Q&A: Career Transitions - Corporate to IB to Corp Dev to Independent Consulting

About

I've made multiple career transitions so far 1) Engineering and software development for a Fortune 100 firm 2) MBA and IB 3) IB to corp dev 4) Corp Dev to business transformation (COO) role 5) Independent strategic advisory for small to medium businesses Not everything was planned on Day 1, and different paths opened up at each stage. Happy to answer questions.

Mentoring

Want to work with me? Click here

It took me about 4 months to find a corp dev role. It was not easy though. In IB, I had a list of recruiters I could call and could land 2-3 interview within a couple of weeks (whether or not I could convert them was a different matter). But for corp dev, the process of finding out which places had open roles was all from networking.. none of the jobs I applied to online for corp dev yielded any call-backs.

I was able to convert the first corp dev interview I had, fortunately (but this is not common). The lead came from an ex-IB VP who had interviewed for the same role but did not take it because it was not senior enough for him. So he sent it my way.

Strategies that worked - showing that I understood how things worked in a corp, talking about strategy and execution (not just the deal process but getting internal approvals etc.). And demonstrating fit with the team.

I got burnt out in IB. Was working 100 hours / week with a young family, and I saw it was unsustainable. Corp Dev was a logical exit.

People do corp dev for a while, so not everyone looks for an exit necessarily. But traditional exits are into a GM role (for which you need to acquire some operational experience).

If you have done IB before corp dev and had a clear (interim) reason for exiting IB, then you may be able to go back - but probably at a lower level or at a lower tier bank than what you had when you exit IB.

If you've never done IB, it might be still possible but I don't expect the BBs would hire you just for your corp dev skills. Unless you've spent say 15 years in corp dev and are an industry player - then maybe you could join at a senior role at an IB. But I expect that would be hard to do. IB is pretty different from corp dev - in terms of focus on sales, the travel, deal quotas, competition etc.

I was in IB for four years, 33 - 37, and was among the older ones in my associate class. My wife had a busy job but I wouldn't say it was high stress. Its definitely challenging to do justice to your family and do a good job at IB. The job is a black hole of time and energy and takes up a lot of your mental space, so even if you are at home with the family, it takes conscious effort to take your mind off work and be present. And expect some negotiation and confrontation with your significant other when you head off to work in the weekends and cancel vacations.

Interested in how your experience in software development intersected with with your subsequent finance-related roles.

• Did your programming ability/technical knowledge give you any advantage when you ventured into finance? Or are the two fields unrelated to the point where it was no longer applicable? Did you do any interdisciplinary work?

• For people currently in finance, do you think it's useful to gain some tech/programming skills? What kinds of opportunities might arise by combining these two skillsets?

I found the analysis and the "flow" of the modeling to be fascinating and I really loved making the the numbers all work (not just making the three statements balance but really seeing that the modeling was just plain and simple math). Once I got the concepts, I knew I could build any kind of model. Also, though I had never done accounting before, I found it relatively intuitive - not saying I was an expert by any means but I just enjoyed it to the point where I would research some concepts (even if it was not needed for the model) just so I could have it clean in my head and build my intutive understanding. My analysts could always model 2-3 times faster than me and make my head spin - I never matched their efficiency but I could take a new concept and muddle my way through to get a model that I could explain to my MD. I have my engineering skills to thank for that. I didn't find any advantage from my technology skills though - never used any of my programming knowledge except to maybe pickup some shortcuts etc. a touch easier than others.

Now, its a whole different world. I think traditional Excel modeling skills are getting commoditized. Its very accretive to pick up some data analytics (data visualization, dashboarding etc.) and combine that with finance skills. Valuable not just in corp dev but also in FP&A and PE. You can build analytics that make your whole team's work very easy and be known as someone who is useful and can combine both. I don't think data science (R / Python etc.) are that used in traditional finance yet but it's going to change a lot in 2-3 years, so its not a bad idea to start now.

Great post! Have a buddy who heads up IT for a bank service co. They handle the payment processing and other items for many hundreds of community banks. He knows some of the corp fin guys and said not many know anything about Python Tableau, etc. However, the few that do are rock stars. They combine their finance knowledge with SQL , Python, Tableau and are invaluable to their team.

I think this will become the norm shortly so the kids on this forum ought to start planning now. So many resources to learn this stuff on the side for those with an interest.

Most Helpful

Thanks for doing this. Quick questions for you:

1. How did you build a book of business to consult for small/medium sized companies? I've been lately considering contracting on my own someday because the idea of avoiding the politics/bureaucracy of mega companies in corporate America is pretty appealing to me. The thing that always stumps me is how I'd go about winning business, so what steps did you take to do this?

2. You touched on this briefly in another response, but do you have good resources for learning python/R in a way that's actually helpful for corp fin? There's plenty of free resources to understand what a dictionary/tuple is and some information about doing basic things in pandas. That said, I find it very hard to apply these tools to most of the finance/accounting work I've done so far. I feel like SQL is more useful so far, since I can create smaller datasets by filtering from larger databases that excel can't handle. Can't say the same for Python thus far, so what am I missing and where can I inform myself?

Thanks!

1) I started with my network - ex-bosses, ex-colleagues, close friends, and asked them to consider me for projects or to tell people they knew. There are other ways like working with project consulting companies who can send business your way for a (big) cut of the top line. Its very much a work in progress, and I spend about 50% of time in biz dev, instead of executing, so be prepared to hit the road, make calls and follow-up. Not very different from networking for a job but can be much more stressful if thats your only source of income.

2) I don't know Python or R, and am beginning to learn, so I'm not the best resource for this. I've done C and C++ programming at the operating system level, so R is new but not hard for me to learn. But there is a great course on Coursera on R-programming (complete with weekly assignments and a certification), and you can get some excellent books on Amazon for under $20. Its really not that hard to learn if you are willing to roll up your sleeves, but just requires some practice. I agree that SQL is more useful than R, so I'd start with the basics of SQL (selects, joins) before moving on to R / Python.

Thank you for posting. Can you comment on your transition from IB to Corp dev; specifically, what group/sector were you in in IB and what sector was the company that you went to do Corp dev in?

my own career path has been diverse if perhaps unusual so curious to hear what you feel was maybe the most difficult jump or worst setback you experienced. put slightly differently, was there ever a point where you made the move from A to B (or B to C) and you had a moment where you realized you didn't know nearly as much as you might have thought?

Joshua Friedman, CFA @yoshfriedman

Yes, when I made the decision to go into IB, I didn't really know what I was getting into. I heard the stores multiple times from B-school seniors, VPs, MDs - but it felt like the hours and the work were something I could handle without too much effort. I had worked pretty hard to get into a good college and didn't feel like this was any different. What I didn't realize though is that it never ever ends - you're always running night and day, and if you slow down you get fired. If I had known that, I might have looked at other options more carefully. I probably still would have chosen IB because the experience I got was amazing, and I did not mind the trade-off of work-life balance. But I wish I had internalized the stories better so that I went into IB with a more balanced mindset.

Thanks for the AMA.

I'm a 1st year 24 year old investment banking analyst with a no name boutique currently working in Germany. I have no Masters degree, my bachelors degree is from a non-target Eastern European university, and I am a level 2 CFA candidate.

I would like to lateral to a Tier 1 or Tier 2 bank in London or NYC over the next two years. What would you advise me to focus on now, and how to position myself in the future to be able to lateral to a strong shop with large deals in the near future? Is it even possible to lateral from Europe to US without being a US citizen due to visa constraints?

Thanks a lot for your time.

Voluptatem quae non consequatur est voluptates sit iusto. Ab ipsam alias unde vel sed occaecati. Pariatur reprehenderit voluptas aut aut consequatur minima alias. Sit et rerum veniam tempore voluptatem tempore. Et magnam non earum ut blanditiis et sit.

Possimus inventore eveniet consequatur hic nemo provident dignissimos. Fugiat dolorum et quis rem ipsam quae quidem minus. Praesentium ratione impedit et quaerat sint. Ut dolor amet rem sit. Et reprehenderit rerum ex aliquam quis qui saepe quia. Corporis laudantium eligendi provident ea vitae.

Doloremque accusantium dolor est laborum ut reprehenderit delectus. Aliquid occaecati et sit omnis rem. Sit enim nihil voluptates optio fugit.

Illo aut hic et aut. Laborum ad iusto optio delectus dignissimos. Amet in consequuntur ducimus quasi.

Vitae corrupti est alias repudiandae. Ab dignissimos sint sint ipsum fugiat praesentium velit. Odio magni facere enim.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”