PLEASE HELP ME CHOOSE A COLLEGE

Hey Everyone, 

I am about to be a senior in high school. I have a 3.4 unweighted GPA, a 3.96 weighted GPA, and a 32 on the ACT (gonna try to bring that ACT up). My math score on the ACT was a 34 (99th percentile). What are some good colleges I could get into for IB?

Go where you will be happy and have fun. You can break into IB from nearly any school you want

- SA at top MM from major non-target

I don't go to either but yes those would be considered non-targets

Don't listen to this person, they have no clue what they are talking about. Transfer to a target school after 1 year (apply freshman spring). All you got to do is bust your ass your first year to transfer to a target. A mutual friend who transferred to UMich did this and landed a top BB. Don't listen to these trolls from non-target schools who say, "you can break into banking from any school, I did it!" That's the same shit as Bill Gates telling people you don't need to go to college to be successful. It's true, but generally bad advice. 

If you're about to be a senior just pull your ACT and GPA up if you can and recruit at the targets. Basically all the Iveys, UVA, Stern, Ross, Uchicago, UT Austin etc. Either way you'll be fine. I'm no expert on US colleges so what you can do is go to different banks' LinkedIns and see where most of their analysts are from. Most of them will be from above and other Targets but you'll see some other schools that place well. BC, Colgate, Vandy all punch above their weight.

Yup. BC is Boston college. Honestly, any school is Boston is good. BU, BC, NEU, Tufts Babson, - not targets but all place well. Harvard, MIT obviously are on another level

Edit: Why the MS?? Boston has renowned schools. Just cause some of them aren't T10 doesn't mean they aren't good

You keep sucking off W&L lmao - good school yeah but many better options for IB

Choose a university where you think you would enjoy / have the most fun. Take into account the important things, such as staying close to family or home. 

Colleges are massive institutions, I have no doubt that you'll find a great group of friends to fit in with, no matter where you go. As for finance recruiting, you can break in from anywhere (target to non-target, as you've clearly seen from personal experiences on WSO) - as long as you keep your head up and grind. This is coming from experience, as well.  

Best of luck and would love to hear where you end up.

I'm from a complete non-target (Rutgers/UMiami tier) and I had 3 offers. 

Choose the best school you can get into, but trust me that you can break in from anywhere as long as you put your head down and do the work.

Emory, Tulane, Vanderbilt, Wesleyan, Colgate, Ohio State, Arizona, Harvard, UCSB are all targets for you 

Fully understand you might be trolling given the range of schools you listed. I broke in from UCSB and have to warn it is still a non-target. You can break in only if you start from day one. Plenty of schools take the same type of student and will be easier to recruit from. Love UCSB but it's important to understand where it's at right now. 

For some reason everyone here is recommending crazy reaches for almost everyone. Most Target schools are going to be tough here.

I would say with your stats, applying to IU Kelley and trying as hard as possible to get into IBW would be best if you are deadset on banking.

I second this. IBW places very well and you can expect to see about 80 kids from IU landing spots at top firms every year.

I would also like to add that even if you don’t get into IBW you could still break into IB, but it’s much more difficult.

[Comment removed by mod team]

[Comment removed by mod team]

IU is maybe the best nontarget to attend, granted it’s still not a target. Maryland recruits better into NYC than most B1G schools and should place okay in the few banks that have DC/Baltimore offices

I wouldn’t say that Kelley is a non-target, semi-target is more accurate. There are spots held at many banks for Kelley kids each year such as Barclays, Goldman, Guggenheim, etc. IBW has over an 80% placement rate into IB. Granted, if you are not in IBW you will have a difficult time breaking in, but it’s not impossible.

Agreed with the general sentiment in the thread that college experience is more important than a name on a resume as long as your grades are sound. Too many people get bogged down in choosing based on the "target vs. nontarget" mindset and either grow to hate their school and transfer out or get a sense of entitlement from prestige - neither of which looks good from an interviewer's POV. Find a school that will challenge you and where you and your personality fit well. Also, don't forget about your happiness; if family or sports or social scene are important to you, be sure to take those into account and determine proximity to home/quality of athletics/access to bars, etc. 

Using myself as a case study, I came from a big family in a city known for its food, sports, and social scene but decided to go to school not known for any of that far across the country in the hopes of getting a prestigious degree for my resume. I ended up getting the degree and a great job in IB, but I hated my college experience and in many ways regret that decision and the four years I spent unhappy in an unfamiliar place. Especially now that I'm better versed in the recruiting process, I realize that I could've gone to a lower tier school and likely ended up happier with the same result. 

Wherever you end up, focus on keeping your grades up and having as much fun as you can. If IB is really something you're interested in, start networking and filling your resume with solid internship experience and extracurriculars early on. A name can only get you so far. Grades, experience, and activities will make you a far more attractive candidate than any school's reputation alone. 

Most Helpful

A lot of these comments give pretty bad advice, yes you can technically get in from any school but your time will be much better and your success rate much higher if you apply for certain schools and/ or transfer after your first year. Hate to break it to you but you likely won't get into any ivies or targets with your stats unless you have a crazy story or are very underrepresented. Also, if the school lets you transfer into business school/ major easily do not put it as your intended major, your application is looked at more rigorously, apply as a bullshit major like Anthropology or something and you'll get in easier then just change it (but again look at each school's department breakdown, some don't let you transfer from Anthropology to Finance if the schools are separate; in that case you should apply as the least popular business major, not finance or economics).

Schools you could feasibly get into that punch above their weight are IU Kelly (and their investment banking workshop), Washington & Lee, Hamilton, BC, PSU, UNC. Try to get into one of these and then transfer after your freshman year to a better school that is transfer friendly like Cornell, Vanderbilt, Notre Dame. Do your research though because other good schools have near no transfer acceptance so some aren't worth your time. 

I don't recommend going to Rutgers or another nontarget unless you have no other options. Also you're going to have to be on top of your shit freshman year to transfer and go for a 4.0, a 3.4 will not cut it for transferring / recruiting in IB from the schools I listed. Props to you though for knowing your shit while in high school and asking around, wish I would have. You will be much better off starting early.

Yeah corporate banking and S&T are easier but I wouldn't plan on settling that easy. Its difficult to lateral from the two prior into banking. Both of them are respectable roles and good careers if you want to do that, but understand its easiest to get the best possible job out of college then go from there.

Consider BYU, IU Kelley, UNC Chapel Hill, Tulane, Boston College, Notre Dame (slight reach). Try to raise your ACT to at least a 33 and apply under Early Decision and you should be fine. Good luck.

Do not consider BYU under any circumstances. UNC is also very difficult if you’re out of state. The delta between in-state and out-of-state admission standards is absurd.

Why so bear on BYU? I know they’re pretty unique culturally but they looked pretty strong based on the data placements sheet that has been on this site. Seems like a tight-knit alumni group that pulls for current students. 

Do not consider BYU under any circumstances. UNC is also very difficult if you’re out of state. The delta between in-state and out-of-state admission standards is absurd.

Judging from last years stats, BC might be a reach for him as well (18.9% acceptance rate). These jesuit schools are starting to get a little selective (ND has a 18.4 acceptance rate)

Voluptas fugiat laborum totam voluptatum nobis excepturi. Similique incidunt ipsum voluptas incidunt. Quidem officia corporis est ad. Veritatis veniam sit est corporis quibusdam eum autem.

Quis dolore fuga aperiam nam ut eveniet. Eum voluptas doloremque repellendus officia non est in veniam. Culpa magnam dolore tempore culpa nulla saepe. Aut adipisci quidem repudiandae necessitatibus molestias est aut.

Debitis mollitia illum exercitationem facere rerum. Possimus quasi praesentium incidunt enim nihil eius. Quibusdam enim totam facere.

Et vel doloribus quia velit. Voluptatem voluptatibus sed at quo molestiae quidem.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
numi's picture
numi
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”