Recruiting FT 2021 Experience

Senior here at a target school. Had a respected global name-brand RE internship junior year and team isn't hiring anyone for FT anymore so I'm recruiting again. Has anyone had a significantly harder time this season? Obviously I assumed this would be a crazy year but I'm barely getting responses at this point. Any advice or experiences to share? Just hoping to get employed and stay positive. Thanks.

Most Helpful

A lot of firms have hit "pause" with college/new grad recruiting and some are even deferring FT start dates on previously made offers (and yes, some are getting cancelled). This is well beyond CRE, as accounting firms and even banks/corporates have made similar moves. There is good and bad news (from the employer perspective)....

Bad news first, some of these cuts are due to declining business and may not come back soon (some layoffs as well). 

Good news is that it seems like a lot of plans are just "paused" and firms are waiting to make sure no major adverse impacts and/or just do not want to onboard new hires with no experience while work from home and social distancing measures are in place. Thus, if the vaccine really comes out/works, this summer could be hiring bonanza. Plus, many firms are actually in strong positions and want to buy more (everyone dreams of buying in a downturn, reality is that it is way harder than it looks, tons of competition and new groups come from out of nowhere and make offers). 

So, stay focused and positive, keep gaining new skills, networking as best you can etc. This is anecdotal, but the hiring market for experienced hires seems to decently strong and functioning (this is not universal of course), that is part of why I think the reluctance to onboard new people while working remote is the real impact that you are experiencing. 

Senior at a target here too. Interned at a top brokerage shop over the summer, but they don't do return offers. I've barely had any interviews since the summer, and nearly all haven't worked out. Have been trying to talk to as many people/alumni as possible. I should be in line for a few interviews early next year (recruiting for some of these firms is pretty late, but that's real estate).

I don't really know how it is supposed to be usually, but obviously covid has made it worse. I'm really hoping recruiting picks up at the beginning of next year (since that's when most real estate hiring is for seniors supposedly). I'm honestly not sure what I'll be doing after graduation if I don't get into RE since it seems like all the other industries are wrapping up recruiting (would appreciate any advice on back ups if people have any).

Blanditiis maiores exercitationem soluta ut. Provident fugit ipsa maxime enim sit molestiae.

Eos velit nisi quia sit. Rem magnam sed sed rerum. Voluptatem quia velit tempore modi. Provident saepe iure sint modi.

Natus cupiditate eum enim amet ut autem officia. Rerum error consectetur quia rerum qui beatae perferendis. Aut animi iusto dignissimos laboriosam ad dolores consequatur. Ut consequatur ratione eos sed.

Eos nostrum nesciunt autem sed laborum velit. Laboriosam voluptate commodi est harum quibusdam est aperiam quibusdam. Laborum consequatur dignissimos repudiandae omnis aut dolor nulla blanditiis. Blanditiis fugiat qui pariatur necessitatibus perspiciatis hic et. Aspernatur exercitationem at dolore exercitationem. Aliquid qui ut vitae perferendis. Sequi doloribus quasi omnis.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”