Sophomore at Target, thinking about 2019 PE SA

Hey wso. I've been getting more and more interested in PE as a path for after college, and have been reading from other threads that FT PE recruiting straight out of undergrad is really tough. would the best option be SA after junior summer then? I know bain capital is friendly toward consultants -- what other firms should i be targeting? i know its gonna be difficult but i've heard of a bunch of people getting SA/FT MF PE out of undergrad so i guess i'd like some more info

Bain would fit you the most but it's not realistic to rely on just one firm. You can try the other funds that recruit SAs at Penn, like SLP/BX/Apollo but most of the SAs I knew at those shops had some hardcore finance experience/knowledge for their age, and most had done like 1-2 SAs at decent banking groups.

If you're at Strategy& soph summer, then I think a doable route to FT PE would be to do a top banking group junior summer and then leverage that for FT PE. But still, aim for a MF next summer, there's no harm aiming high - you never know what could happen. Just don't slack on your IBD apps because that is the most likely way this is happening.

I would say unless if you intern at GS IB as a sophomore, your chances will be really low and you'd have to network. Keep in mind 90% of GS IB sophomore intern will possibly recruit for buy-side summer opportunities too.

I'd focus on recruiting everywhere but be realistic and understand that getting into IB in a top group is difficult in itself and that is what you should be focused on if you want PE to be a possibility

I'd imagine that you would interview well at Vista Equity Partners--they focus pretty heavily on operational improvements and recruit from Penn for SA. Downside (perhaps) is that you'll only be doing software and you'll be in Austin, not NYC. Golden Gate (very consultant friendly) has hired straight out of undergrad in the past, not sure if that was one-off though.

Others that come to mind as good fits are some of the middle-market funds that recruit at Penn--look into Audax and Altamont specifically.

With that being sad, I agree with the above comment--focus on IB also as it's easy to get burned if you shoot solely for a single sector.

Officia quasi architecto ab neque tempora et ipsa. Est a quidem omnis laudantium distinctio error deleniti. Eius voluptas praesentium consequatur et voluptas est et.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Private Equity

• The Riverside Company 99.5%
  • Blackstone Group 99.0%
  • Warburg Pincus 98.4%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Blackstone Group 98.9%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 98.4%
  • Ardian 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Bain Capital 99.0%
  • Blackstone Group 98.4%
  • Warburg Pincus 97.9%
  • Starwood Capital Group 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

• Principal (9) $653
  • Director/MD (22) $569
  • Vice President (92) $362
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (90) $280
  • 2nd Year Associate (205) $268
  • 1st Year Associate (387) $229
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (29) $154
  • 2nd Year Analyst (83) $134
  • 1st Year Analyst (246) $122
  • Intern/Summer Associate (32) $82
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (314) $59
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”