Tag along with this question can someone please explain how the waves of recruiting work. Did all the big guys give out all the spots for 2018 start or do they fill out the class in blocks based on when they have clarity on hiring needs?

thanks

Recruiting for the normal MM firms is pretty standardized because they have a pretty good idea about the likelihood of their next raise being successful since they are almost always raising new funds while deploying their previous raises. But that doesn't mean that they do no off cycle hiring, numerous reasons for doing an off cycle hire. Promotion, someone quits, they have a bigger raise than expected and need more staff to handle it, etc. Now that doesn't mean that every MM firm is always going to be doing off cycle hires, it just means that the might.

Follow the shit your fellow monkeys say @shitWSOsays Life is hard, it's even harder when you're stupid - John Wayne

A recruiter told me that one of the upper MM clients she had was doing their process on a rolling basis. Not sure if this is indicative of other firms (it is probably not). I imagine the next wave will be a number of $1-$5B MM shops. If that's your target, should be a healthy pipeline coming up (at least, so the HHs say).

Guys let's chill out here a bit. Summer 2018 is still 18 months away and there are literally hundreds of firms left that haven't even started recruiting yet.

There isn't some master list of PE funds out there - you just need to be patient, keep in touch with recruiters and wait for opps to come up. The most important thing right now is to keep doing your job because honestly that's how you'll learn the most for interviews and at this stage in the process references are going to start to matter.

Best Response

Strongly echo this. I can't stress enough how most of WSO is completely unmindful of how many PE firms exist beyond the 30-40 most folks can name. People get very nervous and choked-up by the go buy-side list. There are many very good buy-side shops that will give you great experience and position you for a top MBA or a career track. I can’t stress enough how open candidates need to be. One of my best buds just got accepted to HBS first round this past December. He’s at a small PE shop you likely never heard of. I think most people on this forum wouldn’t be open to a shop like his given the size but his team rallied behind him hard when it came time for the HBS and Stanford app. There is career value in the shops you’ll learn about over the next 18 months. Be open to those opportunities. Keep in touch with recruiters. Keep networking. Something will hit. Things usually work out if you maintain your intensity.

Et dolores dolor alias et quo eos aut. Rem blanditiis necessitatibus qui et quia perspiciatis. Placeat a occaecati porro inventore quasi alias nemo. Dolores quam quod distinctio quod. Ipsa iure non non quibusdam. Sequi magnam omnis quaerat corrupti qui recusandae nobis.

Non ea nisi illo dolor. Quia nihil blanditiis sit impedit rerum maiores odio. Qui voluptatem ratione perspiciatis est eligendi laboriosam consectetur. Quas nobis quod eligendi at. Veritatis sint et odit necessitatibus officiis. Est dolores et non porro ea aliquam. Eligendi sunt soluta expedita deserunt.

I wear smoking slippers to work

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Private Equity

• The Riverside Company 99.5%
  • Blackstone Group 99.0%
  • Warburg Pincus 98.4%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Blackstone Group 98.9%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 98.4%
  • Ardian 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Bain Capital 99.0%
  • Blackstone Group 98.4%
  • Warburg Pincus 97.9%
  • Starwood Capital Group 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

• Principal (9) $653
  • Director/MD (22) $569
  • Vice President (92) $362
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (90) $280
  • 2nd Year Associate (205) $268
  • 1st Year Associate (387) $229
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (29) $154
  • 2nd Year Analyst (83) $134
  • 1st Year Analyst (246) $122
  • Intern/Summer Associate (32) $82
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (314) $59
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”