Sophomore Internship Advice - Summer 2019

Laro98's picture

I am a sophomore at a semi-target (e.g. Berkeley, Michigan, USC, etc) and have received an offer at aMM investment bank which has offices in San Francisco, Dallas, and Boston in their Generalist M&A Summer Analyst program (for Juniors in college). The HQ is in Dallas however and I received an offer for that location. I was wondering if it is something I should go for if I am recruiting for BB/EB NYC/SF Junior Summer. How would an internship in Dallas affect my chances considering the work seems to be good (the deal-flow is decent) and interns get exposure to many parts of the transaction (drafting CIMs, conducting research, as well as valuation)? Also, pay is on par with most BBs/EBs Junior SA programs.

Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments (11)

Sep 24, 2018

The way I see it unless you're confident of getting an offer from a BB in NYC, this is the best thing you're going to get(which is great). Should place you to be very competitive for next year.

Sep 24, 2018

@monkeytomd When you say "confident of getting an offer from a BB NYC" do you mean for sophomore summer?

Sep 24, 2018

Means you're in the pipeline for sophomore summer

Sep 24, 2018

Congrats! How did you get this as sophomore....thanks!

Sep 24, 2018

@RocketToTheMoon I extensively networked since fall of Freshman year, keeping in touch with the people at the office. Once my freshman summer internship started, I initiated the conversation again and then formally had interviews with a few people before being invited to the Superday. Also mentioned how I was graduating a year early. Hope this helped.

Learn More

7,548 questions across 469 investment banks. The WSO Investment Banking Interview Prep Course has everything you'll ever need to start your career on Wall Street. Technical, Behavioral and Networking Courses + 2 Bonus Modules. Learn more.

Sep 25, 2018
Laro98:

@RocketToTheMoon I extensively networked since fall of Freshman year, keeping in touch with the people at the office. Once my freshman summer internship started, I initiated the conversation again and then formally had interviews with a few people before being invited to the Superday. Also mentioned how I was graduating a year early. Hope this helped.

To clarify, did you recruit as a junior (a year early) and are planning on extending your graduation date back to the normal 2021?

To answer the main question, I am familiar with the MM firm you are referring to and have heard good things. Think it's definitely the best option to set you up for BB/EB recruiting.

Sep 24, 2018

Bump - just want more insight