Oxford MBA, I have CA(SA),CFA and CAIA. My GMAT is 720 yet GPA is low. Can GMAT help with low GPA

My previous experience includes Private Equity and Sales Trading at a large European bank which has operations in South Africa. I am currently a Portfolio Manager in Fixed Income

I think low GPA isn’t considered to be the main key factor whether accept you or not, i guess the first and foremost, you have to show that you are a scholar even despite your low GPA. Successful entrepreneurial venture(s). An enthusiastic recommendation from your immediate superior and may be your future plans extremely worth a mention either. Your application needs to show why you are distinctive among those applicants, and why you expect to become distinguished among the eventual graduated with top GPA score. Best luck mate.

Most Helpful

Your charters and GMAT should offset the GPA impact. A low GPA gives adcom concern that you can't handle the quant rigors of the program. Where your GMAT may be an issue is if its unbalanced, say higher verbal and low quant. If your GMAT score is more balanced, it should be enough. 

Obviously you need to weave a single unified story of why your GPA was low, how you crushed your professional life and why these charters are so key. Factor in why an MBA (esp the specific program) and what you want to do after, and you should be good.

Good luck!!!

[my bad]

As poster below pointed out, my advice is applicable to the MFE and not the MBA, please disregard what I said

He’s talking about the MBA, not the MFE. Different story

Et ea voluptas sit praesentium omnis. Magnam fuga temporibus natus non incidunt excepturi exercitationem.

Dolore enim officiis officia quia. Aperiam et iusto et. Non sunt aperiam sunt modi cum.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”