Not worth it imo. My friend has a 4s cabrio (not the same, but still) and it's nothing but a money sink. Everytime something goes wrong every little repair is inflated because they see the car and figure you won't give a fuck. And all that for what? Pretty sure he drives it like ~80k). There's a million ways to swing your cock if that's what gets you off, the car route is one of the dumber ways imho. Go on a vacation or some shit.

OP...You'll have to spend a ton of dough to get a 991 or 997 Turbo, but a 996 ('99-05') shouldn't set you back more than ~$30k. Porsche made a ton of 996 Turbos and they have come down in value significantly over the past few years. They're plenty fast, won't attract as much attention as a 991 or 997, and all it takes is a bit of tuning work (which costs a few grand at most) to boost them up to ridiculous power levels (600+hp).

First off - Who cares what age you see other people driving them. If you like it, get it.

Second - Since you bring up NYC, cars like that are about 90% useless as they will never even get out of first gear here unless you take it to the track or drive outside of the NYC metro area.

Third - if you've never driven a stupid fast car before, you should start off with something a bit calmer. Even with all the electronic assists, a car like that isn't for the untrained.

make it hard to spot the general by working like a soldier

If and when you have fuck you money, blowing it on cars is fine. When you're in your 20's it's one of the biggest wastes of money possible. Especially if you live in an east coast city where you're just not going to use it. Maybe if you live in LA where people, and by people I mean women, judge you on your car and it's near impossible to get laid driving an Accord but cars a just a pain in the ass and an unnecessary expense when you're young and living in the city.

I had a 997 (911) Cab S....if you're in NYC, forget it - it's a waste. Paying for a garage is not worth it here and you probably won't use it much. Also, like another guy said, repairs sucked ass. I always heard "oh Porsches are so reliable, they're the most durable exotic cars". If that's what's considered durable, then god forbid what happens with a Ferrari or something else. I had fun in the car, and that's what I got it for - simply to have fun in. Unlike other dickholes, I didn't care about what other people thought (I didn't get it to impress people). And as far as getting girls, sure, if you want golddiggers, but it still won't get near the attention you'd think. I also didn't like the feel of being in my early 20's with one, people constantly tried to size themselves up and I kind of got tired of pulling up and getting stared at.

Sold it and glad to be rid of it, but I'd reconsider sometime later in my life when I get more established and actually feel like I've really earned it.

If you think a Porsche is expensive to keep up, Ferrari's will blow your mind. A former partner of mine owned them and I forget the exact numbers but I think an oil change alone was $500 and there was a 15k mile (maybe 30k) maintenance where they basically took the engine apart that cost something like $10k. And that was just standard maintenance, not if something went wrong. They were fun as hell to drive but unless you have a ton of money to blow on it they're just not worth it.

Dingdong08:

If you think a Porsche is expensive to keep up, Ferrari's will blow your mind. A former partner of mine owned them and I forget the exact numbers but I think an oil change alone was $500 and there was a 15k mile (maybe 30k) maintenance where they basically took the engine apart that cost something like $10k. And that was just standard maintenance, not if something went wrong. They were fun as hell to drive but unless you have a ton of money to blow on it they're just not worth it.

Exactly.

Just my opinion but if you need to have a car in your 20's and feel the need to have a nicer one, 3 series are great cars. Engineering is excellent, they're fun to drive and there will be no maintenance costs for years. Bump it up to an M if you really need speed and performance. It's still an unnecessary expense but BMW's and especially 3 series are just great automobiles.

I'll attest to this, fantastic cars. The used market on 335's is pretty robust and you can always go the route of a chip to add more horsepower if you want to.

If you are looking new, the 4 series replaced the 335 coupes and they want a pretty penny for those. The M's are getting crazy expensive nowadays, not that they ever weren't necessarily.

Addinator:

I'll attest to this, fantastic cars. The used market on 335's is pretty robust and you can always go the route of a chip to add more horsepower if you want to.

If you are looking new, the 4 series replaced the 335 coupes and they want a pretty penny for those. The M's are getting crazy expensive nowadays, not that they ever weren't necessarily.

335's are really underrated cars in terms of how fast they are. For practical, non-track, driving, you're unlikely to need that much more power.

Jaguar F-Type is awesome to drive, great fun (I was able to test drive one at a racing event). considering price tag starts at 60k, this is probably the best value for the money you can currently get out of a really nice sports car. otherwise the bmw z4 is awesome (and maybe more affordable/fitting for people in their 20s)

Just as info, I subscribed to an email list from BringATrailer.com. You guys should check it out. All things cars, both vintage and newer, as long as it is of interest to some auto enthusiast somewhere. Just basically a website showing the interesting vehicles for sale accross the US (mostly US). Reading the comment sections has really helped me learn about vehicles, what to buy, what to avoid, what type of issues come with what cars, and how to find a good car at a good price. It's well worth the time to check it out.

"Decide what to be and go be it." - The Avett Brothers

As a car enthusiast if I had the coin to go out and splurge on a wonderful piece of machinery like that I would. You are young once. Soon there will be too many excuses in the way. And before you know it you are going to end up one of those old guys you see fart around in their Porsches barely reaching the speed limit.

I'd also check the rating on the trailer hitch of the Ducati. That would be such a bitch to show up and UHaul and figure out you high end sports bike can't haul a trailer.

But I agree on the sports bike rec if someone's just looking for speed at a good price. And bikes are his plain old fun. Can't say I do sports bikes anymore but a laid back piece of American Iron is fun. I don't know if I'd want to have it full time in NYC though.

buy it if you are a car enthusiast, but if you just want a car for cool factor there other cars that are "cool" and cheaper. Porsches aren't good cars to leave around and not be driven.

One of the poster said it very well about having the proper driving experience prior to buying a stupid fast car. Porsches aren't your typical high power car and with the weight bias to the rear, it can easily spin out and not able to correct it through fast turns.

This is very true about knowing how to drive a high performance car. I grew up fixing and driving muscle cars (60's/70's era), did light amateur racing, have driven manual trucks and have owned motorcycles since I was 12 (dirt then street). I thought I knew how to drive a car like a Ferrari. First time my former partner let me drive one of his was on Ocean Drive in SoBe. I looked like the biggest tool because I was jerking the clutch so bad I couldn't even just make it stall (and when a high performance engine jerks it feels like you're going to blow the car apart). Then after I thought I learned how to drive it I almost popped it off the road because I slammed on the gas in second and the tail flew out like I was on ice.

Omnis accusamus eos ut. Beatae harum maiores veniam ipsa quibusdam. Est est architecto est qui aut id totam quidem. Doloremque hic veritatis velit rerum minus eius.

Sint aperiam fuga sint facere. Quae omnis illum quia ut qui omnis. Molestiae vero ducimus laboriosam ipsam similique veritatis. Dolor ut qui veritatis et.

Aut qui ad et expedita provident quam. Molestiae laudantium earum labore molestiae voluptatum et possimus. Laudantium quibusdam aliquam modi quia vel aut.

Natus accusantium recusandae et doloribus in necessitatibus. Quo tempore quis ipsum mollitia quia sapiente. Non assumenda pariatur excepturi quo iure quibusdam. Quidem ipsum qui doloremque consectetur. Molestiae cumque blanditiis quas quae mollitia in enim. Enim rerum et vero in tempora est.

"The way to make money is to buy when blood is running in the streets." -John D. Rockefeller

Cupiditate sed quis vitae placeat. Pariatur ullam architecto quisquam suscipit consequatur amet.

Laudantium ut et nobis omnis nesciunt ad quo accusantium. Id id dolor vel doloremque et aspernatur reiciendis. Et non repudiandae assumenda excepturi quia. Cum sint accusamus sed autem molestiae.

Itaque quaerat est quam distinctio doloribus velit. Assumenda voluptas ut sunt velit. Saepe et dolores sed aspernatur.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”