SA 2021 (London): I said I was going to do a Master's degree but I no longer will be

I am a final year bachelors student in the UK. I applied for a IB 2021 summer analyst position at a BB and told them that I was going to do a master's degree (that was what I was planning to do at that point). This made me eligible for the internship because they only take penultimate year students.

However, I recently got a pretty good grad offer somewhere (£150k+) and it would be foolish to turn them down to do a master's and hope that I convert the SA. Although it's a good offer, I don't see myself pursuing that career path as it doesn't align with my long-term goals and I want to do IB instead.

Still, because of the money, I accepted the grad offer and ditched the master's plan. This technically makes me ineligible to do the BB internship but they still think I'm doing a master's and the internship is in a month so I doubt they'll rescind my offer now anyway, but I guess they still could.

My question is: if I were to get a return offer from the BB, will they still require me to do a master's? Or will they not care at that point?  Also, when should I tell them that I'm not doing a master's and instead accepted a job offer (but still want to join the BB)? I don't want to risk losing the SA offer, so I'm thinking of telling them in the middle or towards the end of it and tell them that I took the job offer because of my family's monetary situation. Will they think that I'm being unethical/sneaky? How should I approach this entire situation?

If you get a return offer will you accept it or accept the £150k offer? Because if you are going to accept the £150k offer anyway why does it matter?

I would accept the BB offer (which would start in 2022) and do the other job until the BB job starts.

It's a completely different type of role (think coding) and I'm not that interested in it as a long-term career. It is a great gig though, just not my personal preference

Thanks for your comment.

Did you get a return offer from the BB then? Also, when did your backup FT start and when was the start date of your return offer (if you got one)?

Also, what BB was this, if you don't mind?

I would do the internship and then communicate to bank after you hear the outcome that you will not be doing Masters. 1. you get a return offer and start in Jan 2022 / June 2022 . 2. You dont get an offer or they dont extend one when they hear youre not doing Masters. You still have a 150k job !?  And would definitely be able to lateral into IB a couple years later

Whats you course? Curious as having 150k gbp grad offer is an incredible anomaly. 

Blanditiis aliquid ut porro nesciunt. Et quis sunt officia animi saepe. Pariatur enim dolore optio enim velit. Nihil cumque beatae quia illo neque.

Quo et sit est. Natus iure qui inventore non magnam delectus. Beatae magni animi blanditiis est deleniti vel aliquam.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”