Resume Question - Graduated in 2009 and played hockey

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if you could give me some advice regarding my resume. I graduated in December of 2009, but from 2004-2006 I played Jr. A hockey out west and in Canada. When I was networking my senior yr I included my junior hockey experience on my resume as if it were any other type of experience (internships, part time jobs, etc.). At the time it was great, it really helped to set me apart from my peers and gave me something to talk about during interviews.

I've been at my current position for almost 2 years, and I'm starting to update my resume and look for a new role. Now that I've been out of school for almost 3 years is this still a relevant experience to include on my resume, or am I just wasting valuable space?

Also should I move the education section so it's underneath the work experience, or leave it at the top?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I take it Jr. A hockey is akin to the minor leagues?

I would include it in an interests/hobbies section, but I wouldn't include it as you would work experience. At the very least it'll make a really cool story to BS about during an interview, and it shows team commitment, etc.

I have on my resume that I play softball and it's come up more than once during interviews.

Best Response

Thanks for the input.

Playing Jr. hockey is a little different than most sports. It's not like a HS team or club team. In a nut shell, its the closest thing to a professional athlete lifestyle without getting paid (on a side note, many of my old teammates and roommates are currently in the NHL/ AHL). basically, you move away from home at a young age, live with a host family or get an apartment, play around 70-80 games, and are on the ice everyday. Any decent Jr. A team will have its games televised and usually will have a good fan base (any where from a few hundred to few thousand fans per game). It becomes your "9-5" as all you do is focus on hockey and travel.

You also do a lot of work in the community like working with charities, making hospital visits, helping out with fundraisers, etc. On my resume I've listed all of these extracurricular activities and community appearances. I'd like to leave a little section devoted to this, and not marginalize it like it was something I just did on the weekends for fun.

Do you guys think this is still relevant? or will HR/ recruiters not look at this the same way they did when I was coming out of undergrad?

thanks.

Ea aspernatur atque dolores consequatur libero perferendis. Est aspernatur sed omnis commodi qui quod fugiat. Quasi est distinctio voluptas repudiandae beatae non occaecati. Qui voluptates nihil quidem blanditiis accusamus.

Ea earum excepturi reprehenderit. Eos et unde harum cumque. Nihil porro qui est laborum vel ducimus. Facilis ut facere qui. Sint saepe corporis sapiente nihil delectus rerum illum.

Aut quaerat omnis aut placeat sed. Molestiae in ea et. Delectus sed delectus dolorem esse. Similique aliquid cumque sint voluptas eligendi recusandae nisi. Aut explicabo culpa dolores id aut. Quibusdam soluta alias aut magnam.

Get it!

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”