Salary progression for F500

Hello Monkeys,
Long time lurker here. Thanks to this site I have been able to work my way into a F500 FP&A Financial Analyst from a complete non-target that could be considered a notch above community college. I am starting at 70K which is solid (low COL city) but I was curious as to what the salary progression looks like for Corp. Fin.

Best Response

70 is solid for an entry level FP&A role.

I know there are a number of threads on this topic already but here are a few anecdotal numbers have seen in my area (low COL) CF comp is roughly as follows:

Analyst - $60-$80k Bonus 0-10%

Senior analyst - $75-$110k 10-20% Bonus

Manager/Sr Manager - $90 - $220k 20-40% Bonus

Director/Sr Director - (Generally starts to include stock) $200-$600k all in

VP - $350 - $1M

SVP/EVP/CFO - $600 - $6M

The above is an agglomeration of individual data points and anectdotal discussions for industries which included Oil & Gas, Power & Utilities, Semiconductors, Mining, Defense and Manufacturing.

For the above industries I would rank pay as follows: 1) Oil&Gas/Mining 2) Power&Utilities 3) Semiconductors 4) Manufacturing 5) Defense

The issue here is that as you can see comp ranges vary so much as to be almost meaningless at the higher levels. However my advice is that there are two things that will impact your comp trajectory most:

1) industry/company 2) Company promotion speed and treatment of high performers.

Edit: Given feeback below I tweaked the lower ends of the executive ranges since some users thought they were not reflective of the lower end of their industry/firm’s pay for those levels.

"I know several people in the industry." Which industry? Corporate finance is a generic term for people who work in finance, accounting, and treasury across dozens of industries and with many different comp structures and seniority levels.

"Your numbers are way too high across the board." Can't be true. There are dozens of people on this board who can verify the first two ranges at a bare minimum. Some of them have already posted. You clearly have a problem with the high ends of specific ranges. If so, name them and I am happy to give you specific examples of individuals (title/company size/industry/ years of experience) I know who have comp packages in those ranges.

Edit: This is actually easier. Check out this link. California requires the publication of the annual compensation (Salary, Stock, Bonus (all lumped into one line)) for every employee who makes more than $125k per year for public utilities. Southern California Edison is a peer of one of the utilities I have worked with and they have very similar comp structures (despite being in a lower cost area than LA). The file at this link has employees who are at all of the ranges I mentioned with the sole exception of $6M for CFO which can be easily verified by pulling proxies for F500 energy companies.

The majority of these employees (even though you can't necessarily tell functional area) are in business roles like HR, Finance, Regulatory Affairs and business unit support roles which all have relatively similar comp structures. This is again, based on my experience working with a similar utility elsewhere.

Happy browsing! http://www.cpuc.ca.gov/General.aspx?id=6442454119

Mirror what Praesto said. CRO's numbers seem high compared to FS & Telecomm. industries for Director+. Those industries I'd say median salary range for Directors' is probably closer to $150k - 180k, and VP probably $220 - 280k...not even sure after that as balance of salary to stock comp. switches.

Wouldn't shock me that O&G on average pays more than FS, but almost double at the low range of Director & VP raises an eyebrow.

While I don't work in CF (I work in brand management at a F500 CPG), based on what I know from my own company those all seem reasonable. To give a point of comparison, for my function (marketing), comp is roughly (numbers below are all-in):

Associate Manager: $105-120k Manager: $140-155k Sr Manager: $170-185k* Ass Director: $200-220k* Director: $250-350k* VP: $400k+*

*These numbers are cash-only. Sr Mgr and above at my company get annual equity grants, but I have no basis on which to judge how large those are or the vesting period.

Director range is so wide since we don't have "Senior Director", so there are varying levels of Director pay without associated title bumps (someone may have 3 different roles over 7-8 years all with the title Director but each is technically a promotion w a new pay level).

EDIT: Standard progression is 2-2.5 years to promotion in each of the roles above. Average time from Assoc. Manager to Director is ~9 years. Associate Manager is the post-MBA role.

I'm currently in a F50 FLDP. The program is rotational and 3 years long.

Enter in at 80k all-in and you receive a raise every year getting you to around $100k at the end of 3 years.

Graduate to Sr Analyst at the end of the program and are looking at $100-120k

General rule is if they've kept you on to be a Sr Analyst after your FLDP, you should be in line for a promotion to manager after 1-3 years as a Sr Analyst. Once you're a manager, you're looking at around $150k and the rest is aligned with what CRO said above.

An FLDP gets you paid more early on and really speeds up promotions.

Make your boss' life easier on a daily basis and you'll get promoted up alongside him. I'm in corp fin F500 and I was promoted twice in a year (first was from intern to full time analyst). My boss clearly stated to me his desire to be promoted in the next couple years and that he needs to trust someone to take over his position first.

grassmuffin:
Why are the FP&A analysts and Sr. FA and managers making way more than the Chemical, Mechanical,and Electrical engineers at the same company?

Engineers will indeed pull in more than their non-technical peers if working at a technical shop. That said, I think from bottom to top these estimates are accurate for FP&A folks, with the assumption that oil & gas and tech pull these ranges higher. I'd expect industries outside of the top tier to fall at the lower end of this range (or outside entirely) but am curious if CRO agrees.

I did IB for 1 year and made about 130k.. decided I didn't like the hours pivoted to FP&A, I started off as an FP&A - made about 60k all in. Got promoted to Senior Analyst - made 85k + 20% bonus. Now I'm a FP&A Manager my base is 110k + 20% bonus depending on my firms performance. I'm in the office everyday at 8:30 and leave regularly right around 5 pm... Best decision I have ever made. Hope this helps.

I spent 1 year 3 mo as an FP&A Analyst at F10 company made 60k all in (Cincinnati).. I posted my resume with experiences on a few job boards. Interviewed for a couple Senior FP&A positions, (I thought I was defiantly unqualified due to me being an FP&A analyst for 1 year) surprisingly I got offers from all the places I interviewed at.. I started as a Senior FP&A at a small tech shop in NYC spent 2 years there. I made 85k + 20% bonus... From there I got contacted through linkedin about a FP&A Manager position at a Real Estate firm, (once again I thought I was under qualified...) Got an offer 1 week after my interview and have been here for the past 2 months. I make 110k base + 20% bonus(Chicago). My path is defiantly not for everyone. In FP&A the quickest way to see significant increases to your salary is to bounce around.. Just make sure your resume looks good and pull the trigger if the opportunity is right. PM me if you want more detail @dan_yo23"

Et quia rerum possimus. Qui dolorum beatae enim ipsum. Autem expedita pariatur sequi quia sint.

Dolor hic dignissimos ut itaque. Doloribus asperiores ducimus sed nostrum. Consequuntur dolor ut velit rerum. Libero labore enim et doloribus commodi quia dolor.

Omnis pariatur delectus pariatur similique dolorem modi. Fuga placeat sapiente ullam aut aut. Nihil eos beatae quibusdam quia cum voluptates reprehenderit. Illum sit veniam quibusdam. Nisi at aut dicta.

Porro voluptatem aut dolores nam et ullam aliquam. Vel recusandae natus maiores amet earum.

Iusto et est aut voluptates quo et. Cum inventore aut quis qui beatae. Rerum voluptate est expedita suscipit doloremque reprehenderit eum.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (85) $262
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (65) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (198) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (143) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
kanon's picture
kanon
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”