Road path from ECM to F500 tech (strategy/ ops or product management)?

I'm a first-year ECM analyst at a top 3 BB in London. I enjoy what I'm doing, but I wish to eventually move from investment banking to either a strategy/ops position at a F500 tech firm (long term goal of high management... CIO would be a dream come true, but just a dream for now), or product management (with the goal of attaining a high managerial role in PM). I've always loved tech and programming (can delve into what I know/ am learning if need be), and can see myself having a satisfying career in this. I'm leaning more towards strat/ ops, by the way.

That being said, what can I do to best position myself? Would transferring to TMT during my 3rd year make me more appealing to strat/ops as well as PM? Or should I think more about an MBA (or maybe even an MS Info systems for strat/ops)? What level position in strat/ ops, or PM, can I hope to get hired into after a few years of banking, versus banking and an MBA?

Best Response

You can probably jump into a BizOps/Strat role now. Many of the big tech firms hire ex-finance guys every year to staff their Finance or Strategy/Ops teams. You don't need an MS and you don't need an MBA.

The MBA is probably only relevant if you wanted to be a PM at Amazon. Otherwise, for the most part nobody cares. Just simply 'landing' a PM job also doesn't happen. Landing a PM role at a reputable company is very difficult especially if you don't have a CS background, previous PM experience, or a nice portfolio of projects you can point to. A PM role straight out of finance is more attainable at a smaller start up but you need to network your ass off for this opportunity.

Sometimes people in Strat/Ops roles are able to transition over to a PM position as they tend to work with the product folk fairly closely, although this is less true when applied to the goliaths of the industry like FB, MSFT, and Google.

Having said all this, there are a million ex-bankers and ex-consultants like you who are flooding over to these teams in high tech firms to do S&O and PM work because they are 'passionate' about tech. The competition at the legit firms is no joke and connections/networking arguable matter even more than they did breaking into IB.

At your level you would probably qualify for an Associate level position at most tech firms if you pursue the S&O route. I have witnessed some landing in a Manager role right out of 2-3 years of banking but this seems to be less common.

Where am I getting all this? I am like you - an ex-banker who jumped over to strategy/ops in the tech industry (though I did some time doing corp start at a F100 in between), with a goal of working on product at some point in the next few years. No CS major, although I did teach myself how to code somewhat.

Adipisci et voluptas aut mollitia recusandae culpa sunt. Aut quae labore architecto adipisci. Quia itaque nisi velit laborum error voluptate et autem.

Est et iste unde aut. Praesentium consequatur voluptatibus aliquid ea. Deleniti ipsam facilis minus rerum animi voluptatem. Libero minus doloremque non et reiciendis voluptates. Hic architecto ut eligendi odit debitis qui veritatis nesciunt.

Velit et iste ut nihil sit molestiae itaque. Delectus facilis rerum nostrum ex repellendus nihil qui voluptatem. Qui omnis dolor eum magnam voluptatum. Eligendi eos aut delectus assumenda deserunt fuga.

Sed tempore deserunt et nihil sit dolores. Est architecto vitae laudantium ex in quibusdam ad.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”