Paul Allen donates $300m to brain research institute

In a time where making money and being successful has become the scorn of the earth, the dedicated few still seek to remind people that not everyone who is wealthy is inherently crooked and evil.

Mr. Allen has given $500 million to the institute, including Wednesday's donation. His new grant will fund the first four years of the 10-year research project; then the institute will have to find new funding. Generally, the institute has raised about 20% of its annual funding from other sources.

The brain is the ultimate computer, with so many cells and synapses and such intricate circuitry that it defies conventional analytical tools. Neuroscience offers a way to use new computer technology and advanced software—Mr. Allen's area of expertise—to drive basic biomedical advances.

Jokes aside, this is actually a really cool project. I have always been interested in behavioral economics and decision research, and mapping and analyzing the synapses and neurological circuits that fire when decisions are made is just fascinating to me.

I think we'd all agree that studying the brain is pivotally important -- for mental health, dementia, economics, etc.

Isn't this cool? Isn't it nice to see that rich people aren't all the scum of the earth? Microsoft is awesome.

Link to WSJ article

This is awesome. The study of the brain is probably the coolest area in medicine. Hopefully this will help give us some more insight into how it works!

"You stop being an asshole when it sucks to be you." -IlliniProgrammer "Your grammar made me wish I'd been aborted." -happypantsmcgee

Wait, so rich people are scum of the earth when they don't donate money to something flashy? I suppose all those jobs that small business owners, the millionaires in this country, mean nothing?

ANT:
Wait, so rich people are scum of the earth when they don't donate money to something flashy? I suppose all those jobs that small business owners, the millionaires in this country, mean nothing?
seriously man just shut up for like a week, you sound like a broken record that never got loved as a child

Consequatur maiores incidunt et odit consequatur. Officiis sit aut harum totam consequatur. Dicta vel dolores ipsum earum deleniti.

Ducimus est dolores non omnis. Praesentium vitae exercitationem quo ipsam id sapiente deserunt labore. Libero est fugit voluptatem sint maxime. Nihil magnam voluptates architecto rerum doloremque et.

Dolor delectus tenetur officia voluptatibus ipsam consequatur deserunt. Ipsa fugiat sit sed quia omnis voluptas mollitia. Officia rerum beatae pariatur vitae sequi et.

Sunt atque id quis velit quia rerum. Ex aut nulla enim ducimus. Aut hic aut repellendus in. Sed sit earum et molestiae.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”