Hey everyone! I've finally moved out of the finance life very recently into a more operationally-intensive role but this forum was tremendously helpful to me for years so I want to share my career path and thought process since I took some unconventional approaches.
- Started college in a non-target majoring in accounting -> transferred to a target school after a year
- Did summer internships after freshmen, soph, and jr year (business valuation, investor relations, BB ER)
- Stuck with BB ER firm after college and joined FIG coverage (~stayed 2 years)
- Networked for 6 months and joined an operationally-focused consumer growth equity fund as an Associate
- Fleshed out my network while in growth equity and was referred a finance & operations role at a cannabis startup by an angel investor I befriended
I'd rather not dive too deep into the cannabis role just yet but happy to answer any other aspects of my background. I'm a pretty neurotic strategist when it comes to my career path so every move I did was quite deliberate and thought out. One area I struggled a lot on and hope to help people on this forum with is the art of networking, particularly developing networks from scratch as a junior person because I'm a firm believer that networking SUCKS and is a slow grind but can help you make pretty aggressive career leaps/pivots.