Although I don't particularly like him, I feel like he would've been a good alternative to trump in the eyes of many republicans/independents. I also appreciate the fact that he's shown this year to have more spine that most other senators (both democratic and republican).  

With that said, he'll be 77 in 2024 so no way to know if he'll be fully there or not. After Biden, doubt people will want another president in their 80's. 

Yeah his spine is definitely admirable. If he's able to criticize Trump and the Dems without fear, I feel like he'd continue the work to deal with Antifa/Radical left rather htan cowering in fear. I can definitely see your point about age though. The GOP probably will want to bring in more young voters to the base. What are your thoughts on Cruz?

Array

Unfortunately, a lot of conservatives (and Americans overall) just won't be comfortable voting for a non-white person. In a few years, maybe, but America's not there yet.

It's probably a combination of both, but his criticism of Trump led to Trump attacking him pretty aggresively. That did a lot to his image.

Funniest

IncomingIBDreject

Should I create an "AOC 2024" thread?

You can do whatever you'd like; she's certainly nowhere near my top choice for the next Dem nominee. But I do love how a freshmen Representative - who has accomplished something more impressive than almost everyone on this site, myself included -  lives in all of your College Republican MAGA-hatted heads rent free. 

"I don't know how to explain to you that you should care about other people."

Ted Cruz, Rand Paul, Josh Hawley, Tom Cotton, Elise Stefanik, Nikki Haley, Dan Crenshaw, and Larry Hogan are all on the shortlist to run for the GOP nomination in 2024. I'd give Nikki Haley, Ted Cruz, and Josh Hawley the advantage over Mitt Romney. (Josh Hawley is from Missouri so that could give him the Iowa caucus advantage). 

Agree with this, but don't forget Pence.

While I like Romney and voted for him in 2012, he has no shot at being a future nominee for several reasons - he already had a chance and lost in 2012, and more importantly the biggest Trumpers hate Romney because he looks and acts a lot like a normal politician and has disagreed with Donald often. If he tries to run, I think his performance will be Jeb-esque in the primaries. I hope he doesn't run because he may take votes from Haley, who has a real shot. 

While I actually like Cruz, and think he's become less hateable over the past few years, I don't see him winning a nomination. He almost lost his last senate race in a pretty conservative state to Beto, who was a hilariously terrible candidate as evidenced by his extremely forgettable performance in the Dem. primaries. I don't see how he could win on a national stage against a better candidate than Beto. I also don't think Hogan will be competitive given his views on guns and abortion are more to the left than the other likely Rep. candidates.  

Don’t think Romney will even consider running 2024. 

I think we’ll see Pence, Haley, Rubio, Cotton for sure in the primaries, plus a few others, but who knows what things will look like then. 

Most Helpful

Kidding aside, I'm fascinated by the debate of what becomes of the GOP post-Trump. The white working class loves Trump because he's nasty. The suburbs and cities hate him for the same reason. Can Republicans thread the needle and find a candidate that wins back suburbanites while not bleeding too many of their new white working class base? Trump will be a vocal distraction to the party from his Twitter perch and budding media empire until he takes his last breath.

Don Jr. could run with the Trump ring, but even Trumpers will concede he is the product of a famous last name (pssst, so was his dad) and suburbanites who took a chance on "the self-made billionaire" won't give Trump Jr. the time of day.

Ted Cruz could try to rehabilitate the traditional Romney GOP image with a populist spin, but there's a reason he almost lost Texas. One of the most unlikeable politicians of our generation. And has 0% of the star power or pizazz that will entertain the white working class and keep them engaged. 

My best bet for a near-term winning GOP candidate is someone like Crenshaw, Cotton, or Hawley who have shown the adeptness to play to both the populist and legacy GOP wings. Even then, none of the three have the WWE appeal that Trump brings to the table. 

My hope of course, is that the party spends two decades in the wilderness and births a new, responsible, respectful center-right party. But I'm generally curious what others here think.

To state the issue Republicans face more succinctly - two of the most hated politicians within the Republican base....are their 2012 and 2008 Presidential nominees. Good luck re-building that big tent!

Agree. I think the 3 you mention + Haley + Pence (by virtue of being VP / a more household name) may be the top tier for '24. Haley may be the best shot in '24 to return to a more normal party, although even if someone with all of Trump's positions wins, it'll be much more normal as long as they don't have his personality. 

Unlike a Romney, Haley hasn't bad mouthed Trump, so she should be able to take her fair share of his supporters, but at the same time she can keep Trump at arm's length (for a few reasons, but perhaps most significantly some of things she did as SC governor were very different than how Trump would've handled the same situations - including responses to white supremacists and the Confederate flag). 

MMBanker14

Agree. I think the 3 you mention + Haley + Pence (by virtue of being VP / a more household name) may be the top tier for '24. Haley may be the best shot in '24 to return to a more normal party, although even if someone with all of Trump's positions wins, it'll be much more normal as long as they don't have his personality. 

Unlike a Romney, Haley hasn't bad mouthed Trump, so she should be able to take her fair share of his supporters, but at the same time she can keep Trump at arm's length (for a few reasons, but perhaps most significantly some of things she did as SC governor were very different than how Trump would've handled the same situations).

Agreed, she's a frontrunner. She could definitely rehabilitate the party image with moderates. Will the Trump base come along for the ride if politics is less of a foodfight reality show? That's the $750 dollar question.

2024 Cotton vs. Buttigieg. Calling it now 

I don’t know if they’ll be in the same election, but both will be on their tickets at some point. Both incredibly smart, with wildly different solutions to offer. 

I wish Romney had run in 2016, but we really need to stop the trend of ancient politicians refusing to retire. Not-so-fun fact - Bill Clinton, W, and Trump were all born in the same year... and Biden is even older. Over the past 30 years and for at least the next 4, with an exception for the Obama era, we’ve effectively had the same generation in power. I think Romney would have been a respectable moderate Republican, but at this point we need younger blood in politics

Libs endorsing him in this thread because that's the type of conservative they like, the loser. 

Never discuss with idiots, first they drag you at their level, then they beat you with experience.

neink

Libs endorsing him in this thread because that's the type of conservative they like, the loser. 

I mean... he did lose in 2012.  In it's simplest definition he is a loser.  Not sure what point you're trying to make.

I like Romney and don't mind conservatives in his mold - you know, people with integrity and intelligence.  I voted for McCain in 08.  In bowing to the cult of Trump and to pack the federal courts, most of the GOP has abandoned any sense of integrity or ethics, and I don't think it will be easy to get those types of candidates back.  The mouth breathing base that views a "liberal" as a worse pejorative than pedophile is running the show - you can't win a primary without their vote anymore.

An easy look at this thread:

McCain (loser) wasn't too bad

Romney (loser) wasn't too bad

Ted Cruz (future potential candidate) is evil

I'm old enough to remember when G. Bush was ''totally Hitler'', which inaugurated the long season of dehumanizing conservatives, now a staple of liberal politics. McCain and Romney as candidate got the same. They are now ''rehabilitated'' because the throne of the devil has gone to the current threat, Trump. 10 years from now, Trump won't be that bad after all, because the new threat will be someone else. Thus let's cut the crap and go straight to the point: no GOP candidate will ever be decent for liberals, until he loses and leaves politics. Same  virtually everywhere in the West. There's no center anymore, nor reason to go there. 

Never discuss with idiots, first they drag you at their level, then they beat you with experience.

Milton Friedchickenman

If Trump loses, then I could see Romney pulling whipping the Republican party back to pre 2016 and possibly running for president again.

Total Richard Nixon move

I genuinely don't see how.  The last four years, really ten, have shown that the GOP has moved right to align themselves with their shrinking base, and have left moderates behind.  I just don't know how you counteract that kind of inertia.  Yes, maybe you draw suburban college educated women back into the ranks, or the elderly who are dumping Trump because of COVID concerns, but those aren't the constituencies that win primaries for the GOP.  For all people like to hate on AOC or the "far left", they aren't representative of the Democrats and routinely lose in large scale national elections.  Most swing district Congressional elections have someone in the mold of a Donald Trump; playing on anger, white nationalism, some sense of unredressed grievance, while the Democrat tends to be a moderate who would have been classified as a solid GOP candidate 15 years ago.  The GOP committed hard to appealing to a diminishing voter base in 2016, and to a degree in the 2010/12/14 elections, and I think it takes more than a couple election cycles to reverse that kind of drift

Ozymandia

Milton Friedchickenman

If Trump loses, then I could see Romney pulling whipping the Republican party back to pre 2016 and possibly running for president again.

Total Richard Nixon move

I genuinely don't see how.  The last four years, really ten, have shown that the GOP has moved right to align themselves with their shrinking base, and have left moderates behind.  I just don't know how you counteract that kind of inertia.  Yes, maybe you draw suburban college educated women back into the ranks, or the elderly who are dumping Trump because of COVID concerns, but those aren't the constituencies that win primaries for the GOP.  For all people like to hate on AOC or the "far left", they aren't representative of the Democrats and routinely lose in large scale national elections.  Most swing district Congressional elections have someone in the mold of a Donald Trump; playing on anger, white nationalism, some sense of unredressed grievance, while the Democrat tends to be a moderate who would have been classified as a solid GOP candidate 15 years ago.  The GOP committed hard to appealing to a diminishing voter base in 2016, and to a degree in the 2010/12/14 elections, and I think it takes more than a couple election cycles to reverse that kind of drift

Yeah let's also fact check this.

More liberals have moved leftwards both in quantity and ideological terms and than conservatives have moved rightwards. 

polarization

The source doesn't say he's running. I just constructed a hypothetical. It's an article about him criticizing the name-calling of political debates and division, and instead proposing for more civil discourse, which I respect.

It's taken straight from his own social media account, so really nothing to "question" here. 

Array

Gowdy isn't in politics anymore, and he doesn't have the name benefit of people like Biden or Trump who were elected while serving in a different government role. I think the GOP has moved on from him to be honest. And if Trump loses in 2020, who knows if people will care about Mike Pence 3 years later

I’m a fun guy. Obviously I love the game of basketball. I mean there’s more questions you have to ask me in order for me to tell you about myself. I'm not just gonna give you a whole spill... I mean, I don't even know where you're sitting at

Wolf.5

Ben Sasse is smart and respected. He is also a Midwest guy and has stayed in the middle on Trump (opposed him but got his endorsement in the GOP Senate primaries).

And he just spoke out against Trump in a big way. Interesting move. We’ll see what comes of this. Are the rats fleeing the sinking ship?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/sasse-senate-trump-republicans/…

Quis est dolorem voluptatem quo. Explicabo et consequatur animi quasi neque repellendus. Animi quo itaque autem unde pariatur fuga.

Voluptatem sunt libero est vitae quia sapiente quia nulla. Officiis veniam non quod tempore aliquid beatae voluptatem. Nobis iste consequuntur dolorum odit tenetur esse. Qui eius sed ipsa inventore et inventore vitae.

Nisi quia voluptatem aut. Aut expedita sint dolore. Distinctio perspiciatis ipsa quod voluptatibus sit qui ducimus. Consequuntur pariatur quia error ut est corporis. Eaque sapiente consectetur minus. Quis dolor ipsam accusantium et.

Doloremque ut velit quisquam amet quia. Voluptatem dolores dolore ipsam corrupti. Et facere veritatis delectus eius voluptas officia sit. Praesentium ea a cupiditate dolore commodi et.

Voluptatem eveniet qui ut dolore est. Aperiam minima iusto et incidunt odit alias. Quis in minima non illum voluptas rerum ullam dolorem.

Eligendi aut sit quo voluptatem. Necessitatibus voluptas rerum ut magnam vel. Nulla enim veniam quasi delectus ex dolorem assumenda.

"Work ethic, work ethic" - Vince Vaughn

Debitis soluta consequuntur aliquam eum vel est voluptas in. Sit numquam ullam est assumenda sint.

Praesentium nisi et ipsa nostrum. Dolor consequuntur ut eum eaque nihil et ea. Sed facere odio quis voluptatum magni magnam. Voluptatem excepturi molestiae incidunt soluta eos facilis repellat. Labore et saepe vel ab.

Adipisci aliquid et sunt quia itaque. Doloribus cupiditate earum est ut. Voluptatem qui ad odio deserunt sit officia tempora. Optio vero deserunt non harum veritatis. Ut temporibus illum perspiciatis. Porro perspiciatis culpa nemo ut et.

Veniam minus est non velit voluptates autem ipsam fugit. Suscipit quisquam blanditiis dolores at quibusdam itaque nesciunt. Quia voluptatem amet perferendis maxime vel eos laborum. Eos ut soluta consequatur.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”