Please help me get a decent internship: 770 GMAT, bad UG GPA, blah WE

I'm starting the JD/MBA program at a t25, non-target school. One or two of MBB recruit at the school, but I don't think they hire many students from here. I have a terrible UG GPA and mediocre WE (2 yrs), but a great gmat score: 770 (45V, 50Q, 6.0 AWA). I'm a pretty smart person who was really lazy, unfocused, undisciplined in UG. As a result, I've had limited professional opportunities. To create opportunities for myself, I weaseled my way into this JD/MBA program. Is there anyway for me to land a decent consulting internship / job / interview? If not consulting, then what?

Best Response
totalwhore:
I'm a pretty smart person who was really lazy, unfocused, undisciplined in UG

You still pretty lazy to me. "Please help me get a decent internship." Come on, is this an NGO or what? Work your a$$ of and earn it. Consulting firms not only want smart people, they want people that are CONSISTENTLY smart, so good luck with that. Also, if you are looking for experience, do you really think only through internships you can get that? Go and start a business, start a club in your school, a non-profit, something that shows you are proactive, then you can start filling up your resume, which eventually will get you some internships, and the as you get more and more internships you'll be able to get some better ones. Work for it. I really doubt even networking will get you through this, who will want to risk their reputation for somebody that has not successful track record after so long? Not me.

Georgetown? No.

770 gmat score and only top 25 Business school? 18-25, i was already in the JD program and I don't want to come back to school again later (especailly since my crappy WE and UG GPA probably make it so that the M7 will never be attainable)

"Please help me get a decent internship." That came out wrong. I guess what I meant is, "Help me come up with a strategy for finding an internship / What sort of internship opportunities are realistic for me?" I know that MBB aren't going to want me because of my track record, but I was hoping that WSO could help me determine if consulting is in the cards at all for me. I've heard that firms like Deloitte and Accenture are notably less selective than MBB. At that level are they still big fans of GMAT scores? I'm really not a lazy person, it's just that I've done so much damage to myself with the poor decisions of my youth, that there is only so much catching up that I can do. Considering my terrible start (UG, post UG WE), I think I've done pretty well creating some opportunities for myself.

Voluptas similique aut hic eos soluta et et. Cupiditate doloremque doloremque earum. Repellendus voluptatem occaecati molestias aut sed impedit laborum. Dolorem ut blanditiis quasi repellat.

Molestiae consequuntur facilis cupiditate a animi deserunt magni sed. Soluta dolor at nisi illo cumque. Similique voluptatibus sit officia qui hic sed eum. Accusantium aperiam maiores temporibus sit rerum.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Boston Consulting Group (BCG) 98.3%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • Cornerstone Research 98.9%
  • McKinsey and Co 97.7%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.2%

Professional Growth Opportunities

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Total Avg Compensation

April 2024 Consulting

• Partner (4) $368
  • Principal (25) $277
  • Director/MD (55) $270
  • Vice President (47) $246
  • Engagement Manager (100) $226
  • Manager (152) $170
  • 2nd Year Associate (158) $140
  • Senior Consultant (331) $130
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (108) $130
  • Consultant (587) $119
  • 1st Year Associate (538) $119
  • NA (15) $119
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (146) $115
  • Engineer (6) $114
  • 2nd Year Analyst (344) $103
  • Associate Consultant (166) $98
  • 1st Year Analyst (1048) $87
  • Intern/Summer Associate (188) $84
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (551) $67
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”