Reneging on 2021 SA Offer

Thoughts/Advice on whether or not to renege on an offer. Received an offer from a BB in NYC. I want to explore my options at EB but offer expires before other bank's even start interviews

-accept offer and continue recruiting/exploring opportunities
-decline offer and continue recruiting but no guarantee of receiving a better offer

welcome to what’s known as an exploding offer. what I would first do is contact people I know in firms that interest me and tell them about this offer and kindly explain how you want to work at their bank and if there’s a possibility for an accelerated recruiting. if that doesn’t work then I’ll look at this banks history of what happens if the you renege. I’ll then make a decision based on these factors.

I've reached out but haven't heard back yet. I'm assuming HR is extremely busy given whats going on right now. Would you decline the offer? or would you accept and continue recruiting (keeping in mind thatfirms are probably downsizing their SA and FT classes)

Compare the size, I mean if its a very small boutique in a tier-II city then definitely decline. But what my mentors told me was you can decline and still tell others that see I got an offer but I declined that because I really want to intern at your bank. So, weigh your options. For example, don't decline Citi because you want to go to Goldman Sachs.

This seems like a bad time not to take an available offer, especially if it's already at a BB.

There’s several other posts here asking this. General consensus is to first ask to accelerate the processes you’re in elsewhere and leverage however this is becoming increasingly useless as firms are less prone to accelerating for individuals especially this early. It is not a good idea to continue to recruiting after accepting an offer especially if you’re throwing your name out there in cold emails to a bunch of people across firms.

There are several stories of interns you can find here and that I have heard of personally of banks who learn that a kid reneged someplace else for their bank (easy to find out at targets where once kids accept an offer the school’s career office knows for placement statistics) and that bank no longer wants to have a candidate that did so or if found out later on in the year it may come to bit them during the summer.

Most Helpful

Couldn’t you play it off, citing coronavirus fears? I’d be hard pressed to stop networking entirely this early in the process, even if I had an offer personally in hand right now. @OP I’d accept the offer if it’s a place you’d like to work, then continue networking with banks you’re interested in. I personally wouldn’t renege, and I’d say you shouldn’t send emails that make it sound like you would. If you could spin each email to basically sound like you’re interested in learning more about the banks or interested just in meeting people for the sake of networking, rather than looking to get a “better” offer, that would be totally fine. I just think it wouldn’t be fair if you were to, say, accept your offer right now and then get screwed next summer if the bank decides to pull offers because the economy sucks. You wouldn’t have friends at other banks who knew you were legit - you’d have to basically start over from scratch.

The only people that should have a ‘fear’ of offers being pulled are incoming SA’s this year some FT offers, not sure what SA 2021 has to do with any of that. You do realize it means you guys do not start work work until more than a year from now? It’s the same ‘risk’ as any year of a bank collapsing which is very low unless you think the current situation will go on for another 18 months?

Any thoughts about how FT recruiting works for BB SA looking to lateral to a better group on the street?

How did you get the offer? You are extremely stupid to ask this question given the economic times. Take what you can get and move on.

In neque in sequi qui velit fugiat. Magni ea molestiae qui sint qui provident voluptatem. Porro voluptatem qui voluptas debitis aspernatur rem. Iure laudantium voluptas numquam ut. Qui magni eum non beatae est. Facere sit earum aperiam qui similique. Excepturi aliquam ut dolor sunt rem impedit iusto.

Quis et quis totam quia nihil repudiandae. Et et perspiciatis at. Nesciunt sit et illum libero. Voluptatibus qui similique et est molestiae. Suscipit voluptas velit voluptate dolores iusto laudantium illum.

Ut cum non et in. Soluta et eveniet eius illo vitae maxime. Aut dolore debitis magni modi deserunt et nihil. Nobis fugit et nostrum rerum maxime. Voluptate vel adipisci et deleniti temporibus et.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”