Starting BB analyst, what to do with 400k?

Just found out for the first time that I have 400k of stock in a single f50 company (don't want to get into it). I've been in the upper middle class or at least I thought so (thanks to good raising by my parents) my entire life. I'm 22 years old and about to start working full time at a BB. Should I get some sort of money manager or just diversify and hold. Any other investment ideas that don't take up much of my own time since I'll have very little of it.

Not trolling. I'm the finance guy in my family at 22, as funny as that sounds. I have complete control as of now and can invest it in whatever I want. Don't want to explain why it's not properly invested and is in one stock. I was asking this forum for some ideas of stuff to do with it with little overhead management. I have experience in investing in stocks but don't think my job will allow me to actively trade or that I'm good enough to. That's why I'm asking this forum of ibankers what they would do if they were in my place.

At my bank you cannot invest if you do not have clearance from the compliance department (and it is very unlikely that they would allow me to, given that I do country coverage on a whole country). I can only put my money in funds.

I'm grateful that I have two middle fingers, I only wish I had more.

Good point, I should've corrected myself. Do not leave it in one single stock is good advise. What you invest in should be an educated decision.

I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars, buddy. A player. Or nothing. See my Blog & AMA

Best Response

Choose how risky you want to be with it..very high level. For instance 50% stocks 50% bonds (this would be conservative).

Then go out and find a good stock ETF (like VTI, VYM) and a good bond ETF (don't know any) and buy them. Look for ones that are well diversified and own a lot of different securities but have low management expense ratios.

Agree with @"EuroLocust" get yourself a PWM and get that diversified before you start work and they slap all sorts of restrictions on your ability to invest.

"Everybody needs money. That's why they call it money." - Mickey Bergman - Heist (2001)

Not true. You can get into Chase Private Banking with around $400,000 especially if they know you are going to be growing your personal wealth through BB employment. The hard and fast $$ amounts are malleable for those in fields with high earning potential. They want to get you early so you'll stay later.

"Everybody needs money. That's why they call it money." - Mickey Bergman - Heist (2001)

Marker:

market looks over-extended. I'll dump everything in equities now and wait.

No one else thinks this is good advice?

Regards

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

cphbravo96:
Marker:

market looks over-extended. I'll dump everything in equities now and wait.

No one else thinks this is good advice?

Regards

i am personally on a risk off mode, not even switching to alternative investments, but holding purely cash. Granted OP could diversify and take a lesser hit if shit does hit the fan, but i doubt he has the time to do so and that takes a fair bit of experience.

if you show pics of your account and give your account information i'll be able to help. there's a nigerian prince looking for assistance in forming a new company

I eat success for breakfast...with skim milk

Believe it or not, I've heard it's super, super hard.
"Chick-fil-A hand picks their operators, about 75 per year, from over 20,000 notices of interest per year. That's less than .05%." Not an easy one to get into, plus I heard they have this thing against owners having too many units. Supposedly it's not like McDonald's or Subway or some small, growing franchise where the sky's the limit and you can have 20-30 units or more.

jargon223:

Believe it or not, I've heard it's super, super hard.
"Chick-fil-A hand picks their operators, about 75 per year, from over 20,000 notices of interest per year. That's less than .05%."
Not an easy one to get into, plus I heard they have this thing against owners having too many units. Supposedly it's not like McDonald's or Subway or some small, growing franchise where the sky's the limit and you can have 20-30 units or more.

To add to that, you can't just invest in a Chick-fil-a, you have to be the operator and work full-time...so he would have to pass up on finance, which he probably wouldn't want to do.

Regards

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

I would look into seeing someone at Edward Jones. I inherited some money a few years back and invested with him. I have been very pleased with his performance. I have 3 accounts, one an IRA and the others I believe trading accounts of sorts (yeah, I should probably know a bit more than this). Usually 10% return and last year was a stellar 20%. If I knew more about equities, maybe I'd do it myself but yeah, all I know is commodities. A lot of guys at my work manage their own portfolios, though.

I met and talked to Dan Truett, the son of the one who started it. He operates a Chick-Fil-A in Columbus, Georgia, where I used to live. I also heard that IF you get selected to open a franchise, they tell you where you're going to open one but they help you financially and get you fitted out in a turnkey operation. There was a guy in college who worked at Chick Fil A over the years and was looking to open a franchise if they'd let him. He's an operations manager there now, whatever that is exactly (retail side or corporate, idk)

buy 10,000 of spy every month and once u start making decent money continue the habit, so basically it will force u to get in the habit

it will also keep you liquid in case you need to buy a place to live etc have unexpected expenses

I think you should sell all of your shares in said company and invest in holograms, have your house full of different celebrity holograms. You can have programmers continually working on these different characters so they are always evolving and acting different. For example, one morning Tina Fey and Dr. Dre are eating breakfast while Ron Burgundy is doing yoga when you wake up.

Now is that something you might be interested it?

In all seriousness, the main point is that you won't have enough time to manage that money if you are working as a BB analyst. If it were me, I would value the removal of stress and time spent investing that money so I can enjoy life more. So again, find an investment vehicle (no, that does not mean a Ferrari) that you can put your money in and not worry about for the near-term while also knowing that you will be receiving appreciation of that investment. I think BRK.A is a good idea as it is a conglomerate that is already diversified and has some of the greatest investors (buffet, munger) working the portfolio.

This also depends on what you want to do with the $400,000. What are your goals with this money, and how aggressively will you need to invest it in order to reach these goals?

Move it into 50% Blackberry and 50% Best Buy stock. I hear that's the future.

But seriously, you took at least one portfolio theory class in undergrad, right? Invest in the market portfolio, and adjust your risk to your desired level with the risk-free rate. CML line for the win. That'll take you about 5 minutes, and you don't have time as a banker to be doing hardcore Asset Management.

Buy 40 emini s&p 500 futures contracts and roll them over at each expiration. That will turn into well over 1 million in 5-6 years. With the remaining 350,000 k buy long term sp 500 index call options and put the rest into the mutual fund fairholme capital. Its ran by Bruce Berkowitz, one of the best in the business

Pay off debts. Riskless 4-7% after tax return. You may have to park all of your securities with your bank for compliance purposes. If not, create a brokerage account now (or wait, if the stock isn't something highly volatile). Buy as few ETFs as possible that give you as much global diversification as possible. Preferably all equity. Maybe have 25k cash, and 25 in guaranteed interest-bearing securities, like a bank CD or something (something that you are able to hold until maturity and make sure of that, so not a bond ETF or the like). This is your best option given: 1) lack of knowledge about investing, 2) lack of time to learn about investing, 3) that even if you had time to learn, it can be a labor intensive process that you still don't have time for.

I think you should buy a small central London studio in London and just rent it out to some well paying international business students who need a place to stay close to LBS or one of the Universities...easy money, tax free (possibly) and good rental yield depending on where you purchase...that's just what I would do with it anyway...and most of the time most of London property just keeps on rising in value and the demand is just completely outstripping supply (although be careful and if you do go down the buy in London route, try to avoid paying more than $1,400/ sq ft...the property market is quite overheated and I think it will explode soon somehow)!..

Good luck

Nihil ipsam quod rerum quos. Quo qui ipsum aut voluptatem tenetur eum sed et.

Nisi eaque eos magnam architecto mollitia rerum. Enim fuga nostrum suscipit soluta voluptatem dolores.

Quia incidunt commodi et placeat. Enim vero alias aut. Sequi optio quia repudiandae atque porro dicta.

Architecto hic voluptatem eaque itaque adipisci accusantium ea officia. Non hic et cupiditate voluptates voluptate ratione. Ea illo quam error deserunt laborum voluptas. Aut corporis odio neque nihil sit.

Et vitae quos neque maiores error vitae commodi. Et dolorem libero est aut voluptatem cumque. Ut ipsa possimus porro dolor sequi eius impedit. Illum et molestias sunt corporis ut. Quia cumque aut blanditiis suscipit molestiae beatae aut similique.

Doloremque dolorum non et sunt qui blanditiis. Et eum qui asperiores. Dolores qui vero voluptatem quis. Ad ex quis rerum sed ipsum ea.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”