Post-MBA Careers for Pre-MBA PE Associate from non HSW M7

It sucks always thinking two steps ahead... but I'm a pretty burnt out 2nd year IB analyst who's not super jazzed to join my MM PE shop over the summer because I know it will already be more of the same stuff. Hopefully the hours will be less and the work will be more interesting, but frankly I am not as interested in building models and doing diligence as I was when I got the PE job almost a year ago. Soo... all that being said, I have started thinking about what comes after the PE gig and I am heavily leaning towards doing an MBA. Given my background (MM IB --> LMM PE, excellent grades, excellent GMAT, great extracurriculars), H/S is a possibility but unlikely. Wharton is a coin-flip and hopefully the other M7s are 75%+ chances. So my question is for those coming from a PE background, but did not go to H/S/W, what was the "next-step" after doing the MBA?

IB? (JK LOL) Consulting? Mutual Fund? Hedge Fund? Corp Dev? Back to PE? 

I was moreso asking about what pre-MBA PE people do after their MBA if they don't go to H/S/W.

But if you're asking, heres what I think I'll like at my PE shop: reading CIMs, understanding how businesses work/meeting management tams, doing SHORT memos/simple models (not super complicated with a ton of bells and whistles), portfolio management, hours when no deal work happens

What I don't think I'll like: Stress during live deals, hours during live deals, fear of getting numbers wrong, putting together huge decks, random NDA negotiation, constantly having to pressure 3rd parties to work faster, balancing multiple deals and portco management

Following - interesting topic that I have not seen covered.

I think another common option is growth/venture.  Those shops almost always have better hours, are great comp (generally not as high as traditional PE, though), and keep up the intellectual stimulation some love from PE.  This could not be as common as I think, so feedback welcome.

Great suggestion but going to a reputable growth equity firm would be pretty hard unless you were at a top MF or UMM fund pre MBA. VC's even harder to transition to, at least at the fund's worth going to. AFAIK most people are going downstream or going to equivalent level funds after their MBA in the PE/GE/VC world. 

I generally agree with this.

My one potential caveat depends on the definition of "Reputable".  I think a growth or venture firm (or traditional PE for that matter) could still be very legit (good returns, smart people, high quality companies) without being reputable in the sense that it is well known.  I think less well known (but still quality) firms would recruit the candidates you describe, and I think these could be good gigs, though they would probably have to be vetted well.  I guess this is to say small, and therefore not reputable by most definitions, firms can be solid options post b school and would probably be interested in hiring someone with your background. 

VC is harder to transition to if you jump the classic job recruiting hurdles but if you go out of your way to spend two years building a strong sourcing pipeline, publishing novel (key word: novel) content about a subject that interests you (and ties into your pipeline) and start networking with VCs even before you start your MBA program, it will literally be a cake walk, because you will be doing the job before even starting the job.

Most Helpful

Let's say you're interested in "Infrastructure Saas". What you would do is read every primer available on it so that you know what everyone else knows. Then summarize it in essay form so you get in the habit of writing. Then you go research all the major companies in the space and know them in and out. What is Snowflake. What is Alteryx. You get people on the phone to talk to you about these things, because that's good practice - a lot of VC is talking to people. Then you start going to (currently virtual) meetups, building a network of founders. Talk to them about their business. Volunteer to help them with their pitch decks. Go to startup workshops. Ask for referrals. Make your own CRM, keep in touch with these people. Ask how they think about fundraising. Notice what they're doing and what problems they solve. Make market maps that you keep (of companies you want to keep secret), and make market maps of emerging trends with essays of novel topics that you publish weekly on Medium (the stuff you give away for free). After 2.5+ years of this you will have a perspective nobody else has, a network in the space, and founders who trust you to give referrals, and potentially raise from. There you go boom that's the job.

MBB, Corp Strat/Dev, and Product Management are all post MBA options that have decent to great hours and are interesting.

I ended up going into tech marketing and couldn't be happier with my decision. PE skillset isn't really that helpful for product, which is what I was originally gunning for, so unless you're an URM or covered tech vertical in investing, it will be a tough uphill battle.

I'd say of my peers with similar backgrounds, some stayed in investing either in PE or search funds, a couple went to MBB, a few went corp dev/strategy roles, and others went down the GM path.

Rerum in voluptatum error minima illum quia iste nulla. Architecto saepe non impedit tempore et.

Voluptate hic quis rerum iste aspernatur. Corporis voluptas est velit aspernatur earum quis repudiandae. Rerum nesciunt non aliquid quia rem exercitationem sed quae. Sunt eaque officiis ex quis esse soluta. Voluptas rerum fuga laudantium officia hic ipsum. Voluptatem non qui amet voluptate dolorum.

Minus sed eum dolor sapiente. Sunt quas sint iure dolor possimus illo porro et. Repudiandae sunt doloremque illo assumenda in deserunt. Modi fugit molestiae est. Facere est quos facilis maxime vel rerum tempore. Consequatur commodi facilis necessitatibus distinctio et voluptate porro.

Ipsum consequatur et in architecto adipisci corporis. Iste vitae tempore adipisci possimus. Incidunt dolorem repudiandae quia aut animi. At autem non ducimus nulla a voluptas possimus. Voluptatibus vitae voluptate facere doloribus maiores dolorem. Aliquid sit blanditiis delectus labore. Rerum cum aut nam fugiat.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Private Equity

• The Riverside Company 99.5%
  • Blackstone Group 99.0%
  • Warburg Pincus 98.4%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Blackstone Group 98.9%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 98.4%
  • Ardian 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Bain Capital 99.0%
  • Blackstone Group 98.4%
  • Warburg Pincus 97.9%
  • Starwood Capital Group 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

• Principal (9) $653
  • Director/MD (22) $569
  • Vice President (92) $362
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (90) $280
  • 2nd Year Associate (205) $268
  • 1st Year Associate (387) $229
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (29) $154
  • 2nd Year Analyst (83) $134
  • 1st Year Analyst (246) $122
  • Intern/Summer Associate (32) $82
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (314) $59
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”