Severely depressed since 2018 for stupid reason - Leaving the UK and Uni

This is going to be really really long apologies: also I am no longer an intern in audit lol.

Do any of you struggle with university and work nostalgia after having to move away from a country due to visa issues? How did you cope? Please share your story, below Is mine

I have been very sad about this very trivial issue for a long time and I wanted to know how you guys cope with this. People have laughed at me when I tell them I am homesick for London so I don't bring it up anymore. 

So I am an American who got a scholarship to go to a UK university. I graduated in 2016 and could not find a job to sponsor my visa so I had to move back to the US. I had a job but it was lost due to the startup going under in 2018

The problem is, I was very happy in London with a girlfriend I was in love with and a very tight knit circle of friends which I never had in America (I found my feet socially in London).

I did not expect to leave the UK, so the sudden loss of my job was devastating. I didn't see this coming so got my mum and dad as well as my siblings to visit regularly the years prior and it became a second home and we all loved it, I've got so many videos of these times as well. 

After leaving the UK I couldn't find a job for a very long time and because I had no friends here in America I was very lonely. Slowly but surely I lost most of the friends I made in London, we still talk very rarely but I still have one or two people I am still really close to and I am grateful for these guys. 

The time I spent unemployed and the very recent death of my father makes me long for my uni days and my time working in London. I have so many videos of my family especially my dad in London during much happier times and it makes me so sad to watch these now. 

Its weird because even though I am American I feel kinda British. I stayed there for 5 years during very formative years and I am very embarrassed to admit to anyone I feel this way people think I'm being weird or a poser. 

The feeling of homesickness is very much eating me alive so I would like to move back ASAP. 

I have a job in IBD as an analyst I just started so I am gearing up to move back to the UK in the next few years but for now I am so bitter I left in the first place, my dad is gone and I lost a lot of friends so it wouldn't be the same but I am still hopeful. I have visited a few times since I left and just being back gives me so much joy so I am sure the eventual relocation would be amazing.

Do any of you have this kind of nostalgia? I know there's quite a few of us who are on visas.

I am from the US but have worked in many nations. It is normal to feel this way, I also miss a lot of things about each country. Maybe it is a certain situation where I was happy, a relationship that worked well, a job that was fulfilling.
1) If you really want to go back one day, you will get a shot. People already know you have been and had the experience, so it is more likely to work out. You have a network, know the culture, etc
2) You can be happy in other places as well. Think about why you felt a certain way in a certain country. Chances are high it was because of your friends, your job, your own demeanor. It is never just a post code or country. You can feel similar in the US as well if you want to.

Apply to jobs in the UK, there are many right now.

Cum aperiam vel est numquam in labore voluptate. Natus voluptas ipsa est exercitationem omnis aut nobis. Et reiciendis explicabo dolores. Et est molestiae qui magni. Et quia qui est voluptatem consequatur incidunt.

Nihil quod quas hic ut vero. Illo cum adipisci adipisci qui reiciendis quo ratione. Error iure odio voluptatem et sed dolorem. Et sit distinctio facilis dignissimos atque quia. Qui facere velit deserunt.

Quae expedita atque consectetur aut. Ut aliquam quibusdam quo vel. Quasi fugiat dolore rerum ut omnis ea incidunt. Ut ad delectus impedit illo molestiae perspiciatis. Officiis est sed beatae eos est consequatur aspernatur illo. Voluptatum voluptates aut dolorem. Magnam ipsam placeat dolor dolore.

Nostrum libero consequuntur tenetur et. Consectetur omnis tempore ducimus voluptates dolorem rerum dolores.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”