So UBS officially cut 40/95 1st year analysts

So my friend was one of the ones that got cut and he said so was 50% of the class. 2 days before bonus.

Seriously, is it that bad out there still, or this has become the new norm in industry regardless of the economy etc.

Do I really have to say it?

UBS Sucks.

And this is by far... the most dickish move since that thing where that Bernie guy took a few people's money.

I hate victims who respect their executioners

BlackHat:
Do I really have to say it?

UBS Sucks.

And this is by far... the most dickish move since that thing where that Bernie guy took a few people's money.

BOOOOYAAAAA SKEEEEEDADDDDYYYYYYYYYY

"Well, you know, I was a human being before I became a businessman." -- George Soros

Without UBS bashing, if someone could give a true answer why they did this? Poor deal flow? Over-hiring? Bad forecast? Current economy? All 4?

Just hope this doesn't spread and there's crazy industry wide layoffs again. 50% of an Analyst class seems so drastic.

UBS sucks and IB revenues are getting hammered across the board, this shouldn't be a suprise to anybody as cutting jobs and dicing wages is an easy accouting trick to meet EPS expectations and a favorite strategy of financials when the sector is anemic overall.

"Well, you know, I was a human being before I became a businessman." -- George Soros

SECfinance:
Wow. Would not go to UBS for FT.

Really, if UBS was your only offer you wouldn't go there? I mean it's a shitty situation and sucks for those guys, but getting canned 2 days before bonuses is exponentially better than not getting an IB spot period, imho.

"You stop being an asshole when it sucks to be you." -IlliniProgrammer "Your grammar made me wish I'd been aborted." -happypantsmcgee

Really, if UBS was your only offer you wouldn't go there? I mean it's a shitty situation and sucks for those guys, but getting canned 2 days before bonuses is exponentially better than not getting an IB spot period, imho.

Completely disagree. Working that much for a year, expecting to finish out a 2 year program with 2 years of bonuses and make the jump to something else and instead being unexpectedly let go before even a single bonus is paid out is worse than not getting into banking at all the way I see it. A whole year down the drain with not much to show for it.

moneymogul:

Completely disagree. Working that much for a year, expecting to finish out a 2 year program with 2 years of bonuses and make the jump to something else and instead being unexpectedly let go before even a single bonus is paid out is worse than not getting into banking at all the way I see it. A whole year down the drain with not much to show for it.

What?! Speak for yourself man, lots of guys would kill just to have the experience on their resume, myself included. It's a terrible, shitty situation, but they're still waaayy better off than the guys that didn't break in and I'm not just talking about compensation. They've got a year at a BB bank, a decent skill set, some transactional work, all the polish that comes with 8000x turns and markups on their work, and probably a decent network of peers to reach out to. Let's see what the Corp Fin. F500 guys have hmm... still less pay, 'free time' to watch re-runs of 'Tosh' and go to the bar, barely functional Excel skills, a barely intact IB network. These guys got jerked around and that sucks, but they'll land on their feet somewhere else. Not the same for the majority of the F500 guys who are 'stuck' till an MBA upgrade.

'Before you enter... be willing to pay the price'

I see moneymogul's point - a lot of these analysts had hopes of getting at least MM buyside jobs or other competitive positions they would not have ordinarily been able to get without the 2 year analyst stint under their belts. For a lot of them, those dreams are out the window and they might be forced to settle for positions that they could have had right out of college to begin with. Yes, the 1 year in banking provides valuable experience but most people want something to show for it to make the long hours, etc worth it.

Best Response

I posted the DB leak about this the other day...and it said 30 analysts. Some have said less, some more. Regardless, UBS' problems were well known long before this. Hell, the WSJ did an above the fold story on the mass exodus from their IB product and coverage groups earlier this year. Comes down to: banks are having some issues, European banks are having worse issues, and UBS is the worst of those having worse issues.

Things didnt look too great at the end of last summer and FT associate recruiting was still really strong out of my MBA program. We'll know soon enough if that carries over.

these threads should serve as a reminder to all you prospective fucks out there that "BB or bust" mentality is a retarded way to approach your first job. all of you who say you would take this FT have obviously not had enough ib weeks, if any, to be throwing that sort of asinine comment around. to be cut two days before - let's be honest - the ONLY thing you worked for, add to that your career ambitions getting slaughtered, all in one of the worst job search environments in history is absolutely not worth it.

cut the bullshit about the "experience", everyone works for the $. don't lie to yourself and say you would take this job for all-in 40-50k.

i would have taken any fp&a, f500, am role over a bumblefuck place like UBS IBD. most definitely mm, most definitely boutique ib. if you're in the business you'll realize very few names carry value. ubs, and most bb's, do not. not in the way you think.

Hic minima et nisi vel ut alias odit ex. Dolorem voluptatem quidem ipsum officia. Aperiam harum atque aspernatur. Et quibusdam aliquam ducimus qui soluta quam. Natus perferendis deserunt quia dolores nam facere. Tempora qui ipsa qui molestiae a qui.

Itaque quo voluptates fugiat cum. Id sed ipsum voluptatem et sint. Officia velit aut voluptatem dignissimos. Ea consequatur cum laborum autem. Consequatur omnis quam aut. In harum sequi quod et consequuntur occaecati consequatur.

Ratione iste voluptas blanditiis aut aut. Qui nihil quas doloremque odit. Et maxime nostrum et doloremque aperiam. Laudantium nemo omnis aspernatur illo mollitia. Sunt rerum expedita qui cum et dolor eveniet est. Expedita velit et et itaque doloribus reiciendis. Aliquam eos repellat minus.

Velit suscipit rerum et ducimus. Occaecati quia odio eveniet sint consequuntur inventore at. Quae ut aperiam fuga animi dolores id expedita. Autem libero et eaque vero fugiat.

Unde quasi alias culpa veniam est sit aut. Nulla amet nostrum consequuntur in numquam accusamus aut.

Corrupti eum dicta quia nobis. Iusto alias est fugit. Et est autem sunt ipsa sint quia assumenda.

Aperiam debitis et laboriosam consequuntur sed. Quidem occaecati est numquam sequi id eum fugiat. Fuga rem ullam omnis eveniet repellat ut. Ipsa sed molestiae quaerat in provident unde omnis quo. Pariatur numquam architecto aliquam placeat minima temporibus ab magnam. Perferendis magnam nisi ut ab tempore veritatis.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”