Starting a Hedge Fund Requires $100 Million?

I'm not looking to start a hedge fund (right now) but I recently read somewhere that starting a hedge fund requires roughly $100 Million in capital. Is this true?

I understand that if you can raise more capital, then go for it. I also understand that in the realm of hedge funds, $100 million isn't "that much" when compared to titans like Citadel, Bridgewater, etc. However, compared to the average person, $100 million seems like an impossible amount of capital to raise right off the bat.

My question to you is: is it necessary to raise at least $100 million to start a hedge fund? or could one get started off by by raising a few million in capital? ($1-5 million).

That makes sense because institutional investors may invest millions (or tens of millions) at a time. In other words, around $100 million is when you graduate from a garage-band hedge fund into a small "legit" fund that can be taken seriously.

Essentially all the big fund starts started out fairly small. Einhorn 900k. I forget on griffin. Millenium was like 35 million (relatively large). Dalio was like in an apartment.

And there are a ton of prop/start up hedge fund connections that share resources to keep costs down.

The 100 million number is false. That number is the I can afford my nyc mortgage number.

Best Response

kinghongkong has made the primary point.

Technically your opening sentence is correct, itsSpaghettiTime, although it would be better if it said "raising a hedge fund requires at least $100m in commitments".

As you probably know, alternative investment funds charge both a management fee and a performance fee. The performance fee, or "carry", is the share of the profits that the partners running the fund get to keep. That number is usually 20%. The management fee is a fixed percentage charged to the assets of the fund. That number is usually 2%, although top-tier managers can get away with a higher number (2.5-4%, depending on who they are) simply because so many people want to invest.

The management fee is used to 'keep the lights on'. This means it is your budget to pay salaries for yourself and other investment professionals you hire, rent, all your technology expenses, professional services fees (legal, audit, accounting, etc.).

Mathematically you can see that securing $100m in commitments for your fund launch would mean you are guaranteed a $2m budget for your first year. For a small shop with one or two partners and one to three analysts, that's barely enough to cover costs.

If you are not raising external capital (you're simply creating a Limited Partnership fund vehicle to manage your own personal capital within a structure that makes offers great transparency on your track record), you can ignore all of the above because your expenses are effectively non-existent. (They would only be tax and audit [if you so chose to spend mid five figures on having an entity with zero external investors rubberstamped as to the fraud-free nature of your transactions].)

Jason Mudrick, for instance, started Mudrick Capital in 2009 with $5m of personal capital after leaving Contrarian and crushing it there for years on their equity vehicle. Today he's past $1.75b.

Secondly, as others have said, getting past $100m opens you up to checks from institutional investors. The reason this is the threshold is that institutional investors have (a) a minimum check size and (b) a concentration limit.

The former exists because of scale; a $4b university endowment or a pension fund with $8b allocated to public market managers does not have time to put all the work into diligencing a manager for a $10m check.

The latter exists because no investor wants to be too much of a fund's asset base. If you were 40% of the AUM in a $75m fund and you decided you wanted to trim your commitment by half, you are singlehandedly reducing the fund's management fee income by 20% (because that's how much you reduced their asset base), and as we've seen from the illustration I made above, you put the fund in a precarious position in terms of operational viability: they may not be able to cover expenses. The $100m threshold lets people start writing eight-figure checks to you with comfort.

In short, you wouldn't want to raise external capital in an amount below $50m unless you planned to take no salary and hire no team members. If you're managing personal capital, there isn't any minimum.

I am permanently behind on PMs, it's not personal.

You seem well informed about this subject APAE and your explanation clears things up. I bookmarked your comment for reference.

Would a funds physical location drastically affect its budget from the management fee? For example, a fund located in NYC will have higher office rent and higher salaries to pay than if it were in the midwest. I know this wouldn't affect the $100m that needs to be raised to attract institutional investors, but I was just curious about how it could affect the budget.

Ut facilis dolorem aperiam vel. Minima et assumenda soluta labore voluptatem voluptas. Eligendi eos ipsa optio asperiores aut velit fugit. Unde earum dolorem ducimus sequi numquam itaque inventore dignissimos.

Rem officiis repellat eaque tempora molestiae impedit. Quia architecto magni et consequatur qui. Facere necessitatibus reiciendis adipisci ducimus quod.

I am permanently behind on PMs, it's not personal.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Point72 98.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 97.9%
  • Citadel Investment Group 96.8%
  • Magnetar Capital 95.8%
  • AQR Capital Management 94.7%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Magnetar Capital 98.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 97.8%
  • Blackstone Group 96.8%
  • Two Sigma Investments 95.7%
  • Citadel Investment Group 94.6%

Professional Growth Opportunities

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• AQR Capital Management 99.0%
  • Point72 97.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 96.9%
  • Magnetar Capital 95.8%
  • Citadel Investment Group 94.8%

Total Avg Compensation

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Portfolio Manager (9) $1,648
  • Vice President (23) $474
  • Director/MD (12) $423
  • NA (6) $322
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (24) $287
  • Manager (4) $282
  • Engineer/Quant (71) $274
  • 2nd Year Associate (30) $251
  • 1st Year Associate (73) $190
  • Analysts (225) $179
  • Intern/Summer Associate (22) $131
  • Junior Trader (5) $102
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (250) $85
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”