Prediction: Survive the next 100 years and you'll see the next millenium.

Prediction: If you live for another 100 years, you will live forever.

I've taken a serious volte face on my health as a result of this. I've researched it relatively thoroughly (as in i've not dug into the exact science but I am aware of the overview, and the information isn't that freely available from private companies). We die from old age because only a high 90% of our cells in our body regenerate completely. A small fraction don't which is what causes us to die from old age. These cells eventually give out and down you go.

Extensive research is being done as to why cells regenerate, why some cells don't, and how you can make those that don't, do. Once we have perfect cell regeneration/replication, we live forever. Significant progress is being made (stemcells etc.) in this field.

If you choose to believe this (I do), how much are you prepared to change your life plans for this? If I can afford it and a comfortable existence in getting there, is my new minimum standard of living requirement for a job. Working all hours God sends puts you in an early grave.

Just sharing.

T

The science to which you refer, halting telomere degeneration, seemingly doesn't halt brain cell decay. Therefore the approx. shelf-life of a "person" would be 250yrs. Interesting research though.

The bigger question is how this science impacts the ecosystem. Some have suggested if you take those drugs you should give up the right to have children. Interesting thought.

So now that we know we have much more time left ...it becomes even more reasonable to waste several years in IB, so we can enjoy the 100s ever after!!!

Do what you want not what you can!

bossman:
So now that we know we have much more time left ...it becomes even more reasonable to waste several years in IB, so we can enjoy the 100s ever after!!!

still need to reach the 125 year mark. Taking a superstressful job reduces that chance. It devalues superhigh stress jobs and puts more onus on a career that earns well with reasonable lifetoll.

So the world is being destroyed by ever increasing human presence and you think doubling the life span of people will be a good thing?

Death is essential for life. It provides a reference point, a frame for what is important. It is also fucking necessary. Instead of trying to live for 200 hundred years I suggest people have a life for the 70 they have right now. So much to see and do, RIGHT NOW, that people never take advantage of currently.

ANT:
So the world is being destroyed by ever increasing human presence and you think doubling the life span of people will be a good thing?

The government would never allow populations to get that massive. Many biologists argue that Earth is already at its carrying capacity.

Competition is a sin. -John D. Rockefeller

We had Aubrey de Grey come speak here recently. It was intriguing to say the least, but as it stands I don't think we will see life extensions for at least a few hundred years. That is, unless we have a huge surge in funding and interest in the topic, which most people still deem as a "fringe" science.

I wouldn't want to live forever, but I would like to live WAY past 100 years

"Have you ever tried to use a chain with 3 weak links? I have, and now I no longer own an arctic wolf." -Dwight Schrute

Amet incidunt quibusdam voluptatibus quia. Accusamus ut et aut non aut rem repellendus. Sed voluptatum libero odio sint. Velit ut ea ut maxime voluptatem. Harum praesentium vero sed dolorem vel. Perferendis iste qui consequatur illo id deserunt.

Corrupti quisquam suscipit doloribus voluptatem eos ea. Sit laborum consectetur sit quia aut quas quas. Quibusdam eum nemo ab quis sunt.

Est est et natus fugit deleniti et voluptas. Impedit eum perferendis magnam aut. Voluptatem soluta eaque omnis mollitia expedita eum. Illum occaecati inventore blanditiis quis blanditiis dolores. Vitae cupiditate soluta officia ut ut non. Suscipit perspiciatis repellendus accusantium reiciendis.

Follow the shit your fellow monkeys say @shitWSOsays Life is hard, it's even harder when you're stupid - John Wayne

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”