Senior ibd analyst with a star studded CV, apart from an undergrad 3.15GPA / high 2:2 degree(mitigating medical circumstances)?

Hi everyone,

I graduated from Warwick university 4 years ago, which is a top target and highly competitive uni for Wall Street, for my undergraduate with a high 2:2 degree (converted to 3.15 GPA). I suffered from debilitating social anxiety and mental health illness and considered taking my life a few times during my degree, which affected my degree results. However, a Big-4 accounting firm took a gamble on me and I joined as a graduate associate at just 20 years old, in London, straight after graduation.

I became one of their best graduate recruits in UK and completed both my ACA(coveted chartered accountancy professional degree) and CFA in less than three years. Became one of their best and youngest, if not the youngest Assistant Manager and look forward to my upcoming promotion to manager level next year. All this happened in 4 years and I am just 24. I am confident about scoring very high marks in GMAT and have excellent credentials from high-school to professional career, including extracurriculars, apart from my low undergrad GPA.

DO YOU GUYS THINK I CAN GET RECRUITED AS A SENIOR IBD ANALYST AT A BB INVESTMENT BANK OR SECURE A M7 MBA PROGRAMME, CITING MY LOW UNDERGRAD GPA DUE TO MEDICAL/MITIGATING CIRCUMSTANCES?

Unfortunately its one specific year in university that brought my grades down (although with severe medical circumstances), I skipped a grade once and started uni at 17 and also played sports at a national level along with highest merit in my professional degree while in Corporate finance. But most of those become irrelevant as you get older.

TBH, big 4 auditing would not be considered "very fruitful experience" in the job market or application to business schools. It's usually more of a jumping board to start at junior level in the finance industry. You have a reasonable explanation for your GPA and it can totally be remedied by GMAT. I'm sure you've done some fabulous work, but I'd suggest to stay low and be humble for now.

As someone who's also struggled with mental health, I would completely omit that part when as you are applying and networking. Not everyone understands what it's like and some people will certainly ding you for being mentally "weak", even though you are probably stronger than most for having successfully overcome those issues.

The fact is that if you struggled with it once, you are more likely to struggle with it again... hence the omission. Just say you had medical problems or something.

Agree with this completely. If you admit mental health issues outright, then the reaction will realistically be that IB is harder/more stressful than college and people will wonder if you will be okay on the job. "Medical problems/health issues that are now resolved" is the correct phrasing and legally they can't ask you about specifics.

Being a manager at 24/25 is a nice feat. I personally would wait for that promotion and try to head into IB, at that point if you have a good GMAT score/target school you could by then omit your GPA from resume. Bschool will still want your GPA, so MBA business schools">M7 is not likely without some more job experience. It's hard to break into IB after several years in accounting, and you'll need a good reason for the switch - might have to start in a MM and then lateral to BB as an analyst, but doable.

Array

Thanks for the advice but with all the banks advertising their diversity networks and mental health awareness programmes, dont you think they could give me a decent shot? But I recovered from mental health illness and again its the GPA that I was most worried about, I work in Corporate Finance so was hoping to make a shift to a MM boutique or BB before going for a MBA business schools">M7 MBA.

Dolores modi dolorem velit ratione dicta odio. Doloremque sit doloribus possimus recusandae ab perferendis quod. Mollitia ea accusamus quis dolores molestiae. Autem sunt omnis iusto veniam et error atque. Nemo iusto cupiditate aliquam.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”