Q&A: Former Analyst at Bank

The WSO team reached out to me asking if I wanted to host a Q&A here. They mentioned that they think it could be a hit with some young people here. Given that, I’m happy to try to answer some questions if that would be helpful for some people here. In-line with what they are telling me are the best practices for posting a Q&A, I can include a brief bio. I’m from the NJ suburbs. Went to Penn/Wharton. Worked for a couple of years for Moelis. Took a couple years off. Worked for a few months for Houlihan. Was on WSO podcast E136 with Patrick under the name BoutiqueBananas.

WSO Mentor

Want to work with me? Check out my profile here.

Listen to WSO Podcast 136 here.

1. Comps?

2. Why work for only a few months at Houlihan? 

3. Any future career plans?

Thank you!

1. Comps?

Thank you!

1. I made like $200k/yr at Moelis in cash comp. HL I made like $40-50k for a few months of work it ended up  

2. They had to let me go

3. Workin on figuring that out. For now am spending some time here trying to help others and give back

1. Comps?

Thank you!

1. Not sure I understand your question here

2. job only lasted a few months

3. tbd

How much was you salary as an Analyst?

Funniest

Yeah I have a question, why are you doing this when you clearly don't want to?

Most Helpful

Do you have any advice on how to developing mentorship relationships both inside and outside your bank? And how did you make it a meaningful one?

Interesting question. Thanks for asking it. Sounds like something I have been working on for quite some time and continue to work on alongside you. I may be off here but generally with relationships I think it’s something where you get back a multiple of what you put into it. If you invest in relationships/other people, I think you’ll receive back more than what you put in at first. With mentors/people that you want to learn from I think it’s generally about trying to find ways to help them, give to them, make their lives easier, take an interest in them, do whatever is reasonably possible so that you are also giving and investing into them and the relationship. I would think that if you find ways to help the people you would appreciate having as mentors, then they would want to find ways to help you back. If they don’t, then maybe that person may not be the best fit to be your mentor right now for whatever reason. In terms of more concrete on the job stuff, I would generally just try to make myself available to do work and try to take things off of the plate of other people and almost do their job for them when I could. I would try to find values to add value to them, the firm and the client however I could be helpful. Sometimes I knew someone at the client or knew something about the industry or transaction. Sometimes I just had free time and was willing to do some extra work and/or get ahead of a deliverable. Sometimes I would just take some time to chat with people about how they are doing and/or their personal life and see how I could be helpful there if at all. Outside of my immediate employer, I think it is more or less the same thing but without the option of doing their more formal job for them. Generally the people I did that for, and continue to try to do that for today to some extent, have helped me out plenty and continue to help me. They share guidance and help however they can. 

I’m not sure if I understand what your second question is about a meaningful one. Generally if the goal is about helping another person, building something productive and useful together, doing a good deed together, then I would think it’s meaningful. I would think the meaningful part of a relationship is tied to your motivation / heart for why you are pursuing the relationship in the first place. Maybe I’m just not understanding you though.

I could be off on all of this. I would be curious to hear what you think and how you may answer those questions. I’m learning about this and working on this stuff along with you. 

Inventore error ullam autem perferendis distinctio saepe molestiae. Quia eos omnis dolorem nam aut possimus reprehenderit eum. In natus esse distinctio qui consequatur.

Dicta perspiciatis laboriosam ad. Perferendis officia alias beatae similique nihil eum quaerat.

Facilis voluptas molestiae veniam quis quia. Quo minima pariatur qui aliquid illum.

Quia voluptatum fugit in autem cupiditate. Sint est nemo ullam. Iusto iusto enim odit officia. Atque cumque omnis voluptatem aut nisi molestiae.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”