I'm more than happy to help any WSO'ers with perspectives on, renewable energy, agriculture, value investing, and life in the Midwest. And in return, I expect to learn from you.
- I'm a 20-year management and economic/financial consulting veteran that got started in 1993 as an associate with Putnam, Hayes & Bartlett in their Palo Alto Office.
- Spent time in various industry functions over the next 15 years from GIS software product marketing, to acquisition work of development rights on 1,500 acres of ground ($100 MM) in a wine growing region of California, to managing a portfolio of agriculture, energy, entertainment, transportation and other clients, including a proposed $300 million biome that received $50 million in federal funds after a move to Iowa in 2003 for a former spouse entering academia.
- Tired of selling great and mundane ideas and concepts to business owners for pennies on the dollar (my hourly/monthly retainer billing model), I decided to bone up on the leading thinkers of value and behavioral investing (2015-2017) and change my focus to investing and capital allocation. Some hedge fund market research work for a West Coast activist investor in the this time blew my mind about how Elon Musk is changing the world.
- Along the way, I have expanded my international business focus to include China, India, Israel and Africa. In 2016, I spent 10 days in Israel with a delegation from my home city of West Des Moines, looking to bring Israeli technology to the United States and more specifically the low cost, high quality of life offered by the Midwest. I continue to pursue this international business development work on the side.
- This year I'm looking to expand my focus on professional investing by finding a team of investors where I can find inspiration and new challenges. This may include an endowment, a foundation, a family office, an activist hedge fund, or a VC/PE shop. Mission, impact, ESG and sustainability are themes of interest in an increasingly globalized world facing climate change.
That's a quick thumbnail through 53 years on this planet with some scars to show, some unexpected turns included, and two beautiful children.
Hometown is Wayland MA, went to school at Williams College (go Ephs, class of '87) and later Yale for an MBA and an MEM (master's of environmental management).
Thanks in advance!