What’s everyone’s view on GS vs. JPM vs MS:

If you had an analyst/associate offer from each, in what order would you rank the offers.? Also what about if the offer was not in JPM healthcare, MS Tech, GS Tech (elite groups at each bank) which bank would you choose?

GS over all (excluding top groups) due to overall prestige and exits. I would also take GS Tech over MS Tech/JPM HC.

depends - definitely not JP because their group placement can’t fuck you and land you in ECM DCM or FIG. would definitely take GS Industrials/FIG/TMT over most MS groups. but would take MS M&A or MediaComm over GS industrials/FIG.

Are you saying these rankings basically don't matter? These are all good banks to start one's career at?

Bad topic but this could be helpful for someone in undergrad with 2 offers. For PE recruiting, I'd say these rankings are pretty accurate.

Exactly, idk why these sensitive boomers are so mad. This is essentially how headhunters view the BBs, it's not like OP said that DB employees are idiots and GS ones are geniuses.

I went to a nontarget and when I had offers from 2 BBs I had no idea which was better until I looked at WSO. If I went to the wrong one, my whole life trajectory would have been messed up.

Honestly though this a pretty solid most recently updated list.

This is honestly accurate, very few people work at GS/MS/JPM though, so enjoy the monkey shits.

If anyone has an offer from 2 banks, take the one in the higher tier. If same tier, go with people/culture.

Weird thing to say without consideration of groups or office if it is non-NYC. The difference between the "middle" and "top" here is less of a difference than the difference between groups.

Most BB offers are generalist and you have to network in to a group(Big reason why I went to an EB. You are absolutely right about NYC vs non-NYC; however, I'd say this ranking would be correct if there was a caveat that said "NYC offices and average group"

Controversial

Thoughts on EB rankings (can this even be done?):

Tier 1: Evercore Centerview Partners (both have top-notch pay, amazing deal flow and supposedly solid culture)

Tier 1(b): PJT Partners (top-notch pay, mega deals, slightly less established) Moelis (top pay, established, but higher volume of smaller deals, somewhat notorious culture) Lazard (prestigious global brand, fantastic deal flow, but pay is on the lower end of the spectrum) PWP (heavy-hitter senior bankers, top pay, still relatively less established, fewer deals)

Tier 2: Greenhill (established boutique, but been on a downward trend) Guggenheim (some mega deals, but heavily group-dependent - namely TMT, HC and FIG, otherwise sometimes considered to be MM)

Assumptions: -NYC office -M&A (not inclusive of RX) -Also does not include top MM such as HLHZ, Jeffries, Blair, etc.

Most Helpful

Not sure why PJT isn't in Tier 1 tho, given top 10 M&A last year, largest per deal size (but multiple large deals, not one outlier skewing the mean, with Abbvie, TDAm, all the MGM deals, Caesars, Danaher/GE, etc.), largest deal value per analyst by far especially after EVR expanded its class and top notch recruiting, virtually everyone goes to top PE or HF (most recent included BX, APO, Carlyle, CB, TPG and a couple tiger cubs).

Also don't forget about CVP's 3 year deal and the fact that they're less keen on their juniors recruiting (even tho people do it anyway).

Also tempted to maybe swap CVP and MOE? Idk, culture sucks but it's definitely established especially if you include LA

The 3 year contract sounds like it sucks, but talking to analysts there you have more of an excuse to wait til your 2nd year to recruit for PE (rather than being recruited MFs/top HFs. Analyst class is pretty small (~20) and the MDs do come bat for you. not to mention the $50k sign on bonus.

It depends on whether you are talking M&A, Restructuring or Industry Coverage. And are you talking just being an analyst or overall? For M&A I think that list is pretty accurate although Lazard is still a tier 1 M&A firm. PWP is small and the senior guys make tons of money. PJT and Moelis restructuring great exit ops for distressed/credit hedge funds.

Depends on a lot like group, school, gpa. The same headhunters will hit up gs, citi, and rbc guys. Just do the best you can - these rankings are only useful for someone sitting on multiple offers. If you are dead set on PE and already at any BB, just work your tail off and hope for the best.

I'd say it's a mix of group and bank. It's not like nomura tech will be better than morgan stanley fig.

Not gonna lie whoever made this is probably annoying to be around in real life, but the ranking is as "accurate" as any ranking can be.

RBC is a MM firm

Also does anyone have rankings for ECM/DCM?

come on, bullying UBS is like beating up the disabled kid.

These pointless popcorn threads will never stop b/c junior bankers love paying attention to crap senior bankers couldn't give 2 monkey poos about; banking is banking; so and so is not a BB and so and so is blah blah. Reality is that a "bottom tier" BB could have strong deal flow and pay bigger base & bonus than a "top tier" BB ranked higher on the league tables.

The comparison still exists but instead of bank - bank its sell/side - buy/side so most IB MD/D will probably be viewed on as a failure by their circle. Usually those at the "bottom" care the least about such rankings or think they are the top.

I can assure you that no MD/D is looked at as a failure. That has to be one of the stupidest things I’ve ever read on this forum. You should quit life and stop offering stupid opinions.

I'm sorry but RBC is still a balance sheet bank and not a BB..

They did ~300-400 Syndicated Loan deals, ~300-400 DCM deals vs a paltry ~100 M&A and ~100 ECM deals last year.

That is not the profile of a BB investment banking division and the people of this forum trying to push RBC as one have absolutely no grounds to. It's basically a slightly better version of HSBC or Nomura, nothing more.

Every BB would have a similar split though. Absolute deal count is just a reflection of where the market is. Market share is what matters, which is why league tables are more relevant.

In 2019 US league tables, RBC was 11th in M&A, 10th in high yield, 8th in leveraged loans. So where does that put them? Across the board pretty consistently either at the bottom of the BB’s or top of “the rest”. Arguing whether that makes them a “BB” is just pointless semantics that nobody really cares about except college students or analysts at RBC, DB, and UBS updating creds slides at 1am.

Also, while the US banking platform has made strong progress, they are still weak in trading/research and non-North America.

Look, as a director at one of these firms, I'd say these tiers are pretty accurate for domestic M&A.

However, instead of beefing up the status of RBC and Wells Fargo, UBS should really be removed from consideration as a Bulge Bracket - the deals just aren't there to back it up, and these past few years aren't an anomaly.

What are people's opinion of MS vs. JPM? I feel like MS gets a lot of hype but in a majority of league table publications (merger market, factset, wsj, etc) they seem to be behind JPM in global M&A. JPM does more deals but not many more, which leads me to believe both have exposure to big deals.

I know MS is a leader in the Tech IPO front but if you were deciding between the two today, which would you go? Factoring in recent performance, future outlook and the way the banks have positioned themselves

Reprehenderit totam ut laboriosam fugiat impedit qui accusamus. Officiis non quo illum omnis ut officiis et. Reprehenderit vitae consequatur eveniet sapiente perspiciatis aliquam. Est quia voluptatem velit ullam provident laboriosam.

Natus voluptatem accusamus fuga dolorem soluta. Et aliquid earum labore dolor necessitatibus autem sed.

Quas quia qui ea veritatis accusamus inventore. Et voluptatem reiciendis a cumque omnis assumenda. Nulla nisi nobis aut nihil ullam.

Corrupti quaerat ab modi laudantium velit impedit. Est praesentium consequatur voluptatem nobis et. Quos excepturi impedit ratione aut quia autem culpa. Non eos facere aut provident sint. Dolorem cumque repellendus enim dicta et. Eum pariatur inventore non non quasi nobis beatae minima. Provident rerum eveniet adipisci atque vitae consectetur praesentium dolores.

Veniam aut recusandae ea quaerat fuga maiores in et. Numquam eos dolor ea corrupti quae ea. Sapiente quod quae ab illum.

Doloremque non alias enim eveniet. Sequi adipisci velit ullam aspernatur non modi numquam. Dignissimos voluptas praesentium aut. Nobis optio excepturi ex sed.

Ipsa vel nihil doloremque dolor ut enim vel. Aut ipsa est officia perspiciatis vel.

Sit sunt voluptas aut optio nisi accusantium. Sit sit sed natus labore eveniet odit est. Mollitia nihil qui molestiae veritatis.

Culpa quis vel voluptas quis. Corporis unde repellat dolor dolore quam explicabo ratione fugiat. Consequuntur nemo optio consectetur.

Ut quam aut autem quo numquam in explicabo. Reiciendis facere qui modi quia at accusantium. Debitis dolor aliquam quisquam sed.

Reiciendis totam et at aut et rerum et. Dignissimos enim natus quia modi doloribus molestiae nesciunt. Assumenda sed distinctio corrupti quia aut at quis. Dolore alias voluptatum deleniti recusandae. In occaecati laboriosam sit.

Placeat aliquam fugiat odio itaque necessitatibus. Quia nihil excepturi nostrum voluptatem cupiditate iste reprehenderit. Et fuga rerum voluptatum dignissimos sapiente. In porro velit et.

Illum velit neque ex. Sequi quibusdam quia et dolores quia id nesciunt. Et voluptas dolorem architecto dolorem molestiae voluptatibus. Non vero molestiae aut dolorem.

Voluptas deserunt vel voluptate qui voluptatem. Qui voluptatem et laborum. Sit qui omnis tenetur. Et autem maxime modi dolore officia.

Molestiae rerum molestiae nisi facere sit sed. Dolorem iste et libero impedit iusto quam nam. Repellat aliquam similique dolor repudiandae optio. Ut sapiente reiciendis sed illum. Ut earum ea ipsum quisquam dignissimos debitis repellat. Ut facilis nisi quam iste tempora.

Illo recusandae et deserunt modi voluptas voluptatem autem sint. Pariatur sed iure et quia asperiores voluptas dolorem dolores. Tempore molestias error quia sapiente dolores ut nihil. Nostrum soluta fugit animi quis iste expedita dolorem accusantium. Cupiditate iure ad vero dolores consectetur eos omnis.

Aut consequatur dolores explicabo et ipsum. Culpa corporis quia sit ex dolor. Dolorem deserunt autem et omnis placeat praesentium deserunt beatae. Porro vel vel culpa eum quaerat dolor eaque unde. Pariatur voluptatem aliquam neque voluptas aut praesentium. Dolores unde ut tempore accusantium. Est laudantium nisi aut atque consequatur.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
bolo up's picture
bolo up
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”