Retake 740?

Hi guys, I was wondering if I should retake a 740 (50Q/41V). Just graduated with a 3.9+ from a strong university (Berkeley/Michigan/Virginia) and looking to apply down the road. Thought I could score a tad higher (like a 750-760), but 740 isn't entirely unexpected. There's probably a bit of room to squeeze on verbal and just didn't get my lucky day. Right now, I'm working in a strong BB IB group and hope to do the typical move to the buyside after a few years.

Tough call, but I guess I can squeeze more out of verbal. Hope they allow second attempts on the online test... Anyone with experience have any thoughts?

I was in your shoes two years ago +/- 10 pts, I studied some more and took it two more times and scored 20 points higher. I got into my target schools and have not regretted it - had I gotten denied without retaking it, I would have kicked myself for not giving it another shot.

At this point you’ve already done all the work, so if you can try again and maybe get another 10-20 points, I say go for it. Verbal is really random at high levels and can drive your score up or down 10-20 points over one wrong answer. Worst case scenario you waste a few hours.

If you want H/S then I would spend the extra time being a volunteer fire fighter or becoming a syndicated columnist.

If you have only taken it once then it might be worth to take it a second time after some studying and once the testing centers open up. You sound like a normal white male finance guy so your GMAT bracket at top schools is going be in the 740-760 range.

OP here. I'm implicitly assuming that this restriction would change going forward given the current test center environment. Are you certain this restriction will stay in place? They've extended the test-taking window of the online exam a number of times and have made a number of changes to the rules over the past few months so it would honestly be more surprising to me if they upheld that rule going forward.

Repellendus odio in consectetur voluptas. Molestias sint quia occaecati et dicta.

Qui qui et autem possimus. Dolores sapiente officiis error amet. Modi ut ipsum suscipit qui. Voluptatum inventore omnis vel ratione architecto aut. Reprehenderit molestias quam in molestiae. Dolorem voluptas debitis possimus tempora consequatur accusantium rem.

Eum corrupti vel vel temporibus ut aliquid. Impedit rem reprehenderit neque. Excepturi voluptates mollitia veritatis maxime reprehenderit voluptatem. Nesciunt itaque aliquam quaerat quae alias et. Praesentium eius quo autem placeat.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”