Should I retake the GMAT if I got a 710?

Hi there! I'm a college senior trying to decide if I should retake the GMAT or not. After studying for four months, I received a 710 (V41, Q45). I will be working in investment banking for two years and have a 3.9 GPA from a top-20 private university in Economics and Political Science. Is it necessary that I take the GMAT again if I intend to apply in 2-3 years after graduation to the top 10 business schools (my ideal school would be Columbia)? Does a 710 still give me a shot or do I need to get it up to remain competitive? I really do not want to have to take it again to just get my score up 10 points and should also note that I have spent so much time studying for the GMAT already and am not even sure if I can get my score up.

I would advise you to retake at some point, albeit not necessarily right away. If what you say is true and you have studied for so long you've probably hit the point where studying even more will hardly (if at all ) lead to a higher score. The average scores have been on the rise lately and I believe they will continue to do so. You should probably aim to get 730/740+ in your future attempts.

710 is a solid foundation though, in case you do retake the exam it will be a strong sign of striving for excellence.

Columbia is known as a GMAT-whore, and it's true that GMATs have been steadily rising, so both those count against you.

But with your profile, if you apply Early Decision to Columbia, you'll probably get in.

The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd.

Why not? Spend another month or so on it and take it, if you do better keep the score if not throw it out and boom you're done. That way in the future if things don't turn out exactly as planned you won't be upset for not spending the extra month. If your score doesn't improve on this next time I would just cancel the score and call it a day a 710 isn't terrible you have an incredible GPA to balance that out.

Explicabo ut molestias minus dicta distinctio quos minus. Similique alias qui rerum voluptatibus nulla. Quasi quas at architecto. Repellendus aliquid sed est debitis. Quisquam repudiandae omnis sit sequi.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”