As college acceptance becomes increasingly competitive, and college costs continue to rise, some parents have found a "technique" for their children to gain scholarship money
"Parents are giving up legal guardianship of their children during their junior or senior year in high school to someone else -- a friend, aunt, cousin or grandparent. The guardianship status then allows the students to declare themselves financially independent of their families so they can qualify for federal, state and university aid, a ProPublica Illinois investigation found."
Who is involved
- ~50 cases in Illinois-Investigation is ongoing
- 25 students that attend the University of Illinois
- The parents professions range from doctors to lawyers to real estate agents
Problems with this technique
- FAFSA financial aid is first come, first serve. Additionally according to the article, Illinois did run out of financial aid. That means these students took from other kids who more desperately needed the money to get a college education
- These parents are literally disowning their children. One could argue it is "for the better" but lawyers and doctors are willing to write their kid in someone else's name just to save on a college education.
Questions for Discussion
(feel free to answer as many as you want to)
- Would you disown your kids to save money?
- Clearly college education is rising, so what are your thoughts to reduce the cost of college? What abuot the education system in general? Can it be fixed?
Some of my thoughts
To get this discussion going, here are some of my thoughts for the second bullet point. I think college is too expensive due to certain departments that offer few transferable skills to the real world, which is why they are not generating enough revenue on their own. In my college, I'm required to take humanities classes from SPECIFIC departments (not just a gen-ed). These classes did not help me at all, I will be quite frank and wasted my credit hours. That's the problem with the structure of our degrees imo. Before I continue to rant on, I"m going to stop and here what you all have to say before I jump back in.