Went through SA recruiting in the past few years, this shouldn’t be an issue if you have strong internships and can network into a first round interview. If you have a higher Major GPA, try listing that before cumulative on resume.

Most Helpful

Very possible - tons of kids at GS/MS/JPM with sub 3.5, don't know about EBs.

My group at Bofa/Citi is the same and some of the 4.0 kids are the shittiest.

I would try to get it to a 3.5 though or else you'll need to do lots of networking.

Depends on the bank and who's pulling for you on the other end. I'll tell you straight up that you're not gonna get a single interview if you cold apply anywhere without networking. Kinda ironic, but your chances are honestly gonna be higher at banks that dont do OCR at your school and hope that the prestige of your school name will be enough to win you an interview at a bank that doesn't have any frame of reference to compare your GPA with, as opposed to OCR processes where the analysts from your school will get a packet of resumes that puts you directly in competition for a limited number of interview seats with other people who also go to your school (so the target thing is moot) and also have a much higher GPA. The exception to this is if you're majoring in a particular program known to be brutal at the school, in which case alumni are more likely to cut you slack. Regardless, networking will be your best friend in recruiting season, and every year there are kids that get spots at top banks with low GPAs that played the game right.

Went to a target school and had about a 3.4. Got most superdays from firms I I had first rounds with and converted a few to offers. Main way I got through resume screening was through a bunch of networking, you really have to prioritize this because it's hard to get through resume screening with a low GPA.

Also, be prepared for "you're a lower GPA candidate, the rest of the people at this superday have 3.8+ GPA, how do you feel about that?" It's a question I got out of left field at a super day with an MM, I doubt it comes up often but doesn't hurt to prepare. Also, know your technicals well. If you know those cold it's easy to compensate for a lower GPA.

Currently a sophomore at a semi-target with a 3.4 and two internships in IB M&A(boutique and MM), what advice would you have for networking? Going to be reaching out to alumni after the new year but how could I indirectly ask for them to help me through the recruiting process and get me to the first round?

Remember to think about the POV of an alumni, they want you being referred (and converting to an offer) to be a win for them. Obviously don't be a try hard, but be enthusiastic, show genuine interest in their work, stay up to date on M&A / current events (or whatever is relevant in the specific group).

In terms of asking for a first round, I never explicitly stated that, instead I'd ask questions such as "Do you have insights on the recruiting process" or "What are some tips you'd give someone interested in working at a bank like XYZ." But, you should have decent rapport with the individual before you make these kind of asks so you can get a good result out of it. 

Hope that helps! 

non diversity, non target, easy major, made it to a top BB

Warning: based on London/Continental Europe recruiting.

I used to worry a lot about GPA. Mine was below average, from semi-target. I graduated with 2:2. All banks here require a minimum of 2:1 and usually hire people with first.

Long story short, this has never been an issue for me, except when I tried to recruit for MBB roles. I had great internship experiences in the past and I'll be joining an S&T desk in London at a top BB (JP/MS/GS). Many of my college friends who graduated with a first are still unemployed. Ah, forgot to mention I never networked to get job offers.

Stop worrying too much about GPA, if you have a good one fine for you, otherwise there is always a way to find open doors. If you are skilled and good at your job nobody will notice your grades.

Wl

I graduated with a ~3.4 gpa from a Big 10 school (not Michigan) and made it into a strong group at GS/MS/JPM.

It's all about how you sell yourself and if a comment regarding your GPA comes up you just need to have an honest explanation prepared. After being on the other end and interviewing candidates myself you come to realize that there are many external circumstances that can have a negative impact here (family, health, etc..). If you had a rough freshman year this is your opportunity to point to your more recent grades and explain why these better reflect your candidacy (if applicable).

Hey, glad to hear that. 

Currently a sophomore with a 3.4 cumulative but a 3.7 major gpa in finance and two IB internships (boutique and MM firm). What advice would you have for getting first round interviews? 

Also, my story is that I had a sub 2.5 my first semester due to working on and selling my $700k LTM rev. startup but have had a 3.8 ever since, how would I phrase this and how could I make it so that my resume reflects this?

First rounds are pretty hard to gauge imo. I think if you put forth a good game plan for networking you should have no problem getting first rounds with your experience even if at a non target.

Everybody's story is different, but the goal should be to explain what negatively impacted you, the steps you went through to fix it, and how the results paid off. The biggest thing you don't want to do is make excuses, ownership is key. On your resume it's not the easiest to show, but if you have something like "Dean's list Fall 2019, Spring 2020, and Fall 2020" it shows consistent improvement. Then if a comment regarding your GPA comes up you can point to that on your resume as well. 

Itaque voluptatem qui deleniti. Et ut nihil vel enim. Dolor ratione sapiente amet quo voluptatibus dolor hic.

Reprehenderit distinctio incidunt consequuntur officia est est dolorem. Qui rerum molestiae rerum odit eligendi ipsa. Quos corporis vel alias ipsam. Sed praesentium inventore sed sint est quo itaque autem.

Est cupiditate voluptas totam praesentium. Amet dolorum accusamus officia consequatur laborum adipisci.

Nobis qui quo quisquam quibusdam fuga incidunt quos numquam. Autem incidunt delectus sint molestiae velit repellendus. Incidunt porro sint voluptatibus dicta. Fugiat assumenda quis quia delectus in.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”