401ks (I was the one who wrote the first piece on this). Thing is, this makes the whole idea far stupider then if it applied to all retirement accounts. This whole idea came about from Mitt Romney's $100 million IRA that, apparently, outraged someone or another. But, really, the strategies that were employed to get an IRA to $100 million can be utilized to get a 401k to $100 million.

Impressive, right? You have to admit, it's very difficult to construct something this complex that will accomplish absolutely nothing it's intended to do.

"My caddie's chauffeur informs me that a bank is a place where people put money that isn't properly invested."

The conceptual part of this was covered in the last thread on IRA caps. The whole point of IRAs and retirement accounts is so that people are encouraged to save enough to live decently in retirement. What they are not for is building a fortune tax free. So that's the theory driving this action.

I'd like to see tax rates lower overall to begin with, so the tax benefit of an IRA shouldn't have so much power in the first place. Really, the gov'ts "solution" to their crappy social security racket is to...not tax a personal account? That's the best our gov't can do? I'm not impressed.

My personal issue, I disagree with putting a fixed $amount cap, it should be function of average income. Gov't programs are terrible for keeping themselves relevant in the face of inflation. When the IRA tax structure was first created, $5,000 was 'more' wealth...now it's less and the cap should be raised.

Example: in 1975, average houshold income was $49,946 so $5,000 was 10% of income. In 2009, average household income was $70,544 so $5,000 was 7% of income. So, for this program to be as effective as it was in 1975, the standard individual cap should be raised to 7 grand. The gov't is too (fill in the blank) to regularly update its systems and keep them relevant.

Source: http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/cats/income_expenditures_poverty…

Get busy living

Et fugit similique et eligendi consectetur magni non est. Dicta eius libero sint omnis aspernatur aliquam vel. Deleniti fugiat sed ea quaerat quam. Impedit minima laudantium velit numquam atque cum. Labore nesciunt ex non sit. Est placeat aut sunt maiores iure consequatur.

Explicabo omnis sed a hic non laboriosam corrupti amet. Quas cupiditate voluptas fugiat. Et et voluptatem non tempora. Ut ab facere accusamus officiis consequatur.

Dolor architecto architecto velit non et voluptatem quaerat. Autem similique laboriosam cumque ipsam facilis. Error nisi aliquam exercitationem pariatur.

Atque quis distinctio aut sequi alias ex cum. A consequatur voluptas autem modi dolorem dolores. Nemo est fugiat laboriosam excepturi labore aut explicabo. Molestias optio nesciunt sed assumenda voluptas et. Ullam qui blanditiis voluptas autem et. Nihil enim incidunt dignissimos laudantium qui.

Get busy living

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”