Series 86/87

Passed 7/63 no problem with minimal studying. Took the 86 and failed by a few points despite studying extensively (read book, did all practice questions 2x). Complete and utter disconnect between the worthless STC materials and the actual test.

Any help/tips would be appreciated. I don't want to fail this a 2nd time.

First, there was the STC materials. Blatant typos, differing formulas (multiple questions had interest coverage as EBITDA/Int. expense and the next question they'd have it as EBIT/Int expense). Questions tended to be way shorter and easier on the practice exams. The actual test questions were longer, with more steps. Multiple questions had material that weren't even in the STC book (although I'm hoping these were their "experimental" questions).

Multiple formulas were barely used (STC covered PEG/PE into the ground, only saw ~2 or 3 questions referring to them). Decent amount of subjective questions too.

Most Helpful

I agree 100% on the STC materials. It's amazing how bad they are. Inconsistent across questions as you said. In the book, they list ROA at NI/avg asset. The very next page, they give you a full set of financials, and they want you to use EBIT/avg asset for ROA.

My favorite was two back to back questions for EV/EBITDA for four separate companies (1,2,3,4). First question they ask you which one is the most over-valued (all are ~12x, so you have to do the math). Correct answer choice is "D", none of them were over valued. Exact next question, do the same thing but which one is undervalued the most; "D" again is none are under valued. But "D" isn't the correct answer on the second question. Boggles my mind how they can't even follow the rules they create.

Corrupti minus error modi commodi dolore optio. Qui nihil libero vero sed cum ipsam est.

Aut in consequatur incidunt saepe et repellendus. Et quia cumque doloribus praesentium commodi ipsa officiis. Dolorem error expedita nobis.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (199) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”