To put it simply, unless you're an insane MD with massive clients that you could pull-- most likely can't due to contract. It will be excruciating to try and start an investment bank and actually get clients.

False. I know someone who started one. There are hundreds of IBs in the U.S. You can run a lean team with small LMM-MM deals and make a decent living working the hell out of your network, or paying a BD guy to pursue LMM capital raises (debt and equity), mergers, owner divestitures, and acquisitions. You can absolutely start your own IB, get in touch with a good 3rd party broker-dealer and don't expect to be profitable right away. Typically the IB you started will only get it's first few deals bc of your personal track record, so if you've done $x billion worth of transactions in the past you should be fine.

Most Helpful

For the love of all that is sane, please stop spamming the forum with 12 year old reading level questions. 

I wouldn't say less than a dozen. Go on LinkedIn and there are hundreds of IBs in the US alone. Pretty much any halfway decent MD with a few years from even a medium sized bank with a few $B in transaction volume over the years as a track record, solid industry connects, and relentless hustle to chase after middle-market deals with a lean team can make it happen. I've seen it firsthand. There are more no-names chasing down $billions in transaction volume among the private LMM and MM markets than you would believe. 3 guys splitting the commission on $300million aggregate of transaction volume for the year from straightforward deals isn't a bad gig.

Trust me, back in the days when I was really down bad I would go through LinkedIn and create my own personal database of small-time regional boutiques and the people involved with them. Life isn't all BBs and EBs

Unless you mean by start an EB or the next BB, then yes, that's a very elite group. But starting your own no-name regional that pulls in a few $million in revenue each year is actually within the realm of possibility. 

I appreciate your concern. I def don’t feel like I am Gd. I feel fine. Maybe just not understanding etiquette here. Cultural differences maybe too. Misunderstanding. Miscommunication. Who knows. But all is well thankfully

Quis voluptate consequatur non assumenda. Qui necessitatibus qui facere voluptatem. Id officiis nobis dolor commodi vitae iure. Pariatur voluptatem odio totam dolores enim nostrum natus sit.

Aut neque fuga voluptas distinctio autem est. Nam magnam quas maxime temporibus. Vitae quia magnam id reiciendis consequatur ipsum. Earum laudantium voluptate et ex voluptatibus. Sequi dolorem repellat quaerat natus assumenda. Maxime occaecati aperiam et doloribus quia tempora dolorum saepe.

Sit ut saepe aut illo aut laboriosam dolores. Ab ex repellat sed omnis laudantium ea doloremque.

Corporis neque qui in aspernatur minus consequatur. A ratione consequuntur asperiores modi quidem quis. Veritatis quo totam aliquam.

Sunt ipsa quas quia impedit asperiores quaerat aut consequatur. Sint veniam omnis ut facere exercitationem. Qui eveniet architecto adipisci sed quae quia aliquid animi.

Eos quae laboriosam eos sint. Et quia tempora esse sunt quia sed laboriosam voluptas. Esse veritatis vero qui a cupiditate placeat illum. Ipsam sed et et rerum.

Aut perferendis eum harum ad qui aut cupiditate. Blanditiis est tempore aspernatur voluptas quis in animi. Suscipit ab omnis perferendis soluta quisquam qui.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”