Oliver Wyman 2020 reputation

Prospect in IB-M&A

Hello,

I can't seem to find too much info on OW as of recently. I'm just wondering how it compares to MBB in 2020, especially in terms of exit opps and comp. Also would love to hear about the culture there and lifestyle. Lastly, if anyone knows anything about OW's recruiting with regards to COVID-19 that would be helpful as well. Thanks for any input.

Comments (19)

Most Helpful
May 10, 2020

Comp is similar for first 2-3 years, then gap opens at Associate level and widens considerably at EM/Principal. Exit opps are good (midsize/large startups, financial institutions, MBA, etc) but seem driven more from personal searches than constant recruiter reach outs/exit support network that may be at MBB. Hours will typically be in the 55-65/week range; average project would be something like 9-9/10 M-Th and 9-5/6 F. Very strong culture, with main differentiating factors being: industry focus (most projects in financial services/healthcare/aviation/etc), tendency to specialize earlier, and focus on growing talent from analyst to partner (leading to the relative lower focus on exit opps, MBA, etc.)

May 11, 2020

I turned down an offer from them because the comp was much lower than Strategy& (like 20%) This was last year so it could have changed. I'm also post-MBA which I know is not a huge recruiting priority for them.

May 11, 2020

would you have taken the offer if comp had been similar to S&? Why or why not?

May 11, 2020

It's tough to say. I think both are roughly equivalent in terms of prestige, exits etc. People that say otherwise are probably just cheering for the home team. I liked the culture a little bit more at OW (more intellectual, more of a pure consulting firm), but I would have had to specialize in my pre-MBA industry...I dodged a bullet there because that industry got decimated by COVID... overall, I would say OW is rather biased towards its undergrad hires so sensible advice would be: S& if you are an MBA or experienced hire; OW if you're an undergrad.

Jun 29, 2020

MBA base pay was about 5% lower at OW than S& this year

May 12, 2020

how does Deloitte compare to OW and strategy& out of undergrad?

Array

May 12, 2020

I think once you get out of MBB there are 8 or so firms that compete with each other that I would call roughly in the same tier. I would include the Big 4 Strategy Shops and the traditional tier 2s in this mix. I think again people will cheer for the home team and tell you that LEK is SO much more prestigious than Deloitte because it does "strategy". In terms of Deloitte specifically, it was once considered at the top of this sub-MBB group and some people were (somewhat jokingly) using the acronym MBBD, but it seems like they have fallen off a bit in terms of reputation because of a recent re-organization and more draconian COVID economy measures than some peers.

May 12, 2020

LEK is a Due Diligence machine... a friend of mine there did 8 DD projects and 1 strategy project in his first year, and from what he told me that's the norm in his EU office.

• Prospect in PE - LBOs
Jun 30, 2020

I know a couple people this year who got their summer offers cancelled because of COVID. Sucked because this was through OW's diversity channel as well, so they had these offers locked in since May of sophomore year.
Not sure if these cancellations were also true of MBB, but definitely sucked for them to recruit again so close to summer.

Jun 30, 2020

Were these guys offered compensation or ft offers in place or just purely cancelled?

Jul 2, 2020
Comment