Oliver Wyman 2020 reputation

Hello,

I can't seem to find too much info on OW as of recently. I'm just wondering how it compares to MBB in 2020, especially in terms of exit opps and comp. Also would love to hear about the culture there and lifestyle. Lastly, if anyone knows anything about OW's recruiting with regards to COVID-19 that would be helpful as well. Thanks for any input.

Most Helpful

Comp is similar for first 2-3 years, then gap opens at Associate level and widens considerably at EM/Principal. Exit opps are good (midsize/large startups, financial institutions, MBA, etc) but seem driven more from personal searches than constant recruiter reach outs/exit support network that may be at MBB. Hours will typically be in the 55-65/week range; average project would be something like 9-9/10 M-Th and 9-5/6 F. Very strong culture, with main differentiating factors being: industry focus (most projects in financial services/healthcare/aviation/etc), tendency to specialize earlier, and focus on growing talent from analyst to partner (leading to the relative lower focus on exit opps, MBA, etc.)

It’s tough to say. I think both are roughly equivalent in terms of prestige, exits etc. People that say otherwise are probably just cheering for the home team. I liked the culture a little bit more at OW (more intellectual, more of a pure consulting firm), but I would have had to specialize in my pre-MBA industry...I dodged a bullet there because that industry got decimated by COVID... overall, I would say OW is rather biased towards its undergrad hires so sensible advice would be: S& if you are an MBA or experienced hire; OW if you’re an undergrad.

I think once you get out of MBB there are 8 or so firms that compete with each other that I would call roughly in the same tier. I would include the Big 4 Strategy Shops and the traditional tier 2s in this mix. I think again people will cheer for the home team and tell you that LEK is SO much more prestigious than Deloitte because it does “strategy”. In terms of Deloitte specifically, it was once considered at the top of this sub-MBB group and some people were (somewhat jokingly) using the acronym MBBD, but it seems like they have fallen off a bit in terms of reputation because of a recent re-organization and more draconian COVID economy measures than some peers.

I know a couple people this year who got their summer offers cancelled because of COVID. Sucked because this was through OW's diversity channel as well, so they had these offers locked in since May of sophomore year. Not sure if these cancellations were also true of MBB, but definitely sucked for them to recruit again so close to summer.

Hello all- hope you’re all safe and well! I am no expert whatsoever, and the following is just what I’ve gathered off my own research and conversations with current consultants in the industry (including MBB) as someone interested in management consulting. It seems Oliver Wyman is the most “prestigious” consulting firm after MBB (especially in terms of growth in the last few years, exit opps including but not limited to VC/PE if that is of importance to you, and how they compete directly with MBB for a lot of the “sexy strategy projects”). In addition, there’s been other forums and AMAs on WSO, reddit etc...with interesting facts about OW also trying to address the lack of info as you mentioned. There is some really cool insight on different metrics (such as revenue per employee with MBB and OW leading the way-obviously not sure how reliable the numbers are, but it’s interesting to hear either way since it shows how they have higher fees in general which apparently relates to the type of work these firms focus on/how clients are willing to pay their higher fees; and this seems to be true according to what I have learned from people in the industry. In terms of upcoming recruiting, they will be in the process of recruiting; and it seems multiple firms are (not sure how the potential number of spots will be affected because of COVID-19)...but in general consulting firms hire a lot of full-times (again it’s difficult to say how recruiting will play out because of COVID-19, and how the process will differ for undergrad recruiting and MBA recruiting). Furthermore, other firms such as Strategy&, LEK and what people call “T2” firms etc...are also very reputable, prestigious firms that work on cool “sexy” projects from what I have heard from people in the industry. To be honest, these are all very prestigious firms; and they all pay very well (I am not too sure about direct compensation comparisons...the “management consulted website” has some numbers, and it appears that a lot of these top firms are offering around the same ranges of compensation). That being said, focusing on culture/fit/happiness should always be a top priority, and this is something that many people underestimate...have some close friends and family in the industry and the burnout is real. Hope this helps! :)

Praesentium repellendus dolor et consequatur quaerat. Quis et et porro ut id praesentium quis. Quidem veniam ut vel enim vero ut maxime. Et temporibus iusto dolorem libero. Aut ut reprehenderit at dolor corrupti enim dolor. Veniam dignissimos sequi hic sed.

Illum et et consequuntur voluptatem et. Aut velit minus minus quia quaerat voluptatem. Aut et dolorum eligendi. Qui rem molestias aut quod quod et voluptas. Aut in voluptas amet assumenda. Alias amet dolor excepturi unde error.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Boston Consulting Group (BCG) 98.3%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • Cornerstone Research 98.9%
  • McKinsey and Co 97.7%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.2%

Professional Growth Opportunities

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Total Avg Compensation

April 2024 Consulting

• Partner (4) $368
  • Principal (25) $277
  • Director/MD (55) $270
  • Vice President (47) $246
  • Engagement Manager (100) $226
  • Manager (152) $170
  • 2nd Year Associate (158) $140
  • Senior Consultant (331) $130
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (108) $130
  • Consultant (587) $119
  • 1st Year Associate (538) $119
  • NA (15) $119
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (146) $115
  • Engineer (6) $114
  • 2nd Year Analyst (344) $103
  • Associate Consultant (166) $98
  • 1st Year Analyst (1048) $87
  • Intern/Summer Associate (188) $84
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (551) $67
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”