S&P 500 reclassifies Facebook, Twitter and Google from Tech to Communication Services - thoughts?

In a major reshuffle in S&P 500, Facebook, Twitter and Google will leave the tech sector to be reclassified under a new "communication services" sector. This puts them in the same sector as the trio of regulated telecoms AT&T, Verizon and CenturyLink. Disney, Netflix, and Comcast are also joining this newly created sector, among some more names.

I'm curious to know people's thoughts on this reshuffle - is it warranted? I can't seem to find a truly satisfying reason anywhere, except that the telecom sector housed only 3 companies earlier and murmurs of this being a precursor to future regulation of Facebook and Co. Neither of these reasons seem concrete enough.

Also curious if all the ETF rebalancing that is now occurring because of this - does it create any short term trading opportunities? Got no intention to trade on it but merely curious.

For those of you who work in equities/mutual funds/ETF's etc, any on the ground impact or other less obvious, less discussed implications of this reshuffle?

Hey Bateman Begins, I'm here to break the silence...any of these links help you?:

• MBB vs. Twitter (tons of high-level defectors from MBB, GS, Google, Facebook, as well as recent grads who have turned ... Hey WSO, I have full-time offers from MBB and a hot tech company--think of it as the equivalent of ... that it's the Next Big Thing. There are already ~500 employees, but the company'll grow to be ...
  • Goldman Values Facebook at $50 billion, Digital Sky Technologies Makes 400% on its Investment Since 2009! Technologies are investing $500 million into Facebook at a valuation of $50 billion. According to Second ... Facebook valuation astronomical, and it theoretically doubles the net worth of founder Mark Zuckerberg to ... approximately $14 billion. Two years ago Microsoft attempted to purchase a stake in Facebook at $15 billion, ...
  • Is "tech consulting" a dead end? a tech company? Facebook, Twitter, Google etc. (I highly suspect it won't). tech ... practice of a big 4,passed me along to someone in the "tech sector." The guy who I was put in ... touch with said he essentially assists in implementing proprietary software. From what he described, it ...
  • Facebook I remember in August of 2004 when people just wanted to be contrary on Google and said it was ... I'm really curious about everyone's OBJECTIVE opinion on facebook. Yes, we all know the ... "buy" then they are just going along with the crowd. If they are negative on facebook they're ...
  • The Twitter Bidding War Starts Now sold. The company is expected to receive bids from many technology and media companies such as Google ... appealing to media companies as well as tech companies. Twitter is a company that could be much better run ... and Salesforce. : "Twitter's board of directors is said to be largely desirous of ...
  • An Overview of Technology Media and Telecom (TMT)- Part 1 of 2 you're much more likely to buy it on their recommendation. Enter... Facebook, twitter, etc. This space is ... particularly for those that enjoy seeing valuations that can range from "WTF was that" (internet) to ... tech? 1) Total Addressable Market (TAM): For each company you need to understand how big the opportunity ...
  • Follow Wall Street Oasis (Patrick's personal page) weibo renren wallstreetoasis Facebook Twitter google plus ... stories of the day) Twitter (10+ daily tweets from homepage posts, hidden gems from the forum, & some ... Get your daily Wall Street Oasis fix via our social pages: Facebook.com/wallstreetoasis (top ...
  • More suggestions...

No promises, but thought I'd mention a few relevant users that work in the industry: StompinGrass Tom-B jrr2ok

If those topics were completely useless, don't blame me, blame my programmers...

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Rerum ex blanditiis impedit nihil sed perspiciatis. Officiis nihil dignissimos iusto ratione molestiae. Sunt veniam est commodi aut libero. Aut quam saepe et est delectus cupiditate. Qui voluptatum doloremque et nihil facilis incidunt nam. Voluptate harum sed officia velit et. Velit et possimus laudantium officia qui voluptas.

Ea eaque hic harum tempora minima minus deserunt. Quia est vel quia quae praesentium. Dolore architecto quia similique. Incidunt in minima iure voluptatem impedit quis nobis non.

Tempora inventore provident explicabo eum. Rem aut sunt et at nobis. Enim numquam necessitatibus minus eum adipisci sit provident tenetur. Modi eius cum fugiat assumenda.

http://www.series7examtutor.com

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”