Private Equity, Tech Finance Or something else? I am confusedSubscribe
Hi All - I am here to seek career advice.
- Graduated from nontarget school
- Broke into BB IB in NYC (worked for 3 years)
- Later joined a PE firm, and did Infra / Telecom deals for 2+ years. (I really enjoyed the team and firm) and I had a promo to senior associate and a verbal offer to join the largest portfolio company of the firm as a VP BUT could not find personal satisfaction in my work any longer so I decided to leave with nothing lined up
- Took 12 months off: traveled the world, spend time with family, tried to learn a new language. Launched an analytics saas company with a friend, was doing $1000 in MRR and now both of us have decided to treat the website like a "side hustle"
- I have been interviewing for finance/strategy/corporate finance roles at large tech firms in addition to Senior Associate / VP roles at PE firms
- I am confused .... not sure if I am passionate about either path. I think joining a finance role at a big company (preferably tech) will make me miss PE, the deal flow, and the exposure, and the money (I generally enjoyed my time in PE but was not in love with my life)
- And I am afraid taking a job in PE will not make me satisfied as well .... The one thing about PE is that it's all you can do, If I wanted to build a side business while working in PE it will be nearly impossible. You need to commit to the job and stick by it and in return, it can be a great career path.
I am also very close to 30, just need to pick a path and stick by it, so just a bit stressed out. Feels like I am in a midlife crisis in my late 20s. Banking -> PE was so structured, I was working like a machine, now that I have more flexibility with my decision, life, career .. I am lost.
Wheeew ... I vented a lot above lol. Let me know if you have been in this situation and if you have any advice.