Offer Received, Interview Pending

I have an offer from Goldman Sachs Tech (back office), and an interview with Credit Suisse IBD (front office). Goldman wants an answer soon. How can I nicely and professionally ask Goldman HR to wait for me to hear back from Credit Suisse? Credit Suisse said they'd have an answer to me by the end of the month, but I haven't been able to get in touch for the last week because of the winter holidays.

Comments (15)

Jan 2, 2013

You're thinking about turning down the most prestigious group in banking?

    • 1
Learn More

Side-by-side comparison of top modeling training courses + exclusive discount through WSO here.

Jan 2, 2013

Not that prestige is my main factor, but you're saying Goldman Tech is more prestigious than Credit Suisse Investment Banking Division?

Jan 2, 2013

How do you get an offer from Goldman Tech if you can't answer that question yourself?

    • 1
Jan 2, 2013

@DoWellByDoingGood when did you have your first round for CS and when did you hear back about superday?

    • 1
Jan 2, 2013

Let's clear something up here: GS technology department or GS tech banking?

    • 1
Jan 2, 2013
SirTradesaLot:

Let's clear something up here: GS technology department or GS tech banking?

Ah fuck, totally slipped my mind

Jan 2, 2013

@wallstreetmusic Goldman Tech superday was a few weeks ago and I got the offer a few days after. Credit Suisse is for Singapore office, so all of the interviews have been and will be by phone. CS HR already told me they want to schedule the next round of interviews "right after new years."

Jan 2, 2013

I think he means Technology Department, so basically its BO

Jan 2, 2013

@SirTradesaLot Ohhh yes that is confusing! It is for the Technology division (not the investment banking division). Investment Banking division focused on tech companies would be my top choice if I had it, but I'm not being picky at this point.

Jan 2, 2013

Just get an answer from CS asap. People should be back tomorrow. You can tell them you have other offers that are pressuring your for a decision, if you need to. Most likely, people just weren't in the office last week.

Jan 2, 2013

Agreed but I just made it past first round. It'll take some time, even if telling them about the offer speeds things up. There is still second and third round to go. (Goldman wants an answer by close of business).

I was hoping y'all could give me some advice on how much I should divulge to Goldman to get extra time.

Jan 2, 2013

Ok, I didn't get that. You're going to have to figure out how much you want to roll the dice. You can ask them for more time, but they'll probably say no or give you a week or two. (you can just say something like, "I have opportunities in wildly different areas, so the choice is not just GS vs. another firm, but entirely different career paths, so I want to make sure I am considering all angles. Can I have some more time please?")

If this is for a summer position, I'd roll the dice with CS if you run out of time. If this is for full time, it's more difficult and your call. If you are sure you will not want to take the IT job, you can just tell them you are more interested in IBD and can ask if they hook you up with that dep't. Very risky though, as there is a good chance they won't and you could lose your current offer. But, if you don't care and are going to reject it anyway, then what do you have to lose? That doesn't sound like your state of mind though.

Jan 2, 2013

I would still be honored by a GS Tech positon -- not a bad job for a graduating undergrad. However, any bulge-bracket IBD would be way better, and Credit Suisse has a great reputation and culture from what I've heard.

Jan 2, 2013

@SirTradesaLot thanks for the advice :). These are for full-time positions, so the decision is important for me. I did internships in a number of other fields before, and definitely would like an IBD role as my next challenge.

Jan 2, 2013

1-Click to Unlock All Comments - 100% FREE

Why do I need to be signed in?
WSO is a knowledge-sharing community that depends on everyone being able to pitch in when they know something.
+ Bonus: 6 Free Financial Modeling Lessons with 1-Click Signup ($199 value)