Should I live with my girlfriend after graduation?

> Both seniors, working in NYC FT next year
> She wants to, I’m leaning against it
> If we are still dating at the time we move in (would assign a high probability to this) will have been ~2 yrs together (so ~14 months as of now)

In particular, would be helpful to hear anecdotes from those who were faced with this decision, what they decided, and in hindsight any reflections they have. I have SBs.

Why are you leaning against it? You'll have been together for two years. If you consider this a serious relationship, you will have to do this at some point. If you don't consider this a serious relationship, then don't do it, and you should probably also break up and stop wasting both of your time. 

From a financial perspective, it's certainly helpful to be able to split rent. It's also a good litmus test for whether you two will survive long-term. 

EDIT: Neglected that this is right out of college. Spend a year on your own or with dude roommates. Both are experiences that everyone needs to have.

Would only recommend if you know your relationship is extremely healthy. If you are splitting costs then you can obviously save a lot of money. But also consider what could happen if either of you do something stupid and now you're stuck in a lease together. Living with a group of your guy friends can be a lot of fun too tho

IMO give it at least a year in having a separate place. I think 14 months is way too soon (I get that you’d be together for 2 years by then but you’re kind of making the decisions right now). I haven’t been in your situation but I plan to live with my gf two years from now but she will be in Boston while I be in NYC. By then we would be dating for 4 years which I think is more of a solidified time frame. Ultimately it’s going to be up to you. If you think she is the one and dont have any problems then go for it. If not then consider at least a year of not living together.

So a few logistical thoughts before giving my anecdotal thoughts. 

lease signing in NYC is generally a month before move in date. That is the sweetspot and that is when you would normally sign your lease for the year. So given FT training is in July, you would ideally start looking for places in May/June as most places won't let you sign a lease for a July move in date more than a month out. .  generally "high probability" is not a good measure to go by. In those whole process just don't think about that. The apartment search is something you will undertake 6 months from now this really is not an issue for now. 

I have three cases I can specifically bring up mine and two of my friends. One of my buddies has been with his girlfriend since freshman year (5 years) and they live together postgrad now in UES. I have been with my gf for 4 years and moved in post grad. We both knew one year in that these were the girls they wanted to marry and so had zero doubts after the one year mark that we would stick with these girls wherever they go which is what made our decisions a lot easier. 

My other buddy has been dating his gf for 2 years  and is starting to have these discussions and the biggest issue they both face is they are really confronting the reality of their relationship. His GF works in NYC now but would eventually like to move back to the country she is from (France/Holland/Belgium) while he has no interest in doing so. They are working through it, but that is what is causing both of them to hesitate on this move. 

If you do not 100% see yourself marrying this girl, would not recommend post grad. I would talk to her and see if this is something you all can defer one year out. College relationships are very different from real life ones. Secondly, it is fun having the nyc experience with your friends and I highly regret missing out on that (in the sense of having the bro-cave, not in that I regret my girlfriend). 

But most importantly, this is a decision for six months out when you actually have to start working. So I would wait till then before giving any concrete decisions. 

Either get married and live with her or get your own place. 

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." - Bruce Lee

You can have sex at 2 places, but trust me a clean break is a great out to have in a relationship if you want out. 

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." - Bruce Lee

Funniest

I do appreciate other your other posts "Where is the best place to hook up on campus?", "My Biological Urges Cannot be Restrained"  and "What do you look for in a hoe?" Furthermore, you exhibit leadership by maintaining r/ChicagoPrinciples. I hope that's on your resume.

If you truly care about her and love her more than anything, I don’t see why you don’t wanna move in. It’s gonna be tough after college and those types of relationships always seem to end. Not saying it’s gonna happen to you but if you don’t step up it will probably happen.

I understand and agree with your point in the fact that eventually, if both are serious they will have to move in together. At the same time, you make a point that 

It's gonna be tough after college and those types of relationships always seem to end.

Which is what I in general think happens to people. One problem here, and something I do think you should consider, is the fact that the relationship could end immediately after moving in. This happened to two very close friends of mine who moved to NYC. Similar situation, guy didn't want to move in together and gal did. Gal quickly finds out she doesn't like rooming with the guy and gal breaks up with him. 

Even if you are close and serious, don't discount that moving in could be the nail in the coffin that you are trying to avoid by moving in.

That said TheEmperor, if you really love this girl, and think that marriage may be on the table, I'd say go for it, but with caution. Relationships in real life are challenging and there will be unforeseen challenges and sacrifices that both of you are going to have to make to stay together. I wish you the best with the situation!

I don’t really believe in blind love as you’ve described. I love her more than any previous woman and have no reason to end things, but I still think it’s valid to want to spend my first year out of college living with some friends.

There is not a lot of logic here. If he loves her he should marry her before they move in or live separately.

I can’t begin to explain how many problems arise when you’re hooking up with your roommate. You don’t want to do it. 

Most Helpful

Pizz

Can you elaborate further? 

If any issues arise you have no safe space. You both have to sleep next to each other. Having space and separate apartments give some breathing room. 

I’ve been through a breakup in a shared place and it was living hell. You’re going through a breakup and you don’t know if you should stay and get another roommate or both move out. It’s a logistical nightmare.

Also, I have been in a situation where I hooked up with a roommate in NY and then wouldn’t hook up with her anymore and she got pissed and jealous to the point where she called 911 and made up a story to the cops. In NY when there is a domestic issue, the male automatically goes to jail, so I was sitting in jail with a restraining order that said I couldn’t return to my own place. I had to move out on a court appointed time and attend hearings for 6 months because this girl made up a story saying I harassed her and called her 6x day when the phone records said I called her 0 times per day. It took over 6 months for the prosecution to drop the case - she just wanted to see me suffer.

Trust me, there are a million things that could go wrong and you just need your safe space until you determine that this girl is the one. There is a different type of crazy that arises when you live with a girl and things go wrong. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. And the worst thing about a woman scorned is maybe you didn’t even do anything. Maybe it’s all in her head - but you have to deal with it.

That day I went to jail, I got out 30hrs later at 4am with my ID and 10 bucks on me, had no credit cards and no phone. I was homeless. There was a restraining order that said I couldn’t go back to my place and I found out later this girl stole the cash out of my wallet, stole my skateboard, and put all my paintings on the roof. My neighbor later told me and said she saw them up there and took them down for me.

Jail is downtown in NYC and I had to get to 55th St. to buzz on possibly the only person who could take me in. Food in jail was terrible - nearly inedible stale white bread and American cheese, but they did have milk so I asked other people for their milk (group cell). I was hungry still though when I left and spent $2 on an Orange and had $8 to my name. I thought about buying a Subway ticket, but if my friend didn’t answer the door at 4:30am, I’d be screwed. I decided to walk the whole way and was starving and exhausted when I got to his doorstep. He luckily heard the buzzer and let me in and that was one of the hardest days of my life. I was just stranded and alone - it was terrible. 

My neighbor met up with me later that day to get me my phone and wallet. I had like $120 in there that my roommate stole while I was in jail. How much more scumbag can you get…

In short: depends on your girlfriend's personality. Have you lived with her before? How was that? Living together would be different than dating, and living together while working is different from living together during college. If one of you has a busier schedule than the other, it would cause an issue for both. I would go for it if you had a positive experience living with her during college before + her hours are similar to yours. It's an absolute no if she is needy + works for 40 hours AND you work 100 hours. It's suicidal for both your life and the relationship. NO.

Trust me, breaking up when you live together is actual hell. You need a clean break if things go south.

living together in real life - aka with actual jobs and responsibility and no dining hall - is miles away from what you're used to in college, ESPECIALLY in NYC. Both of you need to settle in to what real post-collegiate life is like before taking the next step. Sign a 1 year lease with roommates in close proximity to each other and figure out who the hell you are and what you want. That'll let you keep the relationship without the double strain of 1st year post-grad life and living together for the first time. 

ESPECIALLY in NYC

Yeah NYC is already a compression chamber in many ways, but unlike having a 3BR house in FL and sleeping in the guest bedroom in a bad fight, in NYC you’re usually in each other’s bubble just walking around the place and it amplifies good and bad emotions.

I've had friends think about this as well and I don't think you should. Your early 20s can be some of the best years of your life...living with friends, going out in the city, having money etc. When you are settled down and married I think you would regret not giving yourself at the very least a year or two on independent adult life to enjoy. Additionally, people change as they transition from college and begin their adult life. I think it would be wise to at least give it a year and then you can always re-evaluate. As others have said, try and live close by and make a point to see each other often, but I wouldn't jump into it so early on.

I'm going to give the pragmatic answer here. Moving in with her is something that you want to do, but don't need to do, and therefore, should not do.

Married my college sweetheart. Going on 10 years. We lived apart after college for 2 years and it was the right thing. Gotta figure out your own pattern of life and what you like, it takes a few years, before you try and merge it with someone else's. It also helped us build a solid friend network which would have been hard to do as "the old married at 20 couple" in a new city. By the time we merged apartments, we had a great crew of friends that made it feel fun and got to continue to also be our own people separate from each other, even under the same roof.

just move in together and save money and if you feel like breaking up then move into another place or she might even leave. Not that complicated tbh

But if your leaning against it, you probably should consider what that actually means about how you view the relationship, but that's another topic so I'll leave that for you to figure out...

You are young and entering a new stage in life. There will be a ton of change. It will lead to drama. Find out who you are in the real world. When you live together you will get complaints about when you come home late, drunk or want to sleep in. You will be forced to do a bunch of stuff like craft or farmers markets that a 22yo male shouldn’t be forced to do all of the time. You will get much more pressure for marriage. You will also likely be codependent and not develop a group of professional same age friends because she will always want you to do her thing. I have watched this play out so many times. 

Tempora illo ut eius reprehenderit ducimus. Praesentium voluptas aspernatur voluptatem magni occaecati deleniti. Aperiam non reiciendis minima dolore repudiandae officiis itaque. Accusamus qui nam voluptas natus deserunt id. Voluptatem aut facere velit quia. Sint sunt et laboriosam sed aut sint nemo.

Ratione in recusandae et et nobis. Dolores atque saepe tempore sunt dolor dolor. Unde non aliquam tempore officia dolore. Fugiat illum laboriosam rem et. Quia nihil velit suscipit et sapiente aut aut. Ea vel nulla et dolore.

Aut qui itaque sunt sed hic quod voluptas. Et cumque et quos aut. Sunt recusandae voluptates dolor dignissimos eaque autem.

Distinctio id et ab culpa. Quod quia laboriosam numquam sit. Est architecto qui enim voluptatum optio et deserunt. Dolor suscipit sed occaecati amet fugiat vel velit.

Laudantium quam delectus similique voluptatem assumenda facere. Culpa aut illum numquam ut. Non qui unde odit qui nulla sit. Rerum commodi laboriosam eos rerum culpa iste sint.

Aut ut et accusamus est praesentium. Molestiae et repellendus sequi reprehenderit ut dolores. Quo et neque facilis sint minus. Non officiis dolores cumque. Architecto veritatis cumque sit rerum suscipit aut numquam. Et neque nisi odio iure sunt neque. Voluptatibus doloribus maiores explicabo pariatur.

Voluptas qui molestias adipisci rerum voluptatem. Dolores perferendis deleniti quisquam repudiandae optio eos asperiores. Expedita nihil voluptatem eaque et aut ipsum. Labore quia quos omnis qui distinctio aliquam saepe illo. Quasi sint quam aut distinctio dicta in.

Aut voluptatem saepe sunt vel corporis. Sed maxime itaque facere impedit delectus. Accusantium a voluptas eum doloremque mollitia beatae aut. Rerum velit id similique rerum debitis. Facere et excepturi odit consequatur exercitationem.

Aut delectus sed in repudiandae animi. Aut doloremque qui velit quibusdam a tempora. Sint rerum quia dolores et repudiandae et explicabo. Harum commodi aspernatur molestiae dolor.

Odio facilis recusandae qui sed consequatur. Dolorem tempore beatae facere non exercitationem eaque reprehenderit. Earum qui temporibus possimus dolores numquam.

Aliquam pariatur libero incidunt illum dolores quis eaque. Libero accusamus qui ullam eligendi aliquid quod saepe. Ipsam et non impedit asperiores voluptate voluptatibus ad. Consequuntur quisquam suscipit in quae non.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”