Q&A: Bulge Bracket IB Summer 2020

Hello everyone, In order to keep the thanksgiving spirits going I would like to follow suit with the other MBB Q&A that was live on this forum. I was fortunate enough to receive an investment banking summer analyst offer at a bulge bracket recently and this website was instrumental in my preparation for recruiting. I simply wish to provide insight for those who are getting ready for SA2021 recruiting in the near months.

I obviously can't speak for what firms are looking for but I can share some observations about the people that were at superdays with me and what I think led to offers.

The kids I met were always a combination of well spoken and connected, academically accomplished, or hustled really hard and had combinations of great work experience or unique experiences that made them stand out.

I think being a natural hard worker (demonstrated through resume), knowing your place (see: not being a know-it-all), and being personable are key traits that can lead to success at superdays.

Everyone knows that the work itself is not very intellectually demanding and that being a team player while being able to put in the necessary hours is more important. There was definitely a huge focus on fit at most places I interviewed. You can stumble on a few technicals, but if you can't pass the airport test you're done.

Unless you are diversity or at UBS/DB/BARC/Wells/HSBC, I think you're lying about the offer.

"I think (...) knowing your place (see: not being a know-it-all)"

The kid who has an offer from a BB and feels that somehow that alone makes him/her qualified to give recruiting advice giving advice on not acting like you know it all. The irony.

How many people did you networked with and how do you think networking helped you with the application?

I reached out to alumni with interesting backgrounds that I genuinely wanted to get to know. I think this is the best approach towards networking. One strong connection is better than 3-4 half-assed relationships with people at firms.

Networking will naturally take you far along the process: it can lead to interviews, can be brought up in interviews, and can even be a deciding factor at the roundtable when comparing candidates ("who knows this guy")

Step 1: book appointment on calendar during PEAK MARKET HOURS

Step 2: Leave to go to said appointment, but actually go to a secluded handicap bathroom (MAKE SURE TO BRING NOTEBOOK, PEN, AND SUIT JACKET TO MAKE IT LOOK LEGITIMATE)

Step 3: crank it like Soulja boi, BUT DONT USE BYOD WIFI YOU FOOL!!!

Step 4: Return to desk rested, relaxed, and just a lil bit sweddy ;)

I posted this because anecdotal posts like this helped me when I was learning about the industry and wasusing this site more often. Anecdotal experiences > M&I boilerplate article on how to break into the industry

What do you mean by "accelerated timelines"? Were you a diversity candidate?

Some firms interviewed in April/May. I got my offer in August, non-diversity.

what do you think were some of your shortcomings during the accelerated recruiting period?

Saying this to help but you're the type of person who doesn't get a return offer and then blames it on bad luck. Hopefully you're able to mature before summer starts.

LinkedIN:

"Hey guys I got offers from firms A, B and C. After careful consideration I decided to choose firm A for SA 2020. I am beyond thrilled to join this firm (not that the other firms aren't reputable in their own way of course). I am letting my professional network know of this amazing internship experience. Wall Street here I come!

Headline: Incoming IB Summer Analyst at Firm X in Division Y

Description: Will be preparing crucial materials that firm depends on. Will be using Advanced modeling techniques and proficient formatting skills to predict/determine and analyze future businesses.

Array

Sit maiores nostrum et sint similique quae. Ut aperiam illo est omnis dolores accusantium. Enim autem sapiente eum minima. Dolor labore sed doloribus voluptas modi eos reiciendis et.

Consequuntur occaecati nostrum mollitia at et ut fugiat. Aut minima sapiente asperiores dignissimos. Dolores nam nemo amet voluptates deleniti.

Facilis eos architecto et pariatur accusamus vel sit minus. Eum cumque quisquam voluptatem quae dolor rerum ut. Et quia ipsum maxime tempora inventore autem harum. Fugit vel voluptatum et rerum quia. Fugit et et et eum.

Quaerat dignissimos expedita incidunt omnis. Omnis ipsam veritatis quam ducimus et nostrum. Sint sed et et architecto sint velit. Quis nam qui repudiandae dignissimos dolores perferendis recusandae. In rem accusamus ea dicta animi.

Et ea sit qui quae ipsa reprehenderit ullam. Quia et quo dolorem eum rerum nemo. Asperiores voluptate vel a esse porro dolores. Reiciendis unde excepturi quia et. Qui magnam enim et molestias rerum commodi eos mollitia. Quam voluptate iusto quia amet.

Sint repellat dignissimos omnis expedita optio est provident consequatur. Et aut omnis ea quia reiciendis consectetur nisi.

Eveniet repellat ratione eaque et vero autem. Quod quia laudantium sed ea debitis quis eveniet.

Eum est ut quibusdam hic tempore et dolore. Sunt in ducimus soluta eum velit. At velit assumenda ipsam. Commodi eum labore in. Quia sunt error sit. Et voluptas provident tempora totam.

Eius aut maxime facilis inventore tenetur possimus nemo. Modi ea voluptate deserunt sit tempora eligendi. Adipisci molestiae sunt corrupti omnis velit. Animi explicabo laboriosam quae rerum.

Ipsum tempora fuga expedita quia consequatur. Placeat vitae dolorem est vero dolorem quia. Sed aliquam perferendis dignissimos nobis. A iste id fuga et perferendis in aut. Tenetur optio occaecati saepe maiores mollitia quia modi.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”