RE Thesis 2019 - Any suggestions?

Hi everyone,

I hope that you are fine.

I'm writing to you because i need to do a master thesis during my end-of-studies internship. I'm actually doing it in a small shop in real estate private equity.

I was considering to write on the following subject : "what are the leverage of value creation in real estate private equity?", with a focus on residential multifamily assets. It seems to be not very relevant i guess.

Thank you for you help.

A young real estate student

Most Helpful

As someone that lives and breathes industrial everyday, I do not think that ghost kitchens are going to take off, at least in industrial spaces in most markets. It probably makes sense in areas with a very high population density.

First of all, it isn't as simple as just throwing up some drywall. Kitchens have more in common with a surgical operating room than they do with a warehouse. Everything has to be food grade, which is relatively very expensive, and the amount of penetrations through the roof that would be required makes me cringe.

Second, the name of the game in industrial is to keep finished out spaces to an absolute minimum. Space requirements are going to vary dramatically from tenant to tenant, and ripping out 10,000 SF of specialized space when a tenant moves can be very expensive. Institutional investors hate flex buildings, and they'll hate ghost kitchens even more.

Last, people that do not work on industrial drive past the shitty looking shallow bay stuff and think it is a shitty Class C building. Little do they know that shallow bay infill industrial is so insanely hot right now and it is nearly impossible to replace in a cost effective manner. They already demand very high rents, rent growth is insane, and ghost kitchens are likely not the highest and best use.

Something on short term rentals could be interesting. Here's a good place to start:

https://www.bisnow.com/national/news/multifamily/why-short-term-rentals…

Lots of companies in this space now including Stay Alfred, Pillow, Niido, and Sonder. Plenty of issues to research including legal issue (is it a hotel?), municipalities outlawing STRs, how it's impacting income statements, how the average renter feels about having transient neighbors, safety concerns, etc.

I'm considering writing my thesis about The monetary and credit policies by banks and central banks and it's global influence on the prices of every property class. It's been written about many times but just covering residential buildings. I'm thinking about seeing the whole picture to reflect what to focus on depending on the policies presented.

At ut laudantium porro vel aut. Dolores blanditiis incidunt debitis aut nesciunt doloribus. Modi nulla commodi et nostrum earum. Consequatur mollitia dolorem distinctio voluptatem voluptatem omnis hic. Consequatur quibusdam aut libero consequatur ipsa harum.

Accusamus libero necessitatibus quia est deserunt et omnis voluptatibus. Deserunt sed qui fuga ea maxime ut voluptatem. Quos esse ea suscipit dolor. Sunt odio autem ducimus ut dolor.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”