So I bit the bullet... CFA® June 2011

I know this topic is a horse that has been beaten time and again, however I just decided to bite the bullet and register for the June CFA® exam.

I mulled over the many posts concerning the pros/cons, etc... regarding the exam, but in the end it seemed that it was just something worthwhile in my current situation. With my employer offering reimbursement as well as zero out of pocket expenses for the Kaplan course, I figured I might as well take advantage of the opportunity and buckle down back to study mode.

In my current situation, I am in the fortunate position to only be confined at the office till 10pm if I should so choose. However, I'm also aware that it is during these early years beginning my career where I should be burning the midnight oil to achieve and be in the position I desire 10-15 years from now. The opportunity cost of working only a 50 hour work week is far too great.

With that understanding, I figure I should devote the extra time I have to further my understanding in the industry in which I wish to establish my career. With still wanting to gain an additional 3 years of work experience before contemplating an MBA, I believe the CFA® will provide me with a structure and focus to buckle down and enhance my understanding of the financial markets.

Many have stated that the 300+ hours spent studying the exam could be much better utilized by networking or other means, but I'm involved with several outside organizations and I believed why not do both? Hopefully my committing to the exam will convey my seriousness in pursuing this industry when networking and will prove to be just another component in my conversations.

And besides, I always do enjoy a challenge.

Just felt like talking about my recent decisions, so thought I'd post on the boards.

Thanks for reading,

I have been contemplating it as well. Was a diehard opponent of the CFA, an will always be, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't give it a try. Thats awesome that your taking advantage of the zero cost for the program and the course. Many don't get that, as i know my employer doesn't do that. Good luck to you, my friend

Level 1 is very manageable, especially if you studied finance in college (I didn't), and the 300 hours is probably an over-estimation.

There have been many great comebacks throughout history. Jesus was dead but then came back as an all-powerful God-Zombie.

Kenny_Powers_CFA:
Level 1 is very manageable, especially if you studied finance in college (I didn't), and the 300 hours is probably an over-estimation.

For someone that took finance classes at a non-target and did extremely well (straight A's), how long do you think it will take for Level 1? I realize its different for everyone and under different circumstances, but I'm just curious as to what a ball park figure would be. Love the show by the way.

Chronic Alphabator:
For someone that took finance classes at a non-target and did extremely well (straight A's), how long do you think it will take for Level 1? I realize its different for everyone and under different circumstances, but I'm just curious as to what a ball park figure would be. Love the show by the way.

Tough to put it in hour terms and like Hayek says above, I don't mean to say you should underestimate it-just that it's not exactly climbing Mount Everest. Besides finance there's also ethics/compliance, accounting, econ, and stats to consider. Once you start going over the material you'll know what you have a handle on and what you don't. The real challenge is the volume of material rather than the depth or complexity of each section/topic.

One other tip: make sure you nail the ethics and compliance section because it's really just simple memorization and those are "easy points."

There have been many great comebacks throughout history. Jesus was dead but then came back as an all-powerful God-Zombie.

Chronic Alphabator:
Kenny_Powers_CFA:

Obviously I don't know your study habits, etc. but you should be fine with ~200 hours? I studied a lot more and passed L1 in June, but I didn't want to take any chances. Plus, there are lots of random trivial pursuit type questions that are definitional that are tricky part. If you studied Finance undergrad and did well, you should do fine on the main subjects.

Few points of advice: study, study, study Ethics! It is 15% of the exam (all levels I believe) and should be pretty easy points. Also, the last month or so are when it all really comes together. I took the last week off and really drilled home all the subjects.

I just started studying for L2 last week. I'm going to slowly work my way into the material. I am fortunate enough with my job that I have pretty decent hours which allows me plenty of time to study.

If you have any L1 questions please feel free to PM me. Good luck!

Chronic Alphabator:
Kenny_Powers_CFA:

Just to reiterate some points above and add some of my own:

As for my point of reference, I was in a similar sitiuation, straight A's from a state school finance program, passed L1 & L2 on my first attempts and now contemplating whether going for L3 is worth the time. For L1 I don't think I studied for 250 hours, but probably 150-200 is a good estimate.

• Do not underestimate Ethics. It's a good chunk of the exam and the CFAI says it can be the deciding factor if you are borderline pass/fail on the other topics. Plus, it's not simple "right or wrong", it's much more complicated and annoying than that. I saved Ethics for last so it would be freshest in my mind around exam time.
  • You will still have to put in a decent number of hours for the other topics that you likely covered in an undergrad business program, but probably forgot like the finer points of quant and econ
  • There are many people who have passed using only Schweser, but you probably should rely on the CFAI books for the majority of your study (I used Schweser mostly just for Quant and Econ since the readings are so long, but a small percentage of the test)
  • Weight your time in accordance with the weights of the topics (i.e., make sure you know Financing Reporting and Ethics)
  • Buy the Schweser practice exam books and do them during the month prior to the exam. These (esp. Book 2) really helped me find the weak points or points I didn't recall studying 5 months ago.

Best Response

[quote=dec-jun-jun]Good luck, I think a lot more people will be pursuing both the CFA and the MBA in future years, the CFA Institute is already partnering with a number of universities, including NYU, Fordham, Ivey and Queens

http://www.cfainstitute.org/partners/university/Pages/cfa_program_unive…]

Just to piggy back on this, there are already a bunch of MSF programs and grad schools that partner with the CFA Institute so if you went to one of those schools for UG, you might be able to get review materials on the cheap

If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses - Henry Ford

Good to see a post on CFA here. I am planning to take level 3 in June,2011. But, it is so hard to find time to focus on the exam preparations. If there are more people of this site who are taking level 3 then we might start a level 3 discussion here and if some of you are around NYC then we might start our own study group.

It's a lot of work, even if you have a strong finance background. There is an intense amount of minutiae on the exam. Don't underestimate the L1.

Definitely focus on doing lots of practice problems and study consistently, every day, even if it's only for 30 minutes during lunch at work.

L1 is just about studying - start now, 5 hours per week, gradually work your way up to 10 hours per week, and if you can a solid 30 hours for the last 3-4 weeks you should do just fine.

L1 is doable, just need to study lots and enjoy finance. You can just Scheweser it. L2 is when the real fun begins...

I wussed out on L2 last year, and may again this year.....its a major major sacrifice to your time and energy...and my firm only pays if you pass.

But 3 of my friends banking/pe analysts all passed L2, but it sucked ass. One guy got home from all-niters at 2am and hit up CFA till 5am, got 3 hours of sleep. Repeat. Sure was motivated I guess to pass.

I am studying for L1 right now, taking the Dec exam,

I am slightly behind in my schedule, just finishing up hte ethics and should move on to mocks by the end the weeks.

I put in 140 hrs so far, 140 solid hours. I am an econ major so the econ part is pretty easy, its very basic ad/as stuff.

I had some trouble with accounting/financial statement analysis, that was the most time consuming for me.

Remember some parts carry more weight than others, for example,alternative investment is only like 5% of the questions, so don't sweat it too much

I am terrible about studying, and I was working in consulting at a Big 4 (25 vacation days a year) so for levels 1 and 2 I took two weeks of vacation before the test and crammed. 14 days X 12 hours a day got me there, although I barely passed Level 2.

For Level 3 in June 2011 I'm going to try to study more in advance, but will try to take a week off before the exam.

I'd say if you have a background in accounting and finance, 150 hours is probably the minimum you want to study for Levels 1 and 2.

I'm taking the L1 in a few weeks. As others have stated here, it's not especially difficult information, but more of a huge quantity. There are many areas that you may have glossed over that they really hit hard in the curriculum that you may find annoying. My personal pet peeves is ratio analysis (fuck you dupont analysis), and co-variance calculations. I greatly dislike tests that require you to remember unintuitive and complex formulas that you will never not have access to in practice. I guess that's part of making it difficult to give it value I suppose!

I apologize, this has probably been covered before but I find myself short on time at the moment. I haven't taken an econ class since high school (placed out by taking AP exams) and have access to free study materials, but they are older (Schweser 2008, 2009). Can I use an older study guide and look up the changes on the website, or am I better off spending the extra money on a brand new guide?

Mollitia molestiae nihil ut omnis laborum unde a. Sed cum autem quis voluptates.

Accusamus tempora quia animi. Sed velit atque quaerat et. Animi sed iure aut quis. Qui ipsum eveniet est commodi.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”