Retake 730 GMAT for H/S/W?

Delete———————————————————————————————————————————-

Delete———————————————————————————————————————————-

Bump. Any advice? From what I've found searching forums, I'm right on the borderline for a score that will neither help nor hurt me, but I'm wondering if it's worth retaking since I'm still a senior in school so I have so much time.

Best Response
Donald'sWig:

Bump. Any advice? From what I've found searching forums, I'm right on the borderline for a score that will neither help nor hurt me, but I'm wondering if it's worth retaking since I'm still a senior in school so I have so much time.

Congrats on your graduation and new job.

I think you need to do a cost/benefit analysis regarding the GMAT retake. If you think you can raise your score with minimal effort -- that you had the proverbial bad day -- then go for it. If it's going to take any serious effort, then I doubt if it's worth it. Given your GPA, you must have lots of A's in quant courses. Your work experience should be impressive. I doubt if schools will need a higher GMAT to convince them you can handle the work load. They might prefer a higher GMAT to make them look better if they accept you,, but I don't think your GMAT is a negative..

Frankly I think you would get more bang for your time buck if raising your score takes more than minimal effort, if you used that time for an extra-curricular commitment and ultimately leadership role with impact.

Given that you are also still several years away from applying, I'd also suggest you download Prep for B-School: a 4-Year Guide for college Students and Recent Grads..

Best, Linda

Linda Abraham President, Accepted | Contact Me | Admissions Consulting

The 730 should be sufficient. Especially when combined with a high undergrad GPA.

The stats are merely table stakes, and yours are more than high enough. Once you get to the interviews the real question will be how interesting your professional experiences you are and how much you've demonstrated leadership ability.

A tip -- Find a specialized niche you love when evaluating PE opportunities. If you eat/sleep/breathe success because you are fascinated by your vocation it always comes through.

Thanks for the responses. So if a 730 is passable, is there no point in retaking during this semester of school? I'm just worried that I won't have time once I start working this summer, plus I'm still in classes/study mode.

Ask yourself what the opportunity costs are.

As long as the ~$300 isn't a dealbreaker for you, you do not have anything else planned in the next few weeks that could benefit your career / resume, and you wouldn't mind resuming studying then go for it.

If you do have e.g. extracurriculars you could attend to (investment clubs, congresses, etc.) that would stand you in better stead when writing your applications, choose to do those, since they are much more valuable than a 20-pt GMAT difference once you've hit that 730 threshold.

I honestly would retake it. Unless you believe you can do something truly exceptional for extracurriculars (found a charity that gets a check from the Gates Foundation, etc.) or will be part of the next Silver Lake / Dell deal during your time in PE, you're going to blend in with the 1,000's of other people that look like you coming from finance.

I'm not sure why people pretend that GMAT doesn't matter. Yes, it's obviously not the only thing, but schools report their averages to US News and S/W post averages to their website (H uses median). So, because of how averages work, yes it matters. You're right at the average for H/W & below the average for S. If they're grabbing a "boring" finance candidate, they're going to at least pick one that makes up for the interesting kid with a 690 that they took.

Should retake, if anything this will give you scholarship money. As much as they say you only need 720+ and then other parts of your profile kick into consideration, from personal experience if your profile is unique it's great but then if you have 770 it's a deal breaker.

If you think you could perform better without too much additional sacrifice why not? It would def. help if Stanford is your top choice.

But if it would come at the cost of more interesting parts of your app (due to the opportunity costs of time and effort), then don't bother.

I split 44/47, overall 96th percentile.

Not trying to overwhelm with the stats but I'm a little nervous.

I am a URM. Currently have 3.9 double major in Math and Econ at a Cal Tech, MIT, Stanford, Princeton. Varsity athlete and working this summer at a buyside shop along the lines of BX, SL, Apollo, SSG after spending last summer at a BB in trading. Spent the last two years as a research assistant for a big name in the Business School world and am getting published under him this summer. He used to be at HBS/GSB but has left to another program.

Main concern is despite being a math guy I messed up on the quant section - I came in the 68th percentile, atrocious given my background. Honestly have no idea what went wrong. Definitely want to apply for first round but I know I'm going to be getting crushed this summer and I'm not sure if I'll have the time to take it again. Despite being the median score, is this something that could break me?

Thanks guys, long time lurker and I appreciate the advice.

You should be able to get your quant up to 49 with your background and more practice. Crank through official GMAT problems, all other train bad habits. If CR and RC were your worst sections of verbal, improve through practice problems. If sentence correction was your worst verbal section, buy the Manhattan GMAT sentence correction book and work through that.

Also, the 2nd time you take the GMAT will be better than the first in my / my coworkers' experiences. Also make sure you get proper sleep and exercise the week leading up to the test and have a nutrition plan for test day.

My first thought is why not? If you studied for a week and got a 730, just give it another shot. If you have time, study for another two weeks or whatever and go get your 780. No reason to let the 730 be what holds you back.

Congrats on the 730 though! That is a great score and there are more than a few people that would kill to have it.

Inventore repudiandae nisi quod odio adipisci iusto reiciendis. Beatae commodi eos sed earum. Eius non id reprehenderit dicta debitis natus. Est ut veniam saepe quaerat qui voluptas. Incidunt maiores alias inventore illum. Modi minus est fugiat. Vero quibusdam dolores quis perspiciatis molestiae rerum sint dolores.

Ad qui sed harum est laborum. Qui veritatis harum voluptas. Et rerum eligendi modi placeat rerum et. Ut perspiciatis rerum quae tenetur omnis. Cumque laboriosam id quaerat.

Voluptatibus a omnis eos nihil magnam. Alias nihil omnis libero blanditiis qui dolores nihil. Et voluptatem sint occaecati quia deleniti dolorem et. Dolores explicabo ducimus voluptas dolore voluptatem.

I am permanently behind on PMs, it's not personal.

Error facilis beatae asperiores sit atque molestiae. Et deserunt aperiam non magni placeat minus unde molestias. Dolorem quisquam et qui qui maiores et aspernatur. Temporibus nostrum quas praesentium distinctio quo impedit. Nihil debitis repudiandae optio fuga minima.

Similique esse deleniti est qui quod et. Pariatur libero voluptatem id enim quasi illum dolor. Enim debitis laborum architecto et nostrum cupiditate. Nesciunt iusto labore libero eius magnam aspernatur rerum.

Delectus et neque fugit eaque sed. Minima non et reiciendis necessitatibus unde. Quae accusantium inventore exercitationem nihil. Repellat libero qui sed nesciunt repellat.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”