Starting on debt side at a pere 100

Would love to hear some opinions of starting on the debt side of a large repe shop doing everything from vanilla first position mortgages all the way to pref equity and construction loans. I would presume this is a good starting point as deal flow may be quicker than equity, opportunity to see more deals thereby learning strategy side more quickly. Would this be better than doing cmbs originating at a BB bank? Some friends I know who do that seem to do very little analysis, don't even adjust assumptions in models just check to see if certain credit metrics are hit. Is this accurate and does this set you up well to switch to equity side if I wanted to do this in a few years?

Most Helpful

I'm a huge advocate for starting on the debt side regardless. Have some bias behind that, but whether its at a PE shop, Lender, Broker, etc, debt gives you tons of volume which is crucial early on in your career. I can only really speak to the brokerage/lender side, but you'll definitely still see volume on the REPE side, just likely fewer transactions completed. I would shy away from trying to figure out what shop is the best place to start (REPE, BB, Brokerage, etc) and focus more on the sector of the business, ie. Debt, IS, Acquisition, so on. Personally, you can't go wrong with Debt, and top 100 PE will likely give you the same exit ops as CMBS at a BB.

Explicabo consequuntur debitis iste excepturi aspernatur beatae ut est. Sunt qui ducimus odio culpa vel omnis aut.

Natus molestiae et et voluptatibus error facilis. Ut et maiores asperiores. Facilis tenetur mollitia veritatis ullam.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”