Hi people :)
it's my first time on the WSO site. Nice to meet you all. I'm quite uncertain about what I should do for my freshman year summer. WSO seems to be a wonderful place to get some good advice, so thanks in advance!
So far I have three options
1. a summer job of teaching English: nothing special about it. the pay is not bad though.
2. an internship in a large insurance company:
good news: I won't be selling insurance/cold-calling
bad news: I also won't intern in the "most valuable" departments such as actuarial/market research either.
question: what will I do exactly? good question. I'm also not sure about that yet. I'm sorry I can't provide more accurate information for you to make a better judgement... I'll only know better next week :(
3. going back to school, i.e. summer classes.
I know none of them is related to IB at all and the choice probably won't make a difference in the end. but still, I'm just wondering, knowing that I want to go into IB (or possibly consulting/actuarial/PE>... I'm still exploring different fields in finance) in the future, what would you recommend?
Also becoz I can't provide more information about the insurance internship, I'll ask my question directly. I hear that insurance industry is kind of frowned upon in the finance world. So if I do an internship in an insurance company, which department should I aim at, that will teach me (relatively) solid knowledge and boost my resume best (relatively)? i.e. the internship experience is not getting looked down upon but instead being valued by recruiters in IB and other abovementioned industries.
Find Your Mentor
- Increase your chance of landing a job by matching with one of our 200+ mentors.
- Our mentors are top employees at the most selective firms.
- Proven process with over 1,100 clients over 10 years.