Starting an ATM business with $5,000......$50,000

Birthday recently just passed. Got gifted $5,000 by a friend. Honest to god, I typically blow my money on dumb shit but for once I was thinking, why not use these funds to start an ATM business, start small and place it in those inner city borough stores/shops in NY that only takes cash? Has anyone else thought about doing this? You know, gathering a bunch of your pals to each chip in $5,000 until you raise a fund of lets say, $50,000 and really do this shit big. How profitable is the ATM business in NYC? 

Definitely a great idea.

I heard that you can make on average $180-$360 a month from just one ATM machine. If you buy 40 used machines and allocate the rest of the capital to invest in actually populating the machines with cash, you can make roughly $7,200/month (being conservative with $180/month profit from each machine), just by utilizing the same funds over and over again. That's a 14.4% return on your original $50k investment, in just one month alone.

The problem would lie in actually finding those shops/stores, and convincing the owners tket you put a machine there. Also tax stuff. You don't want the IRS coming for you. Oh, and don't get robbed in the inner boroughs when you're refilling the machines up with cash. Take a gun with you.

Overall, good hustle.

Most Helpful

I'm going to be stupidly a negative Nancy here, but hopefully also a voice of reason.

I maybe pull $60 or so out once a month from my bank ATM, which is free. I'll maybe spend $20 on Chinese at the good local cash only place, and lend a friend $20 to buy weed with. (I don't smoke, it just tastes nasty to me, although I can build a pretty nasty gravity bong)

You're going to deal with lower income neighborhoods, costs to shopkeepers to park the ATM there, and both insurance fees, and significant costs when people decide to f*** with them. (do you think the bodega owner will care? it's yours not his)  Don't ignore these costs.  Carting thousands of dollars around isn't free either.  Banks deal with this by doing it in bulk with well designed policies.  A bodega ATM? not so much.

The only difference between Asset Management and Investment Research is assets. I generally see somebody I know on TV on Bloomberg/CNBC etc. once or twice a week. This sounds cool, until I remind myself that I see somebody I know on ESPN five days a week.

the ATM machine will cost you around $3,000...that is a sunk cost

then you will need $2-3,000 per week to stock the machine.

Assume you make $200/month based on $10,000 of cash taken from the machine

200/10,000 = 2% per month * 12 = 24% per year.

however, remember the $3,000 you spent to buy the machine...at $200/month revenue you will need 15 months of operation to pay for the initial equipment cost

That is indeed a good business in the ong run if you are stocking the machines yourself...but to scale and make this your fulltime income, ($10,000 per month) you will need 50 machines = 50 * $3,000 = $150,000 just to buy the machines....and then cash to stock the machines ($2,000 * 50 = $100,000 per week)

So, this business has an initial operating requirement of $250,000 (and that assumes you will be stocking the cash in the machines yourself every week)

What would be the business insurance on this operation?  i imagine pretty high...you gonna get robbed at some point...

I have a friend who owns around a dozen of these. The key is being friends with management / owners of high-traffic destinations where people need cash. If you aren’t already connected in the nightlife world, it’s going to be pretty hard to break in. Small convenience stores and bodegas are fine, but fee-sensitive people pulling out $5-$50 at a time are a lot less lucrative than drunks pulling out a few hundred and not worrying about the cost. 

At any rate, don’t forget that cash is a dying business. It’s not going away tomorrow, but it’s been increasingly less relevant over the past decade and the pandemic has only accelerated this trend - most people I know carry little-to-no cash, and I barely even use physical credit cards these days; it’s all about Apple Pay and Venmo/Zelle for mobile payments

I assume you're a Brit given your profile pic. A new law was passed last year that requires people buying from crypto ATMs to provide a lot of identifying information - picture of ID, face, email, name, DoB. Some ATMs even have a fingerprint scanner.

Since the only advantage of crypto ATMs was anonymity, the crypto ATM business in the UK is dead imo.

Dolor fuga omnis aut et temporibus nihil sunt et. Quis accusantium autem omnis error. Ipsum ullam quis laudantium excepturi quae harum occaecati. Rerum qui quia nam aut.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”