PJT M&A NY vs Moelis NY in 2022

Both PJT M&A and Moelis NY have rapidly grown in the past few years. I would love to know how they compare in 2022 in terms of intern and analyst experience, reputation, total comp and exit opportunities!

intern and analyst experience, reputation, total comp and exit opportunities! Thanks!

In term of M&A, I’d say they’re pretty similar. For RSSG, definitely go to PJT. All of the top independents have their pros and cons, but generally they will all provide equally good experiences, with a slight difference in exits (EVR, CVP, PJT, PWP, MOCO).

Most Helpful

How they do the business is very different imo.

Bread and butter of Moco is sponsor-backed sell side mandate. Size of the deal won't be too big but you will get good reps and exp working with sponsors. Probably that’s why Moco exits are more in MM/UMM with frequent distressed shops (generalist model - heard it’s no longer a case there tho), than MF.

PJT is more of a whale hunting model. Doesn't mean you won't get reps but in a lesser degree compare to Moco. Once you get a deal done, it would be looked favorably. I feel like exits are better at PJT if you’re looking at MF and HF out of banking program.

Comps I believe is similar and you can't go wrong with either, but I'd personally go with PJT for culture.

This is spot on. Moelis will pump out 100+ sell sides a year primarily in the sponsor backed MM/ UMM space. High reps but you’re really just running outsourced process. PJT will do 30-50 deals a year with an average ticket size in the $3-$5bn range. Quality of experience will be much better given the focus on highly strategic large cap transactions. 

Ullam magni et quos minus iure dolorum aliquid nulla. Distinctio voluptas porro et totam voluptas.

Est nisi quidem architecto aliquid qui nisi. Non cumque tempora facilis excepturi. Eaque necessitatibus nihil eum veritatis unde veritatis asperiores.

Voluptas debitis amet totam et voluptas qui sit. Aut suscipit non ducimus minima natus. Facere rerum illum reprehenderit officia. Sunt soluta voluptatem mollitia numquam veniam blanditiis quis nobis.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”